BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Let's all take a deep breath ... hold it ... let it go, let it go rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I actually had a doughnut (okay, it was a cinnamon twist long john, but I digress) and my coffee next to me when I jumped into RSP. I figured it would be entertaining and it is! The wailing and rending of clothes by the liberals, the stunned glee of the conservatives, and the endless whining over .. shit, everything: main stream media, Electoral College, Hitler, goats, gay wedding cakes.

Let's all lighten up a bit. My wife, a Hillary Clinton backer in 2008, was too depressed to stay up with me until 3 a.m. to watch it end. But this morning, she sat smiling at the kitchen table, feeding bits of her bagel to our cat Wilbur and drinking coffee, she admitted she's feeling good and isn't worried. The sun is up, the day looks good, and, well, you'll have to refer to my "My Election Day confession" thread to understand the underlying cause of her satisfaction.

Life goes on. Things are the same as they were yesterday, and despite the insane political rhetoric of the past 19 months, the American Republic has not been tottering on the edge of failure nor will it collapse into totalitarianism in the next 19 months. It's politics, not reality. There's football on TV on the weekend. Good restaurants around the corner. Good friends all over the place. Chill, peace out, mellow -- whatever your chosen phrase is, do it. You live in a country that is the envy of most of the world's population. Stop whining, start living.

By the way, you can't blame me for the next 2-4 years. I voted Kodos, aka the Killery.

Take it easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Supreme Court nominations. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is not long for this world. That's a Trump nom replacing a liberal justice.

Repeal of the ACA and replaced with health savings plans.

Complete denial of climate change.

Putin, a power hungry dictator who wants to return his country to the glory years of the former Soviet Union, loves that Trump is now going to be our president. Do you think the Duma cheered when Reagan took office? Not likely.

To name just four issues.

No, the world won't end today, tomorrow or even when Trump takes office.

But this is a turning point that goes far beyond a single day, month or year. None of this is a statement of support for Hillary. That's not the point at all. This is about Trump's effect on the country and world based on what we already know about him. We are in deep shit in the years ahead. Today was just the first step in time. Of course it will be okay for the time being. To think that being okay today negates a need to be alarmed - a completely understatement! - is a denial of reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Let it go, Pat, let it go. We have plenty of time to see what happens and react accordingly. But today, let it go. Be at peace, my brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Let it go, Pat, let it go. We have plenty of time to see what happens and react accordingly. But today, let it go. Be at peace, my brother.

Do you have a chronic disease? I have two and I'm otherwise uninsurable.

My training in US Army Intelligence was all about Soviet weapons and military capabilities.

To tell me to let it go is asking me to not care that laws might pass that might result in my early death. Worse, you're telling me to ignore everything I know about Russia, to completely ignore my training and knowledge and act as if everything is okay.

You're asking me to forget what I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Absolutely not. What I am merely advising is that, for today, you reflect on other things besides politics. My sincere sympathies for your health issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we should turn to Stinky Wizzleteats for help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Supreme Court nominations. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is not long for this world. That's a Trump nom replacing a liberal justice.

Putin, a power hungry dictator who wants to return his country to the glory years of the former Soviet Union, loves that Trump is now going to be our president. Do you think the Duma cheered when Reagan took office? Not likely.

But this is a turning point that goes far beyond a single day, month or year. None of this is a statement of support for Hillary. That's not the point at all. This is about Trump's effect on the country and world based on what we already know about him. We are in deep shit in the years ahead. Today was just the first step in time. Of course it will be okay for the time being. To think that being okay today negates a need to be alarmed - a completely understatement! - is a denial of reality.

I don't get people being upset about having a more positive relationship with Russia. Frankly, Clinton's sabre rattling at Russia over Ukraine and Syria was frightening. Yes, Trump wants to talk with Russia. Why is that a bad thing?

Now, will Trump follow through? Who knows...he is a lying politician. But on at least this one issue, I can breath a sigh of relief that a psycho who wants to pick fights with Russia won't be able to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
theodorelogan wrote:
travvller wrote:

I don't get people being upset about having a more positive relationship with Russia. Frankly, Clinton's sabre rattling at Russia over Ukraine and Syria was frightening. Yes, Trump wants to talk with Russia. Why is that a bad thing?

Talk to Russia? Hell, just let Putin do whatever he wants, right? After all, we don't want to give them self-esteem issues or anything.

You really don't have a concept of international relations, do you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
travvller wrote:

Talk to Russia? Hell, just let Putin do whatever he wants, right? After all, we don't want to give them self-esteem issues or anything.

