Subject: Movement.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Still in boot camp..in going thru the rules in movement..I'm kinda scratching my head...most wargames I have played,when stacking,allows the entire stack to move,but only as far as the counter having the lowest movement points..ok,did I miss a rule here? I can't find a reference.
Does this rule apply in BoH? Also...can I mix moves by having a squad crawl in one direction and have remaining squads move in regular movement in another?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes a stack would only move as far as the slowest member.

No stacks that move together must move in the same direction and end in the same hex.

If you want to move in different directions, you would need to move them in separate impulses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Vance...thanks...can they assume different postures when moving or must all assume the same one?ss long as they wind up in the same hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can move in different modes if that's what you mean. So some could low crawl while some just moved.

But in reality I've never seen this used in a game and cannot think of a situation in which you would do that. Once you start playing the game most of these hypotheticals just evaporate because they make no sense during actual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Vance...appreciate it..I have always been accused of overthinking..just following the given path!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Barthheart wrote:

No stacks that move together must move in the same direction and end in the same hex.

If you want to move in different directions, you would need to move them in separate impulses.

Leader in a hex gives you a bonus of +2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Barthheart wrote:

Leader in a hex gives you a bonus of +2

snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all....
But how about the units that have a red box on their counters...can they move..shoot..then move back into cover iF MPs allow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. They can move up to half their Movment and then fire. No movement after firing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Vance..
Do they have to move-shoot.....can they shoot-move?tying to take as much advantage as I can...and what the game allows..
Thanks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they have to move first.
Last sentence of last paragraph of 6.1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks again Vance.yet another rule missed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which rule set are you using?

I'd suggest using the latest that you can download from LnLP's website:

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lnlt-world-war-ii-...

That's where the rule I just mentioned is from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Vance have the 4.1 rules
Question about ops complete marker...4.1

2nd paragraph states "units beneath ops complete marker cannot perform any actions"

Yet,the 7th paragraph states that a unit can fire at full FPa hex it has spotted during the same impulse"
Okay...what am I not getting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit makes a spotting action and succeeds it can immediately fire at the spotted enemy instead of just becoming Ops complete.

Other actions that make you Ops complete, like throwing smoke or calling arty, make you Ops complete and you can't do anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Once again Vance,thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I love the system. Been playing it since 2005. Worked with old and new owners of the system. I like to get as many people into it as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Great! I notice that a sniper has a FP of zero...yet u get to roll 2D6...how does the result calculate if u have no FP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2D6+0 = attack power (or whatever it's called... sorry late and I'm full of wine. ).
Some MMCs have a FP of 0 as well. For them it's 1D6+0 = attack power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks again Vance....where is this in the rules? I'm beginning to think I'm am swiftly losing my reading comprehension ability..I really want to get into the rules...the game seems to be what I have been searching for.In the meantime ...enjoy ur wine and the rest of the evening!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
set up some units. run a turn. kill things. make mistakes. rinse repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hodges69 wrote:
Thanks again Vance....where is this in the rules? I'm beginning to think I'm am swiftly losing my reading comprehension ability..I really want to get into the rules...the game seems to be what I have been searching for.In the meantime ...enjoy ur wine and the rest of the evening!

Section on combat 5.0 paragraph 4, and Snipers 11.4 paragraph 2.

Like Kev said, the best way to learn this game is just throw some counters on a map and start playing through the rules. Or take one of the smaller scenarios that is just infantry and start playing.

Once the concepts click the game plays really well and fast. Most of us hardly ever even have to refer to the combat tables any more because is becomes second nature and they are simple to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Vance and Kev..thank you..but for the life of me,I have checked the referenced rules ..and can find nothing specifically related to how to compute the rolled 2D6 into FP...
In any case..the rub is I can only play games solo..I have no one to commiserate with..to either chide or advise me...so,it's hard to see what I'm doing wrong..I know there are solo rules forthcoming..hence my desire to learn the rules in a solid fashion as I am sure this will be most necessary to grasp the solo rules...
Question which is rather basic 101.. but I feel it will clear some things up..I know this is not a true...you go..I go system...but it appears to take place in impulses...but everyone has to take an action for all their units before a turn is completed.either pass,move,fire etc,right....in that sense whoever gets the initiative moves first...moves a unit.fires,etc..but takes an action..then it becomes the oppositions impulse correct?
On and so forth until all units have either passed or completed allowable moves..Right?
I really want to nail these rules ..this game and system looks like it will be playable for many years..so,if I break your b***s with a deluge of questions,please understand why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first part of 5.0 Fire Combat paragraph 4 states:

Quote:
If range, LOS, and spotting requirements are met, the attacker adds its total Firepower (FP) to 1d6, adds any applicable Leadership Modifiers (11.1), and then modifies the results with any target movement, degrading-terrain (see section 10.3) or other DFT die-roll modifiers.

The last sentence of 11.4 Snipers paragraph 2 states:
Quote:
The Sniper, however, rolls 2d6 for its attack instead of 1d6.

These two rules together tell you to add the FP of the sniper, which is 0, to a 2D6 roll instead of the usual 1D6 roll for an attack. I believe there are some snipers out there in the system that have 1 or 2 as their FP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct about the impulse system, mostly.

Each turn is made up of series on impulses. In each impulse, a unit or stack of units gets to act.

The player with the initiative gets the first impulse then the players alternate impulses.

The turn continues until all units have acted OR there has been 3 passes in a row with no actions in between.
Player 1 passes, player 2 passes, player 1 passes again the turn ends immediately. It's the players passing, not individual units.
This can result in some units not having acted in that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.