4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Internal republican party politics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He won and he won big and the republicans also kept hold of the levers of power. So he can choose to keep any of his campaign promises if he wants. So for reference I'm calling them external Republican politics.

Leading up to this point there has been a lot of talk about the GOP imploding into intercine civil war etc. I doubt that will happen now but as there seemed to be a strong element of any one but Trump in the Gop - claiming he wasn't a republican etc. What happens next?

Obviously if he is successful then they keep quiet and ride his coat tails of success but if they are so fundamentally opposed in ethos what happens then if he is less than successful?

Not being American does he get 4 years before there is a chance they could lose the house or the senate or is that on a different cycle? Would losing the one that was claimed to be the most vunerable this time cause gridlock again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
He won and he won big and the republicans also kept hold of the levers of power. So he can choose to keep any of his campaign promises if he wants. So for reference I'm calling them external Republican politics.

Leading up to this point there has been a lot of talk about the GOP imploding into intercine civil war etc. I doubt that will happen now but as there seemed to be a strong element of any one but Trump in the Gop - claiming he wasn't a republican etc. What happens next?

Obviously if he is successful then they keep quiet and ride his coat tails of success but if they are so fundamentally opposed in ethos what happens then if he is less than successful?

Not being American does he get 4 years before their is a chance they could lose the house or the senate or is that on a different cycle? Would losing the one that was claimed to be the most vunerable this time cause gridlock again?

First vote is in 2 years. The house will be up and about 1/3 of the senate. In several states, trump got over 60% of the vote. I don't know if any of those are up for reelection but they are not likely to change. I think we are in for 4 years of trump plus 20-30 years of a hard right theocratic supreme court. Roe V. Wade should fall by the end of his term. In the short term, we'll get someone to the right of Scalia to replace Scalia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From reddit

How many republican seats up?
Quote:

"It's eight, and the only ones in anything even resembling a swing state are Nevada and maybe (and by that I mean a really big maybe) Arizona."

So no. Republicans will hold the senate and might increase seats. We hve 4 years of republican senate control. So likely a 6-3 court that will make scalia look like a liberal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also from Reddit... our likely next 4 years...

Looking over it, I don't think I see anything I consider unlikely. And most of it seems to be items our local conservatives would celebrate.

Quote:
Repeal of Obamacare; healthcare returns to where it was during the Bush years, millions of people lose health coverage every year.

Somebody very young and to the right of Scalia will be put on SCOTUS. Then somebody else in the court will die or retire, and Trump will fill yet another vacancy.

All those federal court benches that the Republicans managed to keep empty during Obama's presidency? They will be filled stat.

Bye-bye filibuster. The Republicans demonstrated that they could win based by obstructing everything, so what's to prevent the Democrats from respecting the old rules now? But the Republicans won't hesitate to change the rules anyway—it was clear years ago that no fucks are given.

A purge of high-ranking employees of the executive branch, to be replaced with Trump's yes-men.

High-level coordination between the executive branch and "alt-right" (a.k.a. white nationalist) groups, and other hard right groups. People like James O'Keefe and Alex Jones will now be very much in favor with the federal government.

The FBI and DoJ will be used to persecute real and imagined political opponents, including but not limited to:
The Clintons and Obama, but also a number of Republicans, most likely Kasich and Cruz. Or whichever Republicans Trump thinks have the best shot at opposing him.

I'm worried for Pence, to tell you the truth—for all that people now talk about how Pence is going to be the "real" president of the country, do you think Trump's ego is going to stand for that? We already saw in September and October a pattern where Pence would speak his own mind and contradict Trump, only to apparently be dressed down privately and fall in line with Trump in later public appearances.

Newspapers that oppose Trump will also be targeted, most notably the Washington Post and New York Times.

Planned Parenthood and other groups that Republicans dislike will be slaughtered. You know those privately-run right wing covert video operations to discredit ACORN and Planned Parenthood? Now they will be backed by the FBI and DoJ.

Laws or executive orders that strip millions of Americans of recent immigrant descent of their citizenship by retroactively denying that they ever had birthright citizenship, like the Dominican Republic has done recently. Or by demanding proof of citizenship for a larger set of government services and yet making such proof more difficult to obtain for undesirable citizens—like Texas tried to deny parents access to their children's birth certificates.

Remember Arizona SB-1070? (The "papers please" law.) Well, it's going to be federal law now. The police across the states will have a carte blanche or worse (e.g., federally mandated obligation) to profile and investigate Latinos. And Muslims. And "thugs" like Black Lives Matter.

Massive growth and reorganization of the Border Patrol into a force to round up "illegals." Most of the manpower however will likely come from local police and volunteer citizen reports—this ties back to the "federal SB-1070"

Federal law enforcement will expand its domestic surveillance and intelligence operations to target Latinos (in the guise of "illegals"), African Americans (in the guise of "Black Lives Matter") and Muslims (in the guise of ISIS and terrorism).

The "Muslim ban" is going to be put into place. People like to mock how "obviously ineffective" it is, but that's OK, they will use that to justify harsher measures. The hard-right idea that Islam is not actually a religion, and therefore not subject to 1st Amendment protection, may well become executive policy.

The Republicans will use the power of the federal government to systematically disenfranchise minority voters so they can hold on to power in spite of how the demographics are changing.

A federal campaign to promote "law and order," meaning policies that support police abuse of their power against minorities. Stop and Frisk is one example.

A foreign policy based on antagonizing Mexico as a scapegoat for white nationalist's domestic anxieties rather than global leadership.
Ukraine is fucked. NATO may only survive in name.

Huge tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans but more taxes for the less well-off.

Massive expansion of federal spending. The Republicans, for all they say that they are for "small government," have repeatedly proven otherwise (and don't forget their ideas about "starving the beast"). Trump will use his well-known bullshit about how he's "good with debt" to justify more spending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.