Evolution: Climate» Forums » General

Subject: This or Evolution 2nd edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I S
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I buy both to get the most of the experience, or just one or the other?

Can you use cards from both games together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The climate stand-alone contains the base game anyway. However, try a dozen games at least with the base game before you use Climate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
beri2 wrote:
The climate stand-alone contains the base game anyway. However, try a dozen games at least with the base game before you use Climate.

A dozen? I'll be lucky if I get that many in total after several years. Why not Climate immediately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
You just need 'Climate' - you can play the original Evolution game with what is in the box anyway. Unless you will be playing the game as a very entry level gateway game then there is no real reason to play without the Climate part of the game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the level of depth and the flavor of game you want to play. Climate adds a bonus distinct level of complexity to an already excellent game, but that level of complexity might be off-putting to some players. Not me, mind you! I love what it adds, but I know I'm not a good representation of a larger population (see what I did there?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends if you want to play the climate part or the flight part of the game because they are not entirely compatible with each other.

If you don't want flying dino's i would say buy climate the base game is in the box.

If you rather want to have flying dino's you need basegame + flight expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how the card you put onto the watering hole board is not just about food production but about affecting the climate as well. Also, some of the traits now provide some protection/penalty for cold/heat, so you're not just managing your species based on what the other players' species are doing, but what's happening with the climate.

I like the added layer of strategy offered by Climate. And as others have said, you can ignore it and just play the base game if you want. I think Climate is a safe option for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
beri2 wrote:

A dozen? I'll be lucky if I get that many in total after several years. Why not Climate immediately?

CLIMATE is designed for people who like heavy board games. If you like games that are similar in weight to Terra Mystica, Scythe, or Agricola, then you should get CLIMATE. If you prefer games similar in weight to Pandemic, 7 Wonders, Small World or Citadels, then you should get Evolution: The Beginning. If you like something in the middle of those two weights, then you should get Evolution.

CLIMATE was designed to be explored hundreds of times without getting old. If you don't ever expect to play the game more than 10 times in your life, then you won't be getting very much of what the game has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
You could say that about most other games but the fact is that most of us here on BGG have way too many games to do that with unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
bitterpolitics.weebly.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
You could say that about most other games but the fact is that most of us here on BGG have way too many games to do that with unfortunately.

Worth making an exception in this case, IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I could say that a hundred other games too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

Here is a list of people on BGG who record their plays of Agricola. This is a small sample of the people who frequent this website since most BGG users don't record their plays. Everyone on the first page has played Agricola over 100 times. So while rare, it does happen on occasion:

https://boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/31260

I went to page 20 just to for kicks. There are over 1,000 people (who record games on the BGG) who have played Agricola more than 20 times. So I don't think it's weird to design a game for the hardcore gaming community that is expected to be played 10 or more times. You don't have to play CLIMATE 10 times to start enjoying it, but it was designed with that group of people in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play most of my games between 15 and 25 times. The one that I love the most are played more than that, especially if there are some kind of expansion to freshen the gameplay after a while, but Climate should be great on this purpose with the addition of the climate track, the events, the scenario cards, the promo traits and the plants mini expansion.

The solution for this is super easy and economical: Just buy less games! Just choose the best of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
beri2 wrote:

Because it's absolutely murderous. I played it with three newbies on Sunday, and we had to restart after the first turn because everyone except me went extinct. The second time we did a lot better - only two people went extinct. It isn't just the potential to knock 4 food out of the pool on turn 1; with an extra card available making an early Carnivore becomes much stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Because it's absolutely murderous. I played it with three newbies on Sunday, and we had to restart after the first turn because everyone except me went extinct. The second time we did a lot better - only two people went extinct. It isn't just the potential to knock 4 food out of the pool on turn 1; with an extra card available making an early Carnivore becomes much stronger.

laugh

Very true, CLIMATE can be absolutely murderous at times, especially to new players. But it can also be plush with food if the weather goes tropical. You'll be hanging out at the beach drinking pina colatas when that happens.

All in all, I'd say CLIMATE is a slightly less Carnivorous game environment than anything else in the product line, but it makes up for it by packing danger in every other corner.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Very true, CLIMATE can be absolutely murderous at times, especially to new players. But it can also be plush with food if the weather goes tropical. You'll be hanging out at the beach drinking pina colatas when that happens.

Sure. But all it takes is a couple of people not paying full attention to send the climate track the other way - or someone does it deliberately because they're making a Carnivore anyway - and suddenly nobody eats. If that happens to a group of newbies they're not going to be having a good time. That's why you have to play the base game first. There's always a decent amount of food and you get a chance to play around without being wiped out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
domcrap wrote:
Jedit wrote:

laugh

All in all, I'd say CLIMATE is a slightly less Carnivorous game environment than anything else in the product line, but it makes up for it by packing danger in every other corner.

ninja

Sounds great!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

One of the reasons I try to keep my game collection small-ish is to make sure that the games I do have get played regularly. There's just no point (for me) in tying up money and space for a game that gets played maybe once a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.