Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Decreasing global requirements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Gabriel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
When you have the option to decrease the global requirements do you still increase you terraforming rating. It seems like this can cause players to run away with thier production and control when the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The increase/decrease global requirements effect only allows you to play Projects that you otherwise wouldn't be able to due to global parameter levels. For example, if a Project requires 0C to play and the actual temperature is -2C, you can play the Project anyway. All related bonuses and TR rating gained from the Project is still earned.

There are no Projects in the game that reduce global requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically your engineers has developed techniques to be able to build the projects earlier/later than they could before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:
For example, if a Project requires 0C to play and the actual temperature is -2C, you can play the Project anyway.

Note here that it adjusts the requirement (not the parameter itself) up to 2 steps, for temperature that is 4C, so you could play the 0C requirement card at -4C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
umchoyka wrote:
For example, if a Project requires 0C to play and the actual temperature is -2C, you can play the Project anyway.

Note here that it moves the requirement up to 2 steps on the given track, for temperature that is 4C, so you could play the 0C requirement card at -4C.

Correct. Just don't confuse him with the use of the word "move". The Global Parameter markers never adjust downward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like we're overlooking a larger issues - the cards that let you evaluate global parameters as +/- their current position DO NOT actually move those parameters. It is purely to allow playing the card when you wouldn't normally due to that global parameter. They never allow you to actually change the parameter as part of their effect and therefore grant no TR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
CarcuS wrote:
umchoyka wrote:

Note here that it moves the requirement up to 2 steps on the given track, for temperature that is 4C, so you could play the 0C requirement card at -4C.

Correct. Just don't confuse him with the use of the word "move". The Global Parameter markers never adjust downward.

To me "move the requirement" is different than "moving the global parameter marker", but I guess it could be interpreted different ways. I edited my post to try to make it more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I feel like we're overlooking a larger issues - the cards that let you evaluate global parameters as +/- their current position DO NOT actually move those parameters. It is purely to allow playing the card when you wouldn't normally due to that global parameter. They never allow you to actually change the parameter as part of their effect and therefore grant no TR.

Yes, that is what I was trying to get across. I misused the word requirement instead of parameter in my previous post, but I think it still stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.