Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a local store, cheaper to go through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to buy the packs online as they come out then Team Covenant is a pretty good service. It's probably the option with the least hassle and those guys do offer a lot to the community for free through their website and youtube channel. So it feels good to support them.

If you have a game store around you then buying the packs from your game store will definitely be cheaper, and could possibly connect you with other players in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Team Covenant! They used to cover Monsterpocalypse, they covered the first grand finals and are very customer focused. Don't know about prices but they are solid to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Team Covenant, and if I didn't have a FLGS where I play every week they would be my first choice. I buy from them when it's stuff my store can't get. So far a few LOTR packs and their great ANR acrylic tokens. They aren't the cheapest, so if you're happy with the price for the convenience, I do recommend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
My local shops don't carry LOTR so I'm in the same boat, which is how they got on my radar. I usually get my Conquest and Netrunner packs from the FLGSs in the area though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect to buy every pack as it comes out but haven't looked at the TC subscription plan yet. I guess it come down to whether it's any cheaper than buying it through other means such as Amazon or the local game store (if any). No worries, I've got until December to figure out the best option.

Edit: Just looked. It's about $17 per pack and about $38 per box. That seems massively overpriced to me. So, I'll just buy them individually through wherever is convenient at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP;

TC charge the full msrp, and throw it in a paper envelope for shipping the chapter packs (Ive had a LOTR sub for quite a while now), I forget how my last deluxe shipped.

They dont do ANYTHING special for shipping to protect stuff.

Its good as you dont have to keep track, things just show up in the mail.

But if you want a couple of dollars off a pack, go through CSI etc.

dboeren wrote:
Edit: Just looked. It's about $17 per pack and about $38 per box. That seems massively overpriced to me. So, I'll just buy them individually through wherever is convenient at the time.

massively? that makes it sound like its 1-x the cost, its not, Asmodee jacked prices, things have gone up from the days of $8-10 packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll defend my statment.

Assuming you want content as soon as it is released (and that would be a fair comparison to TC's subscriptions) the cheapest (and most reliable) option I've found is CSI. At CSI the price of an LCG pack is about USD 13. The cheapest shipping they offer is about USD 5 for me. So TC is actually cheaper than CSI for me if you preorder each LCG pack separately (which some times is necessary considering these packs can sell out). Deluxe expansions are USD 26 and my cheapest shipping option for those is USD 7. So TC is a bit pricier than CSI. That said TC's shipping tends to be much much faster than CSI's cheapest shipping option for me.

Unless you are viewing products from before the Asmodee pricing restructure Amazon either has incredibly inflated prices or don't offer certain LCG products anymore. So your Amazon Prime account won't be too valuable going forward in the LCG world.

The absolute cheapest options is to bundle LCG purchases together with other game purchases and get passed the free shipping option for the online retailer in question. At CSI that is USD 100. Consider though the downside that you now have to wait to amass that purchase total and sometimes these packs sell out so you'll have to wait for reprints.

All that said if I just want to get a pack as soon as it is released than TC may not be the cheapest option all the time but it sure is the option that is the easiest. Also they have been throwing you some bonus stuff like a token every now and then if you have a subscription. Plus they are huge content creators for LCGs so in my mind the couple bucks extra I give them for a deluxe every now and then is not wasted money.

ADD: Just to put things in context even if you buy the packs at your FLGS they usually charge around 15 bucks for a pack so it's not that different in price and thse online places saved you the time and gasoline by shipping it to your house. Really I think any of these possible avenues are a wash more or less except the idea of bundling purchases, which is usually the thrifty way to go.

It use to be possible to get packs at a great discount from places like CSI and Amazon, but Asmodee changed the pricing structure for all online retailers to prevent them from undercutting the FLGSs. The FLGS prices have stayed consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also good to note that their subscription price includes the cost of shipping... also, a newer addition is the opportunity to subscribe for the "nightmare" (LoTR LCG) or the special decks that come out -- not just the adventure packs.

I have been a subscriber now for a while, support their token collections, and love their customer service! Totally worth it:

I am currently subscribed to their LoTR LCG, Android Netrunner, Ashes, and of course Arkham Horror packs. Ashes is the only one that hasn't been fulfilled yet, but not due to TC's end. Also, if you are looking for a card play mat, theirs are really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catavari wrote:
It is also good to note that their subscription price includes the cost of shipping

It most certainly does not. (per description)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Catavari wrote:
It is also good to note that their subscription price includes the cost of shipping

Yup, shipping is extra. There are two reasons to sign up for Team Covenant subscriptions. One, you want to support them as you enjoy the things that they do for the community. Or two, you are so lazy and/or forgetful that you can't be bothered to buy it from any of the cheaper online (Amazon, CSI, MM, etc) or local gaming stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Catavari wrote:

oh my, egg on my face! LOL

My mistake, their new webstore does indeed price without shipping and then they add it in... I was going off their older store front when it was a flat $15 for each FFG pack - which then went to $17. Actually, this is my first time coming looking at their new store front so thanks for piquing my interest to check them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
They do not include shipping. I assume this is because shipping expense is variable based on region and their flat rate shipping option was not economical for them. Though Dboeren was including shipping in his sticker shock post it seems just incase anyone though the TC subscriptions were even more expensive than they really were. My post was taking shipping into account when I was doing my comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.