Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to make sense out of what's available and what's meant to be played together. Any help is appreciated.

1) I had the original TS game - thin board, etc. That's my travel copy now.
2) I then bought the deluxe edition. Nicer box, nice thick board, and the "basic black" cards - the radiation symbol with the US star and Soviet hammer & sickle.
3) I acquired the optional cards for that set (Cambridge Five, etc.), and Promo Pack One (Non-Aligned Movement, etc.) and Promo Pack 2 (Kremlin Flu, etc.). All have the same "basic black" card appearance.
4) I backed the TS Video Game kickstarter, and as part of that I ended up getting the *new* deluxe-edition card set - the "fancy flag" cards (red/blue with the US and Soviet flags on them). That set contains the Optional cards, but not the Promo Packs or Turn Zero.
5) Around the same time, I acquired the Turn Zero pack. The Turn Zero pack has the big crisis cards, the leader cards with the fancy-flag backgrounds, and two other cards with the basic black background (!).

So... what happened here? Is there a version of the promo packs with the fancy-flag background? What about the two basic-black cards in Turn Zero?

Sorry if this has been discussed to death before, but a quick search didn't turn it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as i know Turn Zero cards are intended to be played prior to the beginning of the game Turn 1 (hence the name).
Those are six "crisis" cards (3 pro-US and 3 Pro-USSR) and 10 "Statecraft" Cards (5 US and 5 USSR) - cards with "fancy" background, and other two cards with regular background.
Those two "basic" Cards in Turn zero should be Alternative Europe scoring card and Nationalist China card. They are intended to be used in a main (early war) deck (Alt.E.Scoring replaces regular Europe Scoring, and Nationalist China replaces Formosan Resolution) according to the results of the Crisis cards played on Zero Turn. (VE crisis card for Europe Scoring and CCW crisis card for Nationalist China).
Note that there are other effects of the crisis with counters to represent those events (Counter for Taiwan as Battleground etc.).

Promo Deck (8 cards: First Lightning, Berlin Wall, NAM etc. has one counter representing Zaire as stability 3 battleground, which is for noting the effect of Mobutu Sesse Seko card.

Hope this helps you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Picioccio
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but that's not what I was referring to.

GMT has put out a new version of basic game decks (and the optional cards) that have the fancy-flag background. I got that as a Kickstarter backer. However, that doesn't match the Promos or Turn Zero, it seems.

Are there new versions of the promos and Turn Zero (the other two cards, at least) that use the fancy-flag back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
mopic42 wrote:
Are there new versions of the promos and Turn Zero (the other two cards, at least) that use the fancy-flag back?

No

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You possibly got the Collector Edition version of the promo/Turn Zero cards instead.

Those are not compatible with the Deluxe Edition. You should reach out to GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
You possibly got the Collector Edition version of the promo/Turn Zero cards instead.

Those are not compatible with the Deluxe Edition. You should reach out to GMT.

I actually did do this, and GMT said there was no Deluxe Edition version of the promos and Turn Zero available.

I ended up ordering an extra deck so I can eventually make my own custom versions so Turn Zero and the promos are actually playable with my deluxe set. But it's annoying.

This would never have been a problem if they didn't bury the bit about "all previous" not including a deluxe set in the FAQ. And why in blazes would I only want to be able to play the expansion with the CE?

I have found GMT to be much more hit or miss than BGG'ers typically seem to think. They fix easy problems (like when my original deluxe T.S. set was missing dice), but that's about it.

Heck, I had even asked them in chat to send new minis for my CE since the tank turrets broke, which they said in a KS email that they'd do upon request. Never got 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It was 50 years ago today.
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:

This would never have been a problem if they didn't bury the bit about "all previous" not including a deluxe set in the FAQ. And why in blazes would I only want to be able to play the expansion with the CE?

I backed the KS and got the CE. I also ordered a couple extra decks to have backups (1 each of 'Deluxe Edition' and CE). At no time did I ever think (or assume) that the expansions would be made available for the Deluxe Edition. Not sure where you inferred that.

alexdrazen wrote:

I have found GMT to be much more hit or miss than BGG'ers typically seem to think. They fix easy problems (like when my original deluxe T.S. set was missing dice), but that's about it.

