Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which answer best fits your status for playing or not playing MTG?
I play Magic: The Gathering regularly (several times a month)
I play Magic: The Gathering once in a while (several times a year)
I play Magic: The Gathering but not much anymore (my decks are collecting dust)
I use to play Magic: The Gathering but then found board games are more fun (I sold all my rares)
I never got into that Card-Board-Crack game called Magic: The Gathering
None of the answers above "best fits" my status for playing or not playing Magic The Gathering
Am waiting for "Bacon: The Eating" game to start!
      448 answers
Poll created by killerjoe1962
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played for at least 5 years, but I still have my collection and I do not intend to get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm far more casual than I used to be, I've been very active in the community and playing over the last 15-20 years.

Honestly the game's really grown into something special over the last ten years. Largest player base ever, interesting game/theme/storyline interaction, and the playerbase is definitely more mature than many other competitive tabletop and eSports games.

Commander is where it's at!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played since 1996, but I still have my cards. Maybe I have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not play magic now, but I would if I found a casual group that played (and I could fit more gaming in my schedule)

edit: I played board games long before I encountered Magic, and it didn't really get in the way of my interest in board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

FYI - no more "Batches", lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
cafin8d wrote:

right! I seem to recall having to print out 30 pages of timing rules from usenet. remember usenet ? Man I'm old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I intend to hang onto my cards, and still occasionally play casually, but I haven't really considered myself a Magic player in several years. I have a group of friends who meet semi-regularly to play a number of formats and I'm just not interested in participating.

There are a lot of reasons, ranging from power creep to spending too much money on singles to finding their worldbuilding to be uninteresting. But I think the biggest reason is that the sense of openness and wonder that drew me to the game has gone out of it in my eyes. As a kid in the 90s, my friends and I would bike to the local comic book store every weekend and buy packs. When we'd open them, we'd find cards we'd never dreamed about. Maybe we knew their names from a list in Scrye or The Duelist, but we'd never seen the art and we had no idea what the cards did. It really felt like I was exploring distant corners of a multiverse, and I loved it.

Now it seems like the moment a set drops, the online community has every card rated, analyzed, and dissected, and everyone knows what cards will be dominating the tournament scene for the next several months. I know I wouldn't have to look at any of that, but I know it's there, and it does creep into the groups I've played with. The magic has gone out of Magic for me. I can still find it in boardgames, and I feel like it's a better use of my money, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
cafin8d wrote:

right! I seem to recall having to print out 30 pages of timing rules from usenet. remember usenet ? Man I'm old.

Yep! My "go To" place was The Dojo, LOL!

I remember posting my UBER casual blue/green deck Erratic-Spikes using Erratic Portal (old artifact that bounce creatures back to their owners if they don't pay 1 mana) & both Spike Feeder (life gainer) & Spike Weaver (Fog on legs), I would send my creatures back to my hand at the end of my opponent's turn and then had Capsize and Tradewind Riders/Wall of Blossoms to send their stuff back, LOL. No one liked playing me back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

That is the only format that interests me, and I now have 11 commander decks. We play every Tuesday, and typically Friday nights too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
I started with Pokemon TCG, then advanced to Yu-Gi-Oh and finally moved to MTG online. Spent €200 playing Pauper format.

Then I moved on to board games. I wish I moved earlier and spent that money on Board Gaming.

I now play Dominion with my GF and it does more than scratch the itch of my card playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to play additively when it was new up through Weatherlight or so.

Nowadays I don't play a lot, but every now and then Lisa and will buy a bunch of packs to play our own strange draft variant, and then we'll usually get 20+ plays in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play, but it just takes more dedication that I am willing to commit. I have comics, a game group, painting, and other things that take my time and money. I just couldn't afford it by either of those standards. Plus, I would just get my as kicked all the time by everybody ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played causally for a few months over 10 years ago using a friends cards. I never bought any cards myself (I could see it becoming a massive money sink). The friend in question sold all his cards, I still have a life tracking D20 he gave me (he kept one too).

I'd be tempted to build a cube or stack to play it again, but don't really have the time & knowledge to do so, and there are lots of other games I enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Mabuchi wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

That is the only format that interests me, and I now have 11 commander decks.

Its all EDH here for my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I basically collect the Duel Decks as they come out. They're fun to play and make a nice wall between you and the hardcore scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
I started with Pokemon TCG, then advanced to Yu-Gi-Oh and finally moved to MTG online. Spent €200 playing Pauper format.

Then I moved on to board games. I wish I moved earlier and spent that money on Board Gaming.

I now play Dominion with my GF and it does more than scratch the itch of my card playing.

I actually started out with: Overpower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I have not played for at least 5 years, but I still have my collection and I do not´inted to get rid of it.

Yep. Probably never getting rid of my collection either. I can go years without playing, and then, every so often, the opportunity arises to pull em out of storage, dust em off, and get some heavy gaming in with them for months or even a year or two before they finally end up going back into storage for the next decade.

My Magic:tG collection is sort of like the gaming equivalent of the 17 year cicadas! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Mark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
It's definitely still fun for me, but I've dropped off, considerably.

My friends still play every Thursday night. We used to do once or twice a month on Saturday night's, but that friend stopped doing that about a year ago, so it moved to another friend's place and they play during the week.

That's one of the main reason's I've dropped off; I just can't stay up that late on a work night. They usually don't start until 9pm and play until 3am.

I haven't gone in a while. I like playing, but I'm also done dropping hundreds of dollars a year on the new sets to keep up with everyone. I have my main 10 or so decks and have been thinking of selling all those decks I never finished building and a bunch of the planeswalker and expensive rare's I've bought the last 3 years that aren't in my main decks.

Recently, that group started talking about trying out D&D, and I have them interested in playing some board games as well. So looks like I may actually go through and sell a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Lindsey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to play at high school up until the end of the Invasion cycle back in....must have been around 2002. Still got all my cards though.

But I'm hopelessly addicted to MTG: Puzzle Quest on my phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:

I never understood the comparison of Dominion to Magic. Maybe I'm missing something. I've certainly played far more games of Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
educatedgravy wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:

I never understood the comparison of Dominion to Magic. Maybe I'm missing something. I've certainly played far more games of Magic.

It's the picking/sorting/drafting/shuffling of the cards, that's the comparison....or so i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
educatedgravy wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:

It's the picking/sorting/drafting/shuffling of the cards, that's the comparison....or so i think.

For sure. Deckbuilding. Vaccarino was or is a Magic player. Here's an interesting article he wrote:

The Secret History of Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
educatedgravy wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:

It's not the same certainly, there are no monsters battling and stuff but there is the deckbuilding element. I like building my deck as I play as opposed to pre made deckbuilding. Also Dominion is a much more fair game.

Its fair. All players build their deck from same pool of cards.

Its cheaper. Much cheaper. There is no trading in Dominion. You buy the sets and that's all you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play and had a lot of fun back in the day. I quit and haven't looked back since. If they came out a format where you could purchase an entire set and be done with, I would consider playing again. The way it is now, I won't touch it.

I have tried many games that have tried to do something similar and the closest I've come to enjoy as much as magic is Yu-Gi-Oh on the ps3. I like that for $10 or whatever it was, I could get access to all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.