Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Pandemic a handful of times, but I recently picked up Legacy to play with my wife and her parents. In the run-up, my wife and I tried a game to make sure we have the rules down (and get some practice and, hopefully, some confidence). We had one cube on St. Petersburg and one or two on Baghdad and Istanbul. Following an epidemic, the infection rate was 3. After intensifying the infection deck, we had 6+ outbreaks in a single turn since these cities are connected. My wife flatly told me that she doesn't like insta-death games and her parents probably won't play it again after that happens in one of their games.

I understand that this sort of thing is mostly ruled by chance and that one can reasonably recognize a region is in danger if connected cities have multiple cubes already on them. My question is, how often does it happen that cities with single cubes suddenly blow up like that and cause such a sudden loss. Is it rare enough that we can safely house-rule that chain-reactions can't repeat on a single turn rather than the written rule that they can't repeat when resolving a single infection card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess what happened.

The infection rate is how many cards you draw during the Infect step - NOT how many cubes you add.

Always add 1 cube.

You can get a chain reaction of outbreaks, but each city can only outbreak once per card draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can also possibly have 3 cubes of multiple colors on a city too. I messed that rule up when I first started playing Pandemic. If for example, I had a city with 3 yellow cubes and an outbreak caused it to get 1 black cube, this is not another outbreak. There would have also had to be 3 black cubes on the city which also had 3 yellow cubes before it would have been another outbreak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krawhitham, we were playing those rules correctly. Thanks, though.

Thanks, Paul, that would probably have made a difference.

I didn't explain the problem correctly in my first post. The problem we had was that we drew Baghdad for an epidemic and again after intensifying. Its outbreak put a third cube on Istanbul which was the second infection card we drew. This caused Baghdad to have another outbreak. We drew St. Petersburg next--which already had black cubes from the previous outbreak-- and that triggered the Istanbul-Baghdad chain reaction again.

Because we were counting black and blue cubes together, we probably shouldn't have had 6 outbreaks, but we might still have run out of black cubes. Even so, the combination of card draws was so unlikely that I thought it might be ok to rewrite the rule that allows multiple chain reactions per turn without making the game too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The problem we had was that we drew Baghdad for an epidemic and again after intensifying. Its outbreak put a third cube on Istanbul which was the second infection card we drew. This caused Baghdad to have another outbreak.

Check the "Common Mistakes" pinned topic. Any city will only ever outbreak once in a given turn.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/300287/common-mistakes

We made the same mistake and came away with the same feeling of "instant lose" but it's not the way the game plays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
Quote:
The problem we had was that we drew Baghdad for an epidemic and again after intensifying. Its outbreak put a third cube on Istanbul which was the second infection card we drew. This caused Baghdad to have another outbreak.

Check the "Common Mistakes" pinned topic. Any city will only ever outbreak once in a given turn.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/300287/common-mistakes

We made the same mistake and came away with the same feeling of "instant lose" but it's not the way the game plays...

once per card draw, so 2-4 times per turn. multiple outbreaks in a danger area can happen with a particularly unlucky draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Tú Tran
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
We drew St. Petersburg next--which already had black cubes from the previous outbreak-- and that triggered the Istanbul-Baghdad chain reaction again.

When drawing St.Petersburg, you have to put a blue cube on that city.

Then, as mentioned by others, a city can contain up to 3 cubes of each color. To extrapolate, a city can contain 3 blue cubes, 3 red cubes, 3 black cubes and 3 yellow cubes. However, if you ever draw that specific city card, let's say St.Petersburg, you only have to add a blue cube. You will only have to manage a blue outbreak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Bell
msg tools
Outbreaks
The big mistake I made was when there was an epedemic, I was drawing from the top of the deck rather than the bottom. That increased my outbreaks dramatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbell995 wrote:
The big mistake I made was when there was an epedemic, I was drawing from the top of the deck rather than the bottom. That increased my outbreaks dramatically.

Though, you can still outbreak during the epidemic if during the off chance the bottom card contains the cube of the disease color that came from a different outbreak (For example, Washington outbreaking into NYC and then during the next turn's draw phase an Epidemic is drawn and NYC, which hasn't been drawn from the infection deck, is the bottom card, triggering an outbreak right there, even a chain outbreak if no one removed any cubes from Washington). Of course, boarder outbreaks can't cause an epidemic outbreak (Miami outbreaks into Atlanta and then Atlanta is the epidemic card. Since Miami produces yellow cubes and Atlanta produces Blue cubes, Atlanta doesn't outbreak as discussed above). I've had a couple of Epi-outbreaks happen to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.