Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] [View All]
Johnny Dale
United States
Greenville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple members of my game group are taking a road trip up through Jackson, Mississippi and then over to Monroe, Louisiana. Are there any game stores we can hit along the way?

(Sorry if this isn't the right place for this...) (Also, any gamers in the New Orleans area are welcome to come by our weekly Game Night.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only place of any consequence in Jackson is Dragons Lair in Pearl (just east of Jackson on the interstate -- Pearl not the store). They have recently moved, although the new location shouldn't be terribly difficult to find. I've not dropped by since the move, so I can't comment on the new store. Their boardgames tend to run about 15% off MSRP if I remember correctly. They have a website, dragonslairccg.com, if you want to check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't anything worth going to in LA that I have ever found on my many trips through there.

Not even a thrift store easily accessable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey LeClair
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Dragonslair has moved and is it in new location off of Highway 80 goingthru Pearl MS. right outside of Jackson. It is behind Krogers groceys store but can not be seen from the highway, just turn into Krogers parking lot off of 80 and drive straight back towards the Freds Dollar store at the rear of the parking lot then look to the left soon as you pass Krogers and you will see it. Thay are having boardgame demo day this coming Saturday 5-26-07 and the next Saturday 6-2-07. I plan to demo the Wings of War minis this Saturday and think Tide of Iron, Twighlight Imperium, Memoir 44 and Formula De along with some others are going to be demo during this time so drop by we would like to meet you and game with you.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Knight
United States
Navarre
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm from Jackson. As Stephen and Geoff said, the Dragon's Lair is one of the two main shops in town now. They're a great group of people (Brian Brock is the owner - tell him I said Hi), and they just tripled their floorspace to +/- 3000 sq ft with at least half that dedicated to gaming space.

I was in there this past weekend, and I'd say their selection of games is probably the best in town right now - although I did just buy their last copy of Battlelore AND Carcassonne. Yay me!

This Saturday (5/26/07) they're having Board Game Day where they'll be hosting/demo'ing lotsa different games. I'm slotted to run Carcassonne, and if I can get the players, we'll run a World of Warcraft Boardgame (with the new expansion). Also on Friday nights, they have a regular WoW TCG tournament.

I was also in Hobbytown this past weekend, and their game selection is relatively small. Maybe a dozen games - the usual FFG products and a few Days of Wonder games. Their prices are slightly higher than Dragon's Lair, but they're in a primo retail spot too. They're mostly a model train/plane shop.

The other main game shop in town is Van's Comics on Highway 51 in Ridgeland. I was in there a couple months ago and he had about 1/4 as many boardgames as Dragon's Lair (or less). He's mainly a comic book and CCG shop (Magic the Gathering mostly). If you're a CCG'er, definitely give him a visit.

If there are any other gamers in the Jackson area, send me a message, we should get together and do some gaming. We're always looking for new friends and fellow gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dale
United States
Greenville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys SO MUCH for your input...you genuinely made the trip worth going for us, and turned a day-long obligation into a great daytrip!

The Dragon's Lair was great, and as we rolled into the store, our bellies full of Cracker Barrel's dumplings, we simply couldn't believe how well-stocked their selection was. You guys should feel lucky that you live near such a great store. Pearl, Mississippi has a better-stocked (and more passionate) game store than the Not-So-Friendly LGS in the troubled metropolis three hours to your south.

We got:
Kill Dr. Lucky (the Titanic version)
Murder At The Abbey
Power Grid
Shadows Over Camelot (and the minifigs)
Gang Of Four
Citadels, again
and a few other things that I can't remember right now. Because we wanted to pretend like we were adults with some sort of self-control, we passed on Cleopatra And The Society Of Architects, among many many many other things.

After that, we drove over to Monroe, Louisiana, where we spent all of about fifteen minutes doing the errand that brought us north to begin with. The city was beautiful, by the way. (A member of our trip weirdly commented that it "looks like Matlock's hometown." Uh, okay.)

Then, on a whim, we decided to take a bunch of country highways back home, a trip that took us into Baton Rouge for a stop at Little Wars. The store was PACKED with gamers, which was awesome to see. We got:
Keythedral
Settlers Of Catan Travel Edition
the Puerto Rico expansion

and we passed on Goa, Amun-Re, and Saint Petersberg. (Though since Little Wars is just an hour north of us we'll end up getting those sooner rather than later.)

Most exciting, though, is that at Little Wars our gaming group finally acquired a dice boot! I'm not exagerating when I say it was the highlight of the day.

Taking Little Wars' advice, we ended the day by studying our new games' rules as we ate a Thai meal at Rama's before driving the last hour home.

Thanks again for all your help. I really can't express how much your comments turned the day from "I gotta go to freakin' Monroe, anybody wanna ride with me?" to "Oh my god that was such an awesome day!"

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the owner of the Dragon's Lair had to close the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matrovsky Karobekian
United States
Cantonment
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willk_1230 wrote:

The other main game shop in town is Van's Comics on Highway 51 in Ridgeland. I was in there a couple months ago and he had about 1/4 as many boardgames as Dragon's Lair (or less). He's mainly a comic book and CCG shop (Magic the Gathering mostly). If you're a CCG'er, definitely give him a visit.

Just wanted to give an update on Van's - he has greatly widened his selection since that post and he has become a very reliable source for me (15% off MSRP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.