Conan» Forums » General

Subject: In the Clutches of the Picts - Comments , question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Well, first the question:

- Dredging the river is considered a title activation, or it is "free" (in terms of activation), so in one turn i can pay 2 gems to return a title to the box and them activate 2 titles, or i do this and activate only one more title?

EDIT: One more question, i had seen on another topic that you can only break the walls of woden huts, it seens fair and logical, but as nothing is said in the scenario rules, and on another scenarios they say specificallt what walls cannot be broken, i thought that i could break any hut, so only the woden ones can be broken? this makes the scenario much better (actually i will play this way even if it is not the oficial rule )

--- Spoilers from here ----

Well, i was reading comments on this scenario where people say it is not so easy to the players... i tested it to learn the rules and it seemed very easy for the heroes, actually too easy.

If you put the aditional player starting with conan, you can by turn zero, pay 3 gems to wall break into the hut of zogar sag and easilly kill him with conan, and if he has some health left belit/valeria can finish him (you have Shavatas too if you are veeeerrrrryyyyyyy unluck with the dice), so it is almost impossible for him to survive until the first warlord turn. Shevatas can kill the 2 Hienas and search the chest and Hadrathus can search the green pict hut and teleort to Conan for safety. So by turn zero you alread have the head of zogar, and 3 huts/chests searched.

There is little the warlord can do then, the best i could do was put one pict warrior and 2 red pict hunters into the hut to try to damage the exausted conan, you can even get 6-7 gems from him. but by turn 2 everyone is rested and the hut is clear, and there is a good chance the players have or will find heal potions sooon.

Hadrathus can every odd turn teleport to a different hut to try to find the princess, when he finds it teleport to the exit and the scenario is done, really to easy.

Well, as a introdutory scenario it was made to be easy for the players, i was just impressed by people saying that it is easier for the warlord to win.

And the teleport spell seens very overpowered to scenarios where the goal is to search something, i think it should be changed to something else, anyways with the heroes rested by turn 2 with the head of zogar alread in hand, it is easy for them to just walk into the reamaining hut to find the princess....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wall Wrecker can't break stone walls (only wooden ones) and costs 2 *extra* gems in addition to the normal movement cost. This is a translation error that has been reported numerous times in these forums.

I don't think dredging the river costs an action, but I don't have the rules in front of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Dystopian wrote:
Wall Wrecker can't break stone walls (only wooden ones) and costs 2 *extra* gems in addition to the normal movement cost. This is a translation error that has been reported numerous times in these forums.

I don't think dredging the river costs an action, but I don't have the rules in front of me.

Yes, i had seen it to, even edited the post... as for the cost i was alread playing right (i payied 3 aditional gems, 2 for the skill plus one to enter)

and for dredge the river the rules says nothing, just that you can pay to use it... i am assuming it is action free (and probably is), i just want to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galahadba wrote:
and for dredge the river the rules says nothing, just that you can pay to use it... i am assuming it is action free (and probably is), i just want to be sure.

FWIW, my completely unofficial and humble opinion is that dredging does not cost an action. Justification: A) the rules don't mention it (but, yeah, we know how that goes!) and B) the OL is already being punished by the permanent loss of 2 gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you're playing the teleport correctly, too? It costs 1 to cast the spell then 1 extra per area moved, so investigating 3 huts using it will cost 8 gems (if you use your movement first) - unless the mage starts with 11 (assuming -5 to start then +2 recovery on the 1st turn) then he won't have enough, or even if he does he won't have any left for defending and will end up in a hut with enemies. Or if he saves his movement to escape 1 area, it will cost him 9 gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Mad-Halfling wrote:
Are you sure you're playing the teleport correctly, too? It costs 1 to cast the spell then 1 extra per area moved, so investigating 3 huts using it will cost 8 gems (if you use your movement first) - unless the mage starts with 11 (assuming -5 to start then +2 recovery on the 1st turn) then he won't have enough, or even if he does he won't have any left for defending and will end up in a hut with enemies. Or if he saves his movement to escape 1 area, it will cost him 9 gems.

3 huts in total, he look into only one in the first turn, then in every odd turn he looks another (1 turn to rest and recover gemns between investigations)

The other 2 huts are the ones with the hienas (Shevatas) and the one with Zogar.

Anyways if you cannot break into the stone huts i think the scenario will play well, i will give another try to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galahadba wrote:
3 huts in total, he look into only one in the first turn, then in every odd turn he looks another (1 turn to rest and recover gemns between investigations)

Tip: if Haddy spends his full first turn recovering, he can inspect (IIRC) 3 huts on his second turn, and might even have a gem or two left over for looting chests (his Concentration skill means he is not Hindered when looting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
galahadba wrote:

Hadrathus can every odd turn teleport to a different hut to try to find the princess, when he finds it teleport to the exit and the scenario is done, really to easy.

He can not teleport to the exit carrying the princess. She is weight 6 and Hadrathus spell casting has an exertion limit of 5, so can not cast any spells while carrying her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
multifish wrote:
galahadba wrote:

He can not teleport to the exit carrying the princess. She is weight 6 and Hadrathus spell casting has an exertion limit of 5, so can not cast any spells while carrying her.

i made the same mistake the first time or two i played it - completely overlooked that he lost Spellcasting when carrying too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
multifish wrote:
galahadba wrote:

Good point, i think i Will begin marking players lost skills with red gems so i don't lose track
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galahadba wrote:
multifish wrote:
galahadba wrote:

Good point, i think i Will begin marking players lost skills with red gems so i don't lose track

i've started placing a plastic token or wooden pawn along their "weight bar" for this purpose. i dislike using the gems for this because they slide around too easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
galahadba wrote:
multifish wrote:
galahadba wrote:

i've started placing a plastic token or wooden pawn along their "weight bar" for this purpose. i dislike using the gems for this because they slide around too easily.

Good idea, i probably have some good tokens from other games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
multifish wrote:
galahadba wrote:

Thanks, I missed that too. My only hero win so far relied on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Pšenák
msg tools
I also consider this scenario extremely difficult for heroes, if overlord plays well.
Keep in mind the following:
1. Conan cannot wreck stone walls (i.e. the hut with Zogar Sag and the bottom one in front of Haddrathus)
2. Haddrathus loses Spellcasting (cannot Teleport) and Shevatas Elusive when carrying the princess. (Snake's Blocking skill makes it impossible to move out of his space with the princess).

As I've said in a similar thread, keeping these things in mind, heroes can avoid killing the Snake if it blocks the princess. If the princess is places in the bottom stone hut and the Snake moves there (or in front of that hut, but it is better inside, because it can't be targetted by ranged attacks) asap, it is extremely difficult for heroes to make it in time even with extraordinary good dice rolls. Overlord just needs to move mooks to delay heroes.
In fact, we have not been able to find a way to beat this strategy yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MalyZubor wrote:

FYI: there's at least one more thread where the poster is defending that same stance (though i think he's placing the snake in the very center and moving Sag there, rather than the other way around). See thread 1656110 for more discussion on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
MalyZubor wrote:

FYI: there's at least one more thread where the poster is defending that same stance (though i think he's placing the snake in the very center and moving Sag there, rather than the other way around). See thread 1656110 for more discussion on this.

I am the OP of the mentioned thread.
But my strategy is quite the opposite. Conan can't reach Sag in turn 0 but sooner or later he will try to get there. So I move the snake/Pict warriors to sag's stone wall hut and/or use them to block Conan.
Sag will never leave the hut and will always have some guard gems as backup.

The heroes may win but only with lucky rolls/chest finds in the first few rounds.
If not they get crushed sooner or later or simply run out of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.