Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Nightmare Mastermind & Dr Strange Hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Designed this custom mastermind, his master-strikes go into your deck to represent him getting in your head, and then tactics all play off of that. I went with him being not that tough in terms of attack, but really punishing you with the Master Strikes in your deck. Played against him once in advanced solo and worked ok (I lost on 8th Twist):

Nightmare
Image: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/a/a5/Nig...

Attack 8+
VP 6
Always leads: a random Villain group conjured from the Heroes' worst fears.
Master Strike: Put this in your discard pile. Each player with a Wound or Master Strike in their discard pile then discards a card.
Special: Nightmare and the Villain group he leads get +1 attack for each Master Strike in players' discard piles. Any player who KOs a Master Strike gains a Wound.

Find another Victim
You may put any number of Wounds or Master Strikes from your discard pile on top of the decks of other players.

Turn Strength to Weakness
Each player with a Wound or Master Strike in their discard pile KOs the highest cost Hero in their discard pile.

Paralyze through Trauma
Each player with a Wound or Master Strike in their discard pile puts a Wound from the Wound stack on top of their deck.

Face your Fears
Play a card from the Villain deck for each player who has a Wound or Master Strike in their discard pile.

Clarification: Master Strikes in your deck confer no recruit or attack, have cost 0 and do not count as having a colour or class. Nightmare's Masterstrike effect is only activated when a Master Strike is drawn from the Villain deck.

Feedback Welcome.

See below for Dr Strange Hero ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Nightmare: Custom Mastermind
Oh man... solo play will not be a real nightmare.

But I do like him; sounds fun and interesting. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does this stand up against multiple players? Maybe his Master strike should make players discard for each strike in each player's pile? Or maybe his attack should be adjusted for the master strikes in each players pile?

Or... maybe you add 4 master strikes plus 1 for each player? I don't know if this would work great though, there's only 5 master strikes in the Core set, correct? I think there are multiple command strikes if someone has villains. You could also add wounds to the villain deck as a master strike.

Just some thoughts so he scales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The character seems pretty interesting (I hadn't heard of him so I checked it out on Wikipedia).

And I do like him as a replacement for Sauron in your Hulk expansion suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds very intriging, but I have a few questions.

1) When you reshuffle the discard pile, and you draw it again, does it activate the Master Strike command again? (Pretty sure the answer is yes, but just checking )

2) How do you go about KOing a Master Strike? Does it play like a wound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Good feedback.

I've made some changes to make him a little tougher (not too tough, I'm aiming mid-tier), which should help him scale better to more players.
-I've had him boost off of Wounds and Master Strikes in players' discard piles so that effects are more likely to activate
-I've extended the attack boost to his Villain group
-the attack boost and discarding go off of all players' discard piles now, but not from cards in players' hands (I thought that would be too awkward to keep track off and too powerful)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darreb510 wrote:
Sounds very intriging, but I have a few questions.

1) When you reshuffle the discard pile, and you draw it again, does it activate the Master Strike command again? (Pretty sure the answer is yes, but just checking )

2) How do you go about KOing a Master Strike? Does it play like a wound?

1) No, a master strike in your deck is intended as a dead card, like a wound but without the healing ability.

2) Any card that lets you KO a card from your hand or discard pile could KO a Master Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
Playing against any wound-based scheme or -dealing villain group will be a real... nightmare.

I'll see myself out.

Also Shang-chi would be great against this. Makes me want a dr strange (unaffiliated?) hero deck that can look at top card of tactics stack (call it astral plane?) and reshuffle your discard pile (book of the vishanti?) and teleport or phasing (maybe combine that with astral plane).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctulis59 wrote:
Playing against any wound-based scheme or -dealing villain group will be a real... nightmare.

See the scheme I made: Get Inside Hulk's Head
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664179/hulk-themed-mini-ex...

Quote:
Also Shang-chi would be great against this.

