Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Bedford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, there is a specific order of play in a player's turn: first check your Injury Cards, second perform your actions, and third Consult the Oracle. My question concerns the use of the Special Action of the God Aphrodite. The rules concerning Special Actions states "During your turn, if 1 or more of your Gods are on the topmost row of the God Track, you may use your Special Actions". I feel that this is poorly worded, and instead of "turn", it should state "the second phase of your turn".

Consider the following scenario, which can easily happen during the game. Your Aphrodite God token is at the top of the God Track, you have six Injury Cards, and it is your turn. According to the rules as written, you could use Aphrodite to remove the six Injury cards and then proceed with your turn, including gaining the benefit of having no Injury Cards in Phase 1. A player in my first game did this, claiming that using Aphrodite like this is legitimate because the rules say that it can be used as any time in your turn. However, upon reflection, and reading the rules more thoroughly, I feel that this goes against the spirit of the sequence of play. Using Special Actions of Gods takes place in Phase 2, so one cannot use a Special Action at the start of one's turn. The above play should not be allowed, as it violates the sequence of play. Can we please have a ruling on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SveaRike wrote:
As I understand it, there is a specific order of play in a player's turn: first check your Injury Cards, second perform your actions, and third Consult the Oracle. My question concerns the use of the Special Action of the God Aphrodite. The rules concerning Special Actions states "During your turn, if 1 or more of your Gods are on the topmost row of the God Track, you may use your Special Actions". I feel that this is poorly worded, and instead of "turn", it should state "the second phase of your turn".

Consider the following scenario, which can easily happen during the game. Your Aphrodite God token is at the top of the God Track, you have six Injury Cards, and it is your turn. According to the rules as written, you could use Aphrodite to remove the six Injury cards and then proceed with your turn, including gaining the benefit of having no Injury Cards in Phase 1. A player in my first game did this, claiming that using Aphrodite like this is legitimate because the rules say that it can be used as any time in your turn. However, upon reflection, and reading the rules more thoroughly, I feel that this goes against the spirit of the sequence of play. Using Special Actions of Gods takes place in Phase 2, so one cannot use a Special Action at the start of one's turn. The above play should not be allowed, as it violates the sequence of play. Can we please have a ruling on this?
Yes, you're right, you can only use the Gods in the phase 2, where you play the actions.
And yes, "2nd phase of your turn" would have been better, although we explicitly described it on the page where the 3 phases are described (as you already mentioned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.