Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a Dice Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Scotti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all!

I am in the market for a dice game.

I don't want something with random boosters. I am more than OK with having to buy expansions (actually, having expansion is a plus in my book) but I want them to be fixed, not random (like a Living Card Game).

Bonus points for games that can be played solo.

I am currently looking at Quarriors!. Is there something better, out there?

Thanks a lot in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrada

Favor of the Pharaoh

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors is pretty fun. I guess it depends on what kind of dice game you want.

I like Quarriors as a dice-builder
I like Roll for the Galaxy as a strategy game
I like Alien Frontiers as a dice placement game

There's all kinds of ways to use dice. Roll for the Galaxy is my favorite game that uses dice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure

Dungeon Roll

Elder Sign
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ciúb is a dice game I really like and no one seems to talk about. No expansions though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men is generally considered to be an improvement on Quarriors!, fwiw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Roll for the Galaxy

also:

King of Tokyo
BANG! The Dice Game
Formula D
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrebianca wrote:
Hello all!

I am in the market for a dice game.

I don't want something with random boosters. I am more than OK with having to buy expansions (actually, having expansion is a plus in my book) but I want them to be fixed, not random (like a Living Card Game).

Bonus points for games that can be played solo.

I am currently looking at Quarriors!. Is there something better, out there?

Thanks a lot in advance!


You may want to consider the upcoming (or just released) Star Wars: Destiny. It has some similarity to Dicemasters or Quarriors in that you are rolling variable dice for various abilities, but plays a bit more like Magic: The Gathering with dice triggering powers. It's not a deck or bag builder, you use a pre-constructed deck. And it's an LCG model - you buy the base game and then get character specific expansions that provide cards you can use to build up your decks. They aren't fixed decks, so you can gain a card/die from one characters expansion and use it with another's (it just has some color requirements in that some are "hero" and some are "villain").

I demoed it twice and it seems interesting.

While I enjoy Favor of the Pharoah and the thus far unmentioned Colony, I think from hoe you describe what you are looking for not the same way that you are looking for dice to be used.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men is generally considered to be an improvement on Quarriors!, fwiw.


It is by some, but he specifically stated he didn't want a game dependent upon boosters.

Quarriors has the same general mechanics but supports more than 2 players and has a fixed set of expansions. For his specific criteria, Dicemasters is probably not a good fit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Scotti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men is generally considered to be an improvement on Quarriors!, fwiw.


But it has randomized boosters, am I right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Roll For The Galaxy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Scotti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
hestiansun wrote:


You may want to consider the upcoming (or just released) Star Wars: Destiny.


But from the page it looks like it has randomized boosters. Are you sure it follows an LCG model?

hestiansun wrote:

I think from hoe you describe what you are looking for not the same way that you are looking for dice to be used.


Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
D-Day Dice or 500.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Scotti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to answer.

I will look into the games you suggested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
If you like poker and Yahtzee style mechanic dice rolling check out Dice Town my group finds it fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with many of the above stated games (especially Roll for the Galaxy, just can't beat it) but a few that have not been mentioned would be Ancient Terrible Things and Fanthazee.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrebianca wrote:
hestiansun wrote:


You may want to consider the upcoming (or just released) Star Wars: Destiny.


But from the page it looks like it has randomized boosters. Are you sure it follows an LCG model?

hestiansun wrote:

I think from hoe you describe what you are looking for not the same way that you are looking for dice to be used.


Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here.


My bad. Sorry, I thought it was an LCG model. But you're right, it was a CCG.

And autocorrect mangled that last sentence. What I was saying was that the last two I mentioned use dice but a very different mechanic than something like Quarriors. Favor of the Pharoah is a more complex Yahtzee like game. Colony is like a Roll for the Galaxy in that it is an engine building game.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
hestiansun wrote:
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men is generally considered to be an improvement on Quarriors!, fwiw.


It is by some, but he specifically stated he didn't want a game dependent upon boosters.

Quarriors has the same general mechanics but supports more than 2 players and has a fixed set of expansions. For his specific criteria, Dicemasters is probably not a good fit.


Oops, my bad.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple and Elder Sign can both be played solo and have several expansions.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Hocks
Netherlands
Simpelveld
Limburg
flag msg tools
One of the games im currently very excited about is Too Many Bones.
This game has lots of dice in it, can be played very well solo.
It might be a bit expensive and will probably get released januari next year. Check out the updates and videos on their kickstarter page if you are interrested! whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Novais wrote:
One of the games im currently very excited about is Too Many Bones.
This game has lots of dice in it, can be played very well solo.
It might be a bit expensive and will probably get released januari next year. Check out the updates and videos on their kickstarter page if you are interrested! whistle


Yeah, their games look awesome, but I can't bring myself to spend well over $100 for a game because they feel it is really important to them to have high quality poker chips.

I personally would much rather they use cardboard discs like pretty much every other game manufacturer and deliver an affordable game in the $60 or so price range, but hey, to each their own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Quarriors! and Roll for the galaxy, however if you end up getting Quarriors! make sure you use the advance rules included in Quarriors! Quarmageddon, they really improve the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men looks obvious for your description.

Dice games I enjoy that use dice in interesting ways:

Alien Frontiers
Lords of Vegas
Las Vegas
The Castles of Burgundy
Roll for the Galaxy +1
Machi Koro
BANG! The Dice Game
Dice City
Dice Town
Seasons
Zombie Dice
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalakazo wrote:
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men looks obvious for your description.


... except is is very much a collectible game, and he said he wanted to avoid that.

Which is why Quarriors instead is more obvious, since it's the same basic mechanics, without the fancy IPs but also without any collectible nature at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Kalakazo wrote:
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men looks obvious for your description.


... except is is very much a collectible game, and he said he wanted to avoid that.

Which is why Quarriors instead is more obvious, since it's the same basic mechanics, without the fancy IPs but also without any collectible nature at all.


I totally read it the other way around, well the rest of the games I mentioned fit on the dice game category I guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan
Blueprints
Blueprints
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.