DAK2» Forums » General

Subject: FIrst Game - First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I played my first game on saturday night. I played the first introductory scenario, a small scenario that pits the might of the italian army against the commonwealth forces, mostly the 7th Arm Div and the 4rth Indian Div. The Commonwealth must drive the Italians from egypt. It was a relatively short scenario, a mere 6 turns, playable easily in an evening.

The problems:
Ok I don't mind counters that much, but I made the mistake of prepunching all the counters and then bagging them. Unfortunately i didn't have as many bags as I liked so there were quite a few counters in each bag. Not a problem in many games, huge problem even in this quite small scenario. I have to admit I am interested in WWII, but don't I have a great knowledge of how specific military structures worked in WWII, since every counter is unique and there are well over 1,000 counters it makes setting up even for a small scenario incredibly painful. I suspect as we get used to the game this will diminish. I don't think there is any easy way around this, but I just ordered a few counter boxes to keep and sort out all the counters with. So I should be able to sort it out, but it was rater frustrating. Also many of the counters were not exactly labeled the same as they were in the set up, again people who know about military orginization will breeze through this, but I didn't have an easy time of it. I played a couple solo games the next day and found it less of a problem (the first one was Face to Face).

Well that is my only complaint now on to the good stuff.

Cool Stuff:
Well OCS is quite obviously a masterpiece of game design. The supply mechanics are simple, but challenging and really make you feel like face the same problems that a real commander would face. In our game the Commonwealth player spent too much resource on artillery attempting to smash italians into submission. This meant he didn't have as much as he wanted for actual attacks, which hamstrung him somewhat. I liked that al the artillery in the world was useless without the supply to back it up.

In the full campaign you can see that managing your supply and building up stock piles would be crucial, in a 6 turn scenario, you don't have the luxury of time, but I love the trade offs in the game. The strategy is amazingly deep. Lots of questions are thrown up, do you wait for your attack until you have enough supply to seriously weeken their fron line, but allow them to reinforce and build up supplies. Do you try and crush them piecemeal and attack without as much supplies as you want. Do you use your air support for attacks against supply or supporting front line troops? Is it worth spending supply to dig in? or place mine? I absolutely love the system and can't recommend it enought.

The rules are great to read. There are entertaining and at times very humorous. The rules are well written, well formatted and well organized.

The rules were relatively simple once we got our heads around supply. One of the greatest advantages of the game was that it felt very unscripted. As a commander you seemed to have so much freedom to adopt different strategies to tackle various situations. Anyway the whole game gets the big thumbs up from me. At the moment it is probably the game I want to play the most, so I am looking forward to my next game.
Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo-hoo, a convert!

I think that what you will also find is, although the game is, as you say, unscripted - because the player as overall commander has so many choices - you should find that, against a good opponent, the system will punish "dumb" choices.

There's a vassal module for DAK at http://www.gamersarchive.net/public/vassal/DAKII_V0_3.mod.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmmm vassal, must resist the urge to quit work and play this full time .... Great game at the moment it is about all I want to play. I will certainly look at the vassal mod. Thanks mike Oh boy does it punish bad decisions. In the first game the Commonwealth spent way too much on artillery and his attack stagnated, sure the italians didn't kill much, but they easily held on untill the end. Might look at playing again this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try implementing O'Connor's historical attack and see where that gets you...you need to starve the Italians out en masse, not trade steps or SPs in slugfests.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheers... we kinda guessed that after the initial disaster, hey his loss was my gain devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart cudahy
Australia
flag msg tools
Sounds like a good game. How does it play out with deep armored flanking moves and threatening supply? cheers Stu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to work pretty well. Many armoured units are very quick and they can push through lines and cut off trace supply (basically food and water),o destroy supply dumps and attack airfields. While this can have big time pay offs it also carries big risks. If you don't effectively stop your enemy you'll simply have your armoured divisions cut off and destroyed. There are also plenty of raiding groups, LRDG, SAS, and others. I'm basing this off one proper play and a few solo plays to learn the rules. Thats why I didn't give a proper review as I wanted to just give a few initial impressions, once I've played more I may give a review or something like that.

oh is your ever in NZ look me up I'll teach you how to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Vale!
badge
The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
The rules are great to read. There are entertaining and at times very humorous. The rules are well written, well formatted and well organized.

The rules were relatively simple once we got our heads around supply. One of the greatest advantages of the game was that it felt very unscripted. As a commander you seemed to have so much freedom to adopt different strategies to tackle various situations. Anyway the whole game gets the big thumbs up from me. At the moment it is probably the game I want to play the most, so I am looking forward to my next game.
Colin

Couldn't agree more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls