Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc is an area control game that plays very fast, with some simple deck building elements tied in with many layers of strategy.

ARTWORK AND PRODUCTION -

There is a definite disconnect with the Box art and the game, not a huge issue, but it does seem like an odd choice to have a character on the box that isn't in the game. Initially I didn't like the look of the map artwork, but it has grown on me and it is very functional and clearly defines the differing areas and terrain types.

The artwork on the cards is very good and I like how the buildings of each faction lock into place with the faction board. The quality and detail of the miniatures is excellent and the coloured removable bases are a nice detail.

The only part of the production that is an issue, and it is a pretty big one, is the rule book. I first thought it might be an issue with how I was interpreting the written text, but it appears to be more than an individual problem and a issue with a lack of play testing the game with the rules to a blind group. The rules are missing explanations of some very simple elements that can cause the game to be played incorrectly, and some of the explanations are not detailed with enough depth to ensure that an ambiguous rule issue would be nullified. There should have been a page or 2 explaining, in detail, the limitations of each factions buildings. This is more of an issue with the machine Faction, due to some of the abilities of their offensive structure types.

Overall the production is very good.

GAME PLAY & SIMILARITIES -

The heart of Cry Havoc is an area control game, that mixes a streamlined deck building element, with a nice balance of asymmetrical factions. Each faction has a lot of hidden layers to explore with multiple play-thoughs.

As with a lot of asymmetrical games, it can first appear that some factions are over powered, but this is not the case with Cry Havoc. It is more about finding the best strategy to offset another factions abilities. The Humans seem to be the easiest faction to master with the Machines being a little more tricky to get a handle of. Some people will find this frustrating, as the game is not handed to you on a plate, rather, you need to play the game numerous times to extract the hidden depths of the game play.

The game can last from 3 - 5 rounds, with each round comprising of 3 actions, giving a maximum total of 15 actions per player. This makes for a fast paced game, where every action is a vital one. An action can be either, movement, recruitment, building or scoring. It is the timing of each of these actions that players must decide how to best apply each action phase.

One of the simple yet clever elements to the game is the combat resolution. There are no dice, which is a pleasant change, the only random element is not knowing what cards your opponent has in hand, which may be played for battle effects during the combat phase. The combat resolution is made up of 3 objectives, either gain control of the contested area, capture 1 prisoner or kill the opponents troops. Battles can end with the winner having no units left in the area, and the defeated player retreating with 3 units and a few points. It makes for a very fast, simple yet strategic element to the game.

It is nice to see a new mechanic work so well without the need for endless dice rolling, and putting the combat outcome into the hands of each player, rather than random luck. This system and the Forbidden Stars combat system would be my 2 favorite and well rounded mechanics currently in board games.

There are some similarities with other area control games such as Nexus Ops and Kemet, but Cry Havoc seems to have simplified the game play in some respects while at the same time adding some complex strategy in other ways to make it a more accessible and modern version.

FINAL THOUGHTS -

Cry Hacov won't appeal to everyone, those that don't like conflict will not enjoy this game, as that is the only way to interact with players in the game. Much like Kemet, you need to attack to progress, while sitting back will get you nowhere.

The designers have done a good job with making the game playable with 2 and 3 players, with the use of player controlled Trogs. Overall the game is a well designed, fast paced fun area control that plays in less than 2 hours with very little downtime between turns.

SUMMARY -

4 Artwork
3 Theme
3 Ease of learning
4 Replay Value
4 Innovation
5 Length
2 Interaction
4 Value for money

Average Score = 3.6/5.0

Recommend it - Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice review. I am curious on your rating for Interaction. It seems to me that there is substantial, deadly, interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkatron wrote:
Nice review. I am curious on your rating for Interaction. It seems to me that there is substantial, deadly, interaction.

I think he means there are only 2 interaction outcomes: kill or be killed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
Monkatron wrote:

I think he means there are only 2 interaction outcomes: kill or be killed...

Yes, that is my point. All games of this type only have one avenue for interaction, which is conflict. It doesn't bother me, it was just an assessment of the lack of interaction opportunities outside of conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.