Yes, and Shang Chi's interaction with the discard pile is a mechanic not used much, that's why I thought this would be interesting. It makes you think about when to hit the mastermind, and you find yourself trying to exhaust your deck so you can flip your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctulis59 wrote:
Makes me want a dr strange (unaffiliated?) hero deck that can look at top card of tactics stack (call it astral plane?) and reshuffle your discard pile (book of the vishanti?) and teleport or phasing (maybe combine that with astral plane).

I saw the movie yesterday and it was awesome.

Here's what I came up with on my jog home:

1st common:
Open a Portal
Ranged; cost 4; 2 recruit
Teleport
Ranged: Once this turn, you may put a card from your discard pile on top of your deck by paying half its cost in recruit (rounding up).
Image: https://images.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,q_auto,w_710/kn...

2nd common:
Maintain cosmic balance
Ranged; cost 3; 1 attack; 1 recruit
You may discard a card, if you do, draw a card.
Image: http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/1/9/3/3/4/0/19334012f5ce7afcbb...

Uncommon:
Eye of Agamotto
Covert; cost 6
Artifact: Once per turn you get +2 recruit or +2 attack.
Once per turn you may look at the top mastermind tactic and put it back on the top or bottom of the mastermind tactics.
Image: http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Do...

Rare:
Warp Reality
Ranged; cost 8; 3+ attack; 0+ recruit
Phasing
You get +1 attack for every two cards in your discard pile.
Ranged-Ranged: You get +1 recruit for every two cards in your discard pile.
Image: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/b/...

I'm thinking maybe a Marvel Knights affiliation.

(open to better suggestions for the images)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
I reallllly like these. The only critique I would have is that they are light on attack, but then again, maybe he should be more of a support hero? Anyways not sure where you would put that attack, so it's probably fine.

I'd also consider making Maintain Cosmic Balance an Instinct card, and maybe give it [Ranged, Instinct]: You may discard your deck.

This would buff his Rare, but might make it hard to trigger, gives more color, and opposed to instinct-instinct trigger, still would give you the opportunity to reshuffle if you played another one of these cards so you could cycle the whole deck faster.

Thematically, it's like him purging the magic-related suffering he endures into Mr Misery in Jason Aaron's recent issues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctulis59 wrote:
I reallllly like these. The only critique I would have is that they are light on attack, but then again, maybe he should be more of a support hero? Anyways not sure where you would put that attack, so it's probably fine.

Thanks for the feedback. He is light on attack and I wondered about that quite a bit. I was originally going to have the uncommon cheaper with just the mastermind tactic ability, but I figured he needed more attack so I added the other ability. The thing with him is, you only need a couple of high attack cards (which will be easy to get with all his recruit), and then you can keep retrieving them from your discard pile.

Quote:
I'd also consider making Maintain Cosmic Balance an Instinct card, and maybe give it [Ranged, Instinct]: You may discard your deck.

This would buff his Rare, but might make it hard to trigger, gives more color, and opposed to instinct-instinct trigger, still would give you the opportunity to reshuffle if you played another one of these cards so you could cycle the whole deck faster.

hmmm...I think that could be a bit over-powered and maybe over-complicates his common. I prefer my cards simple. It would need an increase in cost and I'd prefer to keep it cheap. The rare is already potentially quite powerful, and has phasing so you can save it for a turn when you'll get the most out of it, and the common does already boost it by allowing you to add to your discard pile.

I'll keep it mind when I get around to play-testing him though, and see how it works.

Quote:
Thematically, it's like him purging the magic-related suffering he endures into Mr Misery in Jason Aaron's recent issues

I'd have to bow to your superior knowledge on that one, I don't think I've ever read any Dr Strange comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made a small tweak to both Nightmare and Dr Strange after another play test.

Was finding Nightmare's masterstrikes just a bit too crippling in solo (I've not beaten him yet), so I've changed them to only cause a single discard from your hand, not one for every wound or masterstrike in your hand.

For Dr Strange, I found Open a Portal a bit under-powered in that you could only grab one card and had to pay the full cost for it, so I've changed it to require half the cost in recruit instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still finding Nightmare overly tough, so made the attack boost conditional on master-strikes only, not wounds. Makes it a little easier for solo, but should also scale up better for multiple players (where everyone can a gain a wound at once).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.