Heck, I had even asked them in chat to send new minis for my CE since the tank turrets broke, which they said in a KS email that they'd do upon request. Never got 'em.

Sorry that you had this experience, but I have never ever found GMT to be hit-or-miss. I send them emails whenever I have a problem (and I had a couple with the CE), and I always get a reply within a couple days, and a resolution. Never tried the chat window. I'd email 'em again and gently remind them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$30 tier wrote:

Quote:
and a physical copy of the "Twilight Struggle: What If?" expansion with Kickstarter-Exclusive Artwork

I had assumed the artwork would be something special for the front of the card, not the back, as a different back makes clear sleeves useless since you can ID the expansion cards (unless that is intended behavior).

The infuriating part was that because I discovered the KS while on vacation in another country and had to decide if I'd order in a couple days, before I got home, I missed the bit about a CE order not including a deluxe set as part of "all previous rewards" until after the deadline, because it was buried in the FAQ.

I am trying to remember if the CE cards are a different shape and size than the Deluxe, which would make even dark backed sleeves a problem. Off-hand I feel like they were, but I could be wrong.

I'll try again to see if I can get fixed minis, but I'm still not loving GMT the way some folks here do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mopic42 wrote:
I'm trying to make sense out of what's available and what's meant to be played together. Any help is appreciated.

1) I had the original TS game - thin board, etc. That's my travel copy now.
2) I then bought the deluxe edition. Nicer box, nice thick board, and the "basic black" cards - the radiation symbol with the US star and Soviet hammer & sickle.
3) I acquired the optional cards for that set (Cambridge Five, etc.), and Promo Pack One (Non-Aligned Movement, etc.) and Promo Pack 2 (Kremlin Flu, etc.). All have the same "basic black" card appearance.
4) I backed the TS Video Game kickstarter, and as part of that I ended up getting the *new* deluxe-edition card set - the "fancy flag" cards (red/blue with the US and Soviet flags on them). That set contains the Optional cards, but not the Promo Packs or Turn Zero.
5) Around the same time, I acquired the Turn Zero pack. The Turn Zero pack has the big crisis cards, the leader cards with the fancy-flag backgrounds, and two other cards with the basic black background (!).

So... what happened here? Is there a version of the promo packs with the fancy-flag background? What about the two basic-black cards in Turn Zero?

Sorry if this has been discussed to death before, but a quick search didn't turn it up.

So there are two sets of cards, the normal/deluxe backed cards and the collector's edition backed cards. Those who ordered an extra deck of cards via the KS ($15 add on) got the CE set for their replacement deck, but if they backed at a level that included the expansion/promos but wasn't the CE, then their expansion is with the deluxe based backs. So assuming that's what you did, I don't see anything out of the ordinary here.

In summary, if that's what you did, you should have; 2 sets of normal decks, 2 sets of optional cards, 1 T0 expansion (deluxe edition), 2 KS promo packs (also deluxe edition). The Turn Zero cards with the new backs aren't shuffled into the deck, they are a separate deck that you use for the expansion. The reason 2 of those cards have the deluxe back is depending on the T0 results, you may swap cards out of your normal deck for those (and thus, they should have the same back).

If you had backed at the CE level, all of your expansions/promos/etc would be with the special backs. This is the keypoint here.

alexdrazen wrote:

I am trying to remember if the CE cards are a different shape and size than the Deluxe, which would make even dark backed sleeves a problem. Off-hand I feel like they were, but I could be wrong.

I'll try again to see if I can get fixed minis, but I'm still not loving GMT the way some folks here do.

1) They are the same standard GMT card size.
2) I recommend you glue the tanks like most of us, the odds that replacements arrive undamaged is really slim. It was a design flaw, and it is what it is. I didn't think it was worth the aggravation and 10 minutes with all purpose glue took care of it.
3) The KS artwork that you're referencing is for the front of the card. Final sentence above is why the backs are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.