Well, one concept that I've been sort of kicking around is that meddling in the affairs of nations that border a nuclear power is kinda dangerous. Especially when said nuclear power starts to feel encircled. I wonder how the US government would react if Russia helped to overthrow governments in Canada and Mexico and they joined a newly created Warsaw pact, designed to curb the expansionism of the USA.

Another one is that America's military interventions seem to lead to millions of innocent people dying, so maybe not threatening war all the time might be a good idea.

So, I guess I've got a couple of concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Netherlands
Zutphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
feeling good and isn't worried.
the day looks good,
satisfaction.
It's politics, not reality.
football on TV .
Good restaurants
Good friends
Chill,
peace out,
mellow .

Like, awessome, dude!

A climate change denier in the whitehouse. Just when the Paris accord comes into play. The most meaningful attempt at curbing emissions (and one that falls desperately short of what's needed).
Either you are not paying attention or you're a fool.

So actually I'm a bit furious right now on behalf of my kids and the natural world.
All that wealth, education and privilege yet you seem to have a pretty poor grasp of the enormous issue at hand.

But, hey, you've got a bagel right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
collapsing wave wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
feeling good and isn't worried.
the day looks good,
satisfaction.
It's politics, not reality.
football on TV .
Good restaurants
Good friends
Chill,
peace out,
mellow .

Like, awessome, dude!

A climate change denier in the whitehouse. Just when the Paris accord comes into play. The most meaningful attempt at curbing emissions (and one that falls desperately short of what's needed).

So actually I'm a bit furious right now on behalf of my kids and the natural world.
All that wealth, education and privilege yet you seem to have a pretty poor grasp of the enormous issue at hand.

But, hey, you've got a bagel right?

Yeah, I bet that Kansas will be covered in one gigantic smog cloud on January 20th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Absolutely not. What I am merely advising is that, for today, you reflect on other things besides politics. My sincere sympathies for your health issues.

Easy to say, I suppose, for a guy who isn't about to get fucked over in multiple ways by the policies proposed by our new president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Jesus, you people are way too wound up, aren't you? I didn't say forget it, I didn't say everything is unicorns and rainbows, I didn't say the Donald will be the greatest president ever.

What I was trying to get across is that, for one day, let it go. We all have issues -- I'm on medication for the rest of my life, my daughter is a teacher and they keep cutting her benefits and pay, climate change worries the hell out of me, etc. etc. I'm 57 going on 58 and I can assure you there is always something BIG to worry about, and most of the time there are numerous BIGS to worry about.

But an aspect of mental health is to occasionally step back, concentrate on what is good in your life or in your neighborhood, to live in the moment (for a moment) and find balance. My apologies, my deepest apologies, for suggesting that after 19 months of furious back and forth over politics, that for a few hours, you stop. You look at a green space, you enjoy the sound of water falling, you catch the sun on your face, and just be.

But you want to be miserable 24/7, be my guest. Don't take my advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
travvller wrote:

Well, one concept that I've been sort of kicking around is that meddling in the affairs of nations that border a nuclear power is kinda dangerous. Especially when said nuclear power starts to feel encircled. I wonder how the US government would react if Russia helped to overthrow governments in Canada and Mexico and they joined a newly created Warsaw pact, designed to curb the expansionism of the USA.

Another one is that America's military interventions seem to lead to millions of innocent people dying, so maybe not threatening war all the time might be a good idea.

So, I guess I've got a couple of concepts.

Yeah, this is what I don't get either. It seems like I'm living in some type of bizzaro world where the anti-war left are now the ones pushing for aggressive action against Russia. I always thought they were there to reign in the warhawk tendencies of the right.

There's must be something in the water.

(and no, I didn't vote for either)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Netherlands
Zutphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
You look at a green space, you enjoy the sound of water falling, you catch the sun on your face, and just be.

Fair enough, friend.

I guess your timing was off. But hey, RSP. Tough crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Hey, I think Americans have made a hug mistake and refuse to pretend otherwise. Still, sof sof as we say here (i.e., in the end) the US really isn't my country anymore. I care because so many of my friends and family are still there and because it was at least the only country I knew or could remember till a few days short of my 31st birthday.

Back in 2001 I decided I had to leave once and for all as I watched GW Bush give a speech laying out the groundwork for how to kill American democracy while pretending to protect it. Americans didn't fight it; they loved it. Those who pretended to stand against the trend stopped pretending when the other party put up a Bush clone who promoted hope and change with drones, no challenge to the Patriot Act, and a competition for which party could be more xenophobic.

