Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Gunness
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I'm absolutely new to miniatures game like this, so please bear with me.

I'm a sucker for anything related to mythology, and since I don't have any games of this type in my collection, I thought it might make for a nice addition.
I've read through the reviews and I think I have a fairly good grasp of the game mechanics, which (at least on paper) sound fairly manageable.

My question relates to the drafting: the reviewers have praised the game's accessibility, but won't newcomers (including myself) be overwhelmed by the drafting process? With each stretch goal, one part of me is thinking "Hey great, more variety", while another is thinking "Yikes, that's one more unit to consider when drafting". Free choice is great in many ways, but I could see the game setup stalling over endless drafting considerations, while inexperienced players are trying to figure out which one of the remaining 10-15-20 units work the best with their army, trying to cover range, speed and attack. Sounds fairly complicated to me.

Or am I worried over nothing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Ostili
msg tools
Well the producer said that it would be easier for a new player to start from a smaller pool (maybe just the core set) and then add the espansion when you feel "Expert". What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, resist the temptation to chuck everything into the draft on day one and just use the core set. Once you're comfortable with that, then start adding more units. The core set on its own is going to give you a rich gameplay experience that you can replay many times before you even need to start adding anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As we have done with other games where there is to much option, ie Rivet Wars, we will randomly select units to go in the draft pool each time we play. This will then mean that every game will be different and we won't just play with our favourites every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunness wrote:
Or am I worried over nothing?

Yes!

As has been said, just start small (core set only). Add in more stuff, when you feel the need for variety, not just because you can.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also... having looked into the last live feed, yesterday, it looks like they will have "introductory scenarios", which will help learn the game with even smaller and fixed setups (i.e. no drafting there).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gunness
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what I needed to know - thanks everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
As we have done with other games where there is to much option, ie Rivet Wars, we will randomly select units to go in the draft pool each time we play. This will then mean that every game will be different and we won't just play with our favourites every game.

Yep, that also helps keeping the time for the draft down. Too many options can lead to too much thinking.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played ten-ish games through showcases, let me give you how i felt in the first game and the latter ones:

My very first draft was completely disconnected from any tactical views.
There are a LOT of powers / talents to read from, and since i was discovering the game / rules, well, i picked what gods / heroes / monsters i found cool.
Since it was a 2v2 with four newbies, it ended up being pretty balanced.

However, your first game will most probably be one sided if you play with someone actually knowing the game (i don't mean someone who read the rules, but someone with at least one actual game behind them) - which is pretty common with games that have a leaerning curve.
Discover Puerto Rico, X-wings, or formula D (just to name different game styles) with someone who played them before... you'll get crushed (unless they downplay).

However, after a few turns, you'll realize "this talent is pretty cool" "that power is bonkers" and so on. By the end of your first game, you'll be ready for your second one, with much, much more knowledge of what units can do.

The game rules are pretty easy to get. However, actually making the best of your units requires some practice.
And since the games aren't long (i'd say 1:30 for a first game, 1 hour for a "regular" one), it's pretty easy to get back to it.

Also, as it was mentionned before, there'll be specific scenarios aimed at helpintg you getting into the game at an easier, assisted pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Dave's idea the best. Only thing I would consider having all-in are the gods/titans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gunness
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Barlimann - thanks for weighing in. I absolute expect a learning curve and would be disappointed if the game didn't reward repeated play. So between the scenarios and the suggested pre-selection, I think we're going to be just fine

When I said I was new to this type of miniatures games, it's almost true. I already own Blood Rage, WotR and others but of course they're a different type of minis game. But I just bought Conan (King's Pledge), so I guess I'll have a full year to learn my way around the genre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.