BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Hylinton - A solitaire city-building dice game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone.

I'm making a small dice / worker-placement game called Hylinton - the name of the town in the game that you have been tasked with expanding into a city.

The basic premise is you roll a few dice, choose one of the results to add to the board and score points based on its position and type.

Features -
* Hexagonal grid (everyone loves those!)
* Handful of dice
* Quick playing time - about 15mins per game
* All you need is the rule-sheet, 3 dice and a pen

I'm aiming for it to include a light strategy element - which means that players will have to think before choosing what and where to build.

I've played it through in several variants and I think I have got the rules pretty tight. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to have a look at the rules and maybe play it through and let me know what they think?

Questions I'm currently pondering-
1. Are the building types varied enough in terms of scoring?
2. Does the game pose enough of a challenge in terms of strategy?
3. Is the map too small? Would a larger map be too easy or too long?

[edit]
The pdf of the beta rules (version 0.2) is here -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry3tgwx8icmne1j/Hylinton%20-%20Rul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Tpatts wrote:

Got it- I'll see if I can get you some feedback.

I do remember some games in some recent contests similar to this one- when you get a chance you might want to go through the WIP threads and see what's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Tpatts wrote:

Questions I'm currently pondering-
1. Are the building types varied enough in terms of scoring?
2. Does the game pose enough of a challenge in terms of strategy?
3. Is the map too small? Would a larger map be too easy or too long?

So, got a game in over lunch:
(Sorry about the image...)

I scored 74. (And when I look again, it should be 76- forgot the +2 for building another house.)

While the grid you have is interesting, how does a "column" work? If I can only have 1 market per column, what does that look like? You can see the "m" in my grid- are those valid?

And now that I go through the rules again, it appears I failed to re-score buildings next to markets when I placed markets.... Looks like I may have scored another 10 points from those. Oh, and now the "district" bonuses: that would add another 9. So now it looks like my final score is 95.

Because of double 4's, I removed/added/removed/added markets to the space to the left of the starting square.

So:
1-I was never able to use a fort. And given the scoring and restrictions, I'm not sure how to actually place and score one. And some more clarity on the column restriction for markets.
2-It was enough of a challenge, given that it was the first play. Since it is dependent on luck, the challenge will vary according to the rolls I get.
3-The size seemed to be about right. It was getting repetitive towards the end- and my last space is empty since I rolled buildings I could not put there.

I don't really have any other comments. I can see this as a filler game, but not one I'd pull out a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, thanks for taking the time to look at and play my game, and for leaving some really helpful comments!

Quote:
While the grid you have is interesting, how does a "column" work? If I can only have 1 market per column, what does that look like?

Oops, "columns' are left over from my previous verson which was on a 5x5 square grid. In the version you played a column is anyw line going out along the six points of the hexagon, as below:

This limits the number of markets you can have and means they are best used later on in the game (if you have the chance).

I can't think of a better name for "column"...maybe "line"?

Quote:
You can see the "m" in my grid- are those valid?

No, only one is valid as they are all on the same line. If you kep the central one, then the topmost one could go either side of where it currently is.

Quote:
1-I was never able to use a fort. And given the scoring and restrictions, I'm not sure how to actually place and score one. And some more clarity on the column restriction for markets.

A Fort can be placed only once you have a minimum of 6 houses on the map. When you do place one it MUST be adjacent to a church. You would score 6 points for every building adjacent to the Fort (but 0 points for the Square - which are never scored.)

If, for sake of argument, you were able to place a Fort in the empty space on your game, then it would score 18 points - 6 for each full space next to it. The Fort itself doesn't get any points.

Quote:
2-It was enough of a challenge, given that it was the first play. Since it is dependent on luck, the challenge will vary according to the rolls I get.

I was wondering about using cards instead of dice to randomise - would that give a little more of a strategic element, as you'd be able to possibly predict what was coming next, or perhaps hold unused cards in your hand...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to play and comment! I've answered the column question in another reply on this thread.

I was trying to get all the rules on a single side of paper, but I think I'll have to use the back for examples maybe...

Quote:
All and all not a bad little activity. Keep it up!

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Tpatts wrote:

I was wondering about using cards instead of dice to randomise - would that give a little more of a strategic element, as you'd be able to possibly predict what was coming next, or perhaps hold unused cards in your hand...?

The diagram would help in placing the markets.

Cards might work- but what about rolling dice to give you "build" points? Then each building "costs" a certain number of points to build. And if you build a square (for example) you don't score any points for it, but it gives you an extra build point on the next turn.

And/or combine this with: I can "scrap" a space for a build point. I'd draw an "X" through a space and then nothing can get built there.

The build points could be the "budget" for that turn. Sometimes you get a good budget, sometimes you don't.

And if you want another wrinkle, add "seasons" to the game. Fall/Spring seasons you get the budget (build points) rolled. In Winter, you lose a point. In summer, you gain a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The diagram would help in placing the markets.

I've updated the rules, which includes a diagram on Market placement. I've also made a couple of changes to the scoring of:
* Houses (which now work the way Inns did)
* Inns (now score double the roll value of one adjacent building)

The file also clarifies (hopefully) the various scoring bonuses that apply.
You can find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry3tgwx8icmne1j/Hylinton%20-%20Rul...

I like the idea of the building points... I'll have to have a think about how that could work. I think I'd quite like the buildings that are placed generate the points, so you could influence what types of buildings can be built in the future by what is already there.

Quote:

And if you want another wrinkle, add "seasons" to the game. Fall/Spring seasons you get the budget (build points) rolled. In Winter, you lose a point. In summer, you gain a point.

I like this idea too, might be tricky to keep track of summer/winter though... maybe it could change when you reach a certain number of buildings placed, or number of points - to make the endgame a little more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.