Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure I understand the rules for the sniper.

1) According to p91 of the 2nd edition rules, there are only two negative hit modifiers that are ever applied to a sniper that is using a scope: pinning and "missing spotter."

2) All damage from a sniper with a scope is exceptional.

Assuming that those two things are true, then if a unit is hiding behind some cover but the sniper can see the head or torso of any model in the unit, then it can target the unit. Assuming the sniper is using a scope, isn't pinned, and has a spotter, it shoots at the unit as though the model it can see were standing in full view. If it scores a kill, it can remove any model in the unit, even one it has no line of sight to. Say, a guy with a flamethrower.

All correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

If you successfully hit, you still have to roll for damage, but any success here is considered exceptional damage.

For example, if your sniper were shooting at a veteran unit, and the sniper team has no pins and still has its observer, then it would need a 3+ to hit. After hitting, you roll for damage, and against a veteran unit a roll of 5+ is needed. Let us say you roll a "5", but because of the sniper rule, this is exceptional damage (you pick) as if you rolled a "6" to damage.

If the figure you want to pick is not in LOS - blocked by building or "Dense Terrain" (page 52) - then whether it can or cannot be selected is still questionable. The last paragraph under "Target Takes Casualties" on page 58 might not apply to "Exceptional Damage", but others say it does. We are still waiting for an official answer to this question. Regardless, as long as players agree to how they will play before the game starts, go with it.

Also note that if the range is up to 12", a sniper can still shoot. A sniper can decide to not use his scope, and so the shot is treated as a normal rifle shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
Correct.

Actually, I thought of another negative "to hit" modifier.

If the sniper advances before shooting I'm assuming that he still gets the "-1" to hit penalty.

Edit: Fix quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:
[q="RayGuns"]Correct.[/quote]

If the sniper advances before shooting I'm assuming that he still gets the "-1" to hit penalty.

There's also a -1 modifier if Tim is rolling. If Mike is rolling, there's a +1 modifier (which does no good anyhow because of how he rolls).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:
RayGuns wrote:
Correct.

Edit: Fix quotes.

I do not have the rule book at hand, but I don't think Sniper Teams can perform advance orders and use their scope. Yes, I'm pretty sure that a Sniper Team has to use either a Fire or Ambush to use his scope, so the -1 for firing on the move is impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.