Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Goldbräu» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions regarding becoming boss and defending it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just placed for the 1st time and have a couple questions regarding the action to name yourself boss in a business (beer garden or brewery)...

1. Can you attempt to name yourself boss in a business even though you would be automatically blocked even if the current boss does not play a card to increase their share in the business? For example, red already has 3 shares in the business, you have only 1, and no one else has shares present. I "attempt" to become boss and play a card from my hand to increase my stake to 2 shares in the business. Red however still has absolute majority (3 shares, compared to 2 shares owned by everyone else), so the attempt fails...

2. ... or is blocking an attempt to name a new boss not automatic... ie. does the existing boss have to indicate they are (attempting to) block(ing) or not, and if they decline the new boss is named regardless of a majority or not? Since each player only has 6 boss tokens, I could see have another player's boss kick your boss out of a business would free it up for you because you have bigger plans for that boss.

3. Just want to confirm... You only need an absolute majority in a business to "block" someone naming a new boss... you do not need any kind of majority to become the new boss. For example, red has 2 shares in a business and happens to also be the current boss, green and blue also have 2 shares each, and green attempts to name a new boss in the business. No one has absolute majority so no one can block the naming of green as boss. The very next round red or blue can do the same thing (but per the note in the rules, not in the same round).

Thanks,

Jeff
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
1. Can you attempt to name yourself boss in a business even though you would be automatically blocked even if the current boss does not play a card to increase their share in the business? For example, red already has 3 shares in the business, you have only 1, and no one else has shares present. I "attempt" to become boss and play a card from my hand to increase my stake to 2 shares in the business. Red however still has absolute majority (3 shares, compared to 2 shares owned by everyone else), so the attempt fails...

2. ... or is blocking an attempt to name a new boss not automatic... ie. does the existing boss have to indicate they are (attempting to) block(ing) or not, and if they decline the new boss is named regardless of a majority or not? Since each player only has 6 boss tokens, I could see have another player's boss kick your boss out of a business would free it up for you because you have bigger plans for that boss.

Yes and yes: you are always allowed to attempt to appoint a boss somewhere, even if it will most likely be blocked, and blocking is not automatic. So the player with the absolute majority whose boss is being removed has to indicate he is blocking/attempting to block the appointment.

JeffyJeff wrote:
3. Just want to confirm... You only need an absolute majority in a business to "block" someone naming a new boss... you do not need any kind of majority to become the new boss. For example, red has 2 shares in a business and happens to also be the current boss, green and blue also have 2 shares each, and green attempts to name a new boss in the business. No one has absolute majority so no one can block the naming of green as boss. The very next round red or blue can do the same thing (but per the note in the rules, not in the same round).

Correct, so in your example all three can become boss and none of them can block it.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Knight wrote:

You are always allowed to attempt to appoint a boss somewhere, even if it will most likely be blocked, and blocking is not automatic. So the player with the absolute majority whose boss is being removed has to indicate he is blocking/attempting to block the appointment.

I'm having trouble with this concept. For instance, you say that blocking "is not automatic," but all the majority-holding player has to do is simply SAY he's blocking your attempt to appoint a new boss?

Okay, that's not technically "automatic" blocking, but it's pretty darned close! You can attempt to appoint a new boss even though you're outnumbered in cubes 3-1 by the current boss of the beer garden? And the current boss can simply declare that you're blocked...and you are! I guess I don't quite see the strategic point to all this. It's a little hard to imagine ever giving up the boss position in any building where all you have to do to keep it is say "I think I'll block you!"

Related Scenario: Okay, I name a new boss, simultaneously playing a card to increase my holdings in that particular beer garden. But you still have the majority and declare that you're blocking my takeover attempt. Although the game's rules clearly state that "the blocked player may try again," other questions are raised.

Question: Does the blocked player still get to place the cube for the card he just played? Or does blocking his takeover attempt cost him that card? I assume it's the former, but I wanted to make sure before springing this cool-looking game on my friends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
Question: Does the blocked player still get to place the cube for the card he just played? Or does blocking his takeover attempt cost him that card?
I don't remember anything in the rules saying the share would not be placed. In fact the only real reason I saw to attempt to name yourself boss when you would be obviously blocked is to get that share in there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter E
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

I don't remember anything in the rules saying the share would not be placed. In fact the only real reason I saw to attempt to name yourself boss when you would be obviously blocked is to get that share in there.

Except there's no reason to do that, since having another cube in there does you no good until the end of the week (except for the purpose of boss changes), and you have a last chance to convert any shares in hand at the end of the week.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls