BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals » Hot Deals - Europe

Subject: Amazon.com delivers to the UK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just been having a look on the Amazon.com web site and saw an advert for Amazon Global

Had a look on Amazon.com and found

The Castles Of Burgundy Card Game for $11.65 plus
$5.01 - AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping
averages 9-14 business days

This works out at £13.86 which is cheaper than buying it in the UK on it's own.

I am sure this will work for other European countries as well.

Probably best with smaller and hard to find items.

Just another option - could be interesting on Black Friday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Pugwash wrote:
Just been having a look on the Amazon.com web site and saw an advert for Amazon Global

Depending on cost though you also have to factor in the possibility of import tax costs which I think has a base of £8 which is the RM's ridiculous administration fee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lahn Nykjaer
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I looked at a bunch of the 60% off board games offer on Amazon.com a week ago, and most of the games actually looked cheaper from .com than .co.uk, even the bigger boxes - but not significantly cheaper - so I didn't order.

Smaller items with cheaper shipping will make sense, but definitely worth keeping in mind for BF!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought several smaller games from Amazon.com and it works fine. Their pre-pay tax/duty removes any worry and means you know wat to expect upfront - but that doesn't affect smaller items anyway as they are under the threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
About Import Fees Deposit

AmazonGlobal offers customers customs duties, taxes and fees ("Import Fees") estimation during checkout and customs clearance on your behalf for certain eligible countries.

Calculating Fees
When AmazonGlobal products are shipped to eligible countries, an estimate of the Import Fees will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. With your authorization, these funds are used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country ("Import Fees Deposit"). The payment of import fees is the responsibility of the importer and is levied based on the laws of the country into which the products are being shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TMVM wrote:
Depending on cost though you also have to factor in the possibility of import tax costs which I think has a base of £8 which is the RM's ridiculous administration fee.

Amazon include this where relevant as an 'import deposit' so you know what to expect upfront. Their terms and conditions say that either:
- It will cover the cost and you will owe nothing
- It will cover more than the cost and they refund the difference
- It will not cover the full cost, and you will not be charged any extra.

Their system of prepaying means it shouldn't ever get held hostage by any courier, but if it does anecdotal evidence suggests they will refund any fees.

I have had two items in the import tax bracket arrive via both Yodel and UPS and neither got caught or billed anything extra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lahn Nykjaer
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TMVM wrote:

I think Amazon.com adds that to the price? look at the screenshot - and here's the "learn more" link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Slagman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need an account to make an estimate of the shipping and taxes? When I click the "estimate"-button I'm only able to fill in a ZIP-code, but not a different country?

Although it might be the start of Trump's wall... [Edit] Hmm the "" looks more smiling than expected; for the record: I do not support the wall or Trump for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lahn Nykjaer
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SjoerdS wrote:
Do you need an account to make an estimate of the shipping and taxes? When I click the "estimate"-button I'm only able to fill in a ZIP-code, but not a different country?

Although it might be the start of Trump's wall...

I don't know where you find an "estimate" button, but no you don't need an account - to the right, under "add to cart", there's a "ship to" header where you can click "select a shipping address", and I could select country there - and it reloaded the page with the shipping+import fees added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TMVM wrote:
Captain Pugwash wrote:

The item converts to less that £15 for it, so that's under the threshold for added tax. It's only a problem when the delivered games are worth more that £15 (in total, not per game, so no bulk buying). Once the item/s are over £15, then tax is added to both the items AND delivery. However, remember that delivery is not used to measure the £15 threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its also how I managed to get the Harry Potter battle of Hogwarts Card game in the UK as well :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lets hope they don't decide to use their "minimal packaging" option...

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:

Lets hope they don't decide to use their "minimal packaging" option...

Susie_Cat.

What the...? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, apparently it is a real "thing". There is lots about it here on the Geek if you know where to find it, but here is one summary.

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hollingsworth
United Kingdom
manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same packaging, or lack of a couple of months ago when I bought the lotr card game from Amazon uk. Was not happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ward
England
Salford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torkijo wrote:
Its also how I managed to get the Harry Potter battle of Hogwarts Card game in the UK as well :-)

Been after this, is it worth it? Coming to £60~ with delivery and fees etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
It has been a thing on .com for a while now but it has also come to .uk You just have to remember to tick the gift option. It'd be nice if you could set a default in your account settings tho'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmb
Torkijo wrote:

We've just ordered it for our son.

Our son loves Harry Potter, he likes deckbuilding. Shame it is not available currently directly in the UK, as far as I am aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Trump and the potential demise of the doller have any affect on buying from .com? (especially as thanks to brexit, Europe has become far more expensive soblue )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
blackmeeple wrote:
Torkijo wrote:

Our son loves Harry Potter, he likes deckbuilding. Shame it is not available currently directly in the UK, as far as I am aware.

mine arrived today and i didnt get any extra charges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
blackmeeple wrote:
Torkijo wrote:

mine arrived today and i didnt get any extra charges

Depending on who the carrier is, it could be weeks before you get invoiced for the additional charges. So don't get too excited yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TMVM wrote:

The threshhold is £15 at the time of purchase. Presumably based on the interbank rate. Excluding delivery.

After the threshold, tax and handling fees are slapped on top of both item and delivery. Ie:

£14.99 + $5.60 delivery = £21.59 total paid

£15 + £5.60 delivery = 20% VAT, 6% duty, £8 handling = £33.96

Some things have different duty ta, and some nothing. Don;t know what it is for boardgames. Same as toys? But it's probably 6%.

The latter will often get through untouched and untaxed, but since the economic downturn that's become less likely.

Any kind of express delivery service, and handling is £13.50. Ie, the supremely cheap Japanese $7 express service gets you that £13.50 handling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Panayi
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
How much would you realistically save on this given the custom charges etc?

Is it really worth flying a game over the ocean for a couple of pounds?

We have to be considerate of game miles too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I remember ordering from Funagain years ago. When it was delivered there was a huge surcharge I had to give the delivery driver. I was effectively blackmailed into paying him since if I didn't they would keep the parcel and charge me anyway.
I thought at the time how odd it was. He accepted cards, cheque or cash. Probably favours from my wife. I am not accusing him of criminal activity but it certainly felt like it at the time.
The memory stays with me - I have never been surcharged on delivery since. Not once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
I remember ordering from Funagain years ago. When it was delivered there was a huge surcharge I had to give the delivery driver. I was effectively blackmailed into paying him since if I didn't they would keep the parcel and charge me anyway.
I thought at the time how odd it was. He accepted cards, cheque or cash. Probably favours from my wife. I am not accusing him of criminal activity but it certainly felt like it at the time.
The memory stays with me - I have never been surcharged on delivery since. Not once.

They changed the rules quite a few years ago. Basically deliver companies were holding international deliveries hostage until the customs charges were paid. They aren't allowed to any more and now have to invoice post delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.