I had tried not too many years before to see if I (blind as a proverbial bat) couldn't somehow nonetheless join the US Navy. Others said my language and math skills were a better fit for the CIA. Neither one panned out. My parents loved to point out the flaws in America and (long story) how they had been stranded in the US against their will about the time I was born. I was proud to be an American. I'm not ashamed but I have chosen to leave. Americans are hellbent are seeing just how far down they're willing to go. Trump isn't the problem. The choices of the American people that led to a choice between the likes of Clinton and Trump are the problem. People lament the candidates but that same people chose the candidates and frankly have created a situation where no one decent nor even sane would want the job of POTUS-- not to mention any other job that needs an election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I actually had a doughnut (okay, it was a cinnamon twist long john, but I digress) and my coffee next to me when I jumped into RSP. I figured it would be entertaining and it is! The wailing and rending of clothes by the liberals, the stunned glee of the conservatives, and the endless whining over .. shit, everything: main stream media, Electoral College, Hitler, goats, gay wedding cakes.

Let's all lighten up a bit. My wife, a Hillary Clinton backer in 2008, was too depressed to stay up with me until 3 a.m. to watch it end. But this morning, she sat smiling at the kitchen table, feeding bits of her bagel to our cat Wilbur and drinking coffee, she admitted she's feeling good and isn't worried. The sun is up, the day looks good, and, well, you'll have to refer to my "My Election Day confession" thread to understand the underlying cause of her satisfaction.

Life goes on. Things are the same as they were yesterday, and despite the insane political rhetoric of the past 19 months, the American Republic has not been tottering on the edge of failure nor will it collapse into totalitarianism in the next 19 months. It's politics, not reality. There's football on TV on the weekend. Good restaurants around the corner. Good friends all over the place. Chill, peace out, mellow -- whatever your chosen phrase is, do it. You live in a country that is the envy of most of the world's population. Stop whining, start living.

By the way, you can't blame me for the next 2-4 years. I voted Kodos, aka the Killery.

Take it easy.

Put me down in the "pre-existing condition, fucked- financial ruin and earlier death" column please.

I did everything I could to prevent it. It's a done deal now. So I move on the best I can. As you say, I can be extra miserable or just be aware I'm toast and enjoy the time I have left.

However, you sound a bit like a jewish person in prewar germany to me saying things aren't so bad. Sometimes, big things really do happen that you need to pay attention to. I think this is going to one of them. Within 4 years, we are likely to see teenage girls and women up to 30 years old dying and going to prison for trying to self abort because they couldn't get birth control pills and they were sexually active.

Over the next 4 years, we'll probably see at least 100,000 americans literally die because of the health care changes. More will be financially ruined. We are going right back to 2007 when over half the country had no insurance.

If Trump goes with his tariff plan, we could see a repeat of the great depression. maybe even the great depression on steroids.

If his tax plan is enacted on top of all this, he's going to run up a 10 to 12 trillion dollar debt in just one term of office (and that's WITH dynamic scoring). And that's just one term- the tax plan won't go away after his term of office.

But hey... don't worry- be happy. Chillax.

Don't overdo it. Don't get consumed by worry. But prepare. Don't be paralyzed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:

All very positive likelihoods, yes....looking forward to them. And don't forget we get to replace Scalia's empty seat now too!

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
collapsing wave wrote:

I like how you non-judgementally put him into one category or the other. That's a perfect example of why the liberals got pasted on Tuesday.

The world's gonna be just fine, and your kids will do just fine in it too. With luck they'll inherit a world with a couple of Martian colonies and a moon colony or three.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
What I was trying to get across is that, for one day, let it go. We all have issues -- I'm on medication for the rest of my life, my daughter is a teacher and they keep cutting her benefits and pay, climate change worries the hell out of me, etc. etc. I'm 57 going on 58 and I can assure you there is always something BIG to worry about, and most of the time there are numerous BIGS to worry about.

You really don't have to worry about climate change. Ignore the doomsayers. They continue to be wrong over and over again about the climate. Everything else has its place. But do not let climate change take up a single ounce of worry.
Seriously, if you and all the other little critters can handle a 20+ degree shift from day to night, and a 80 degree shift throughout the year, I think you can handle a 2 degree shift over 150 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep getting called a liberal or a lefty and I don't lose any sleep over climate change.

Ive got another 30 or so years left on this planet if I'm lucky and I have no kids . Its all the republican \christian deniers * who seem to have the most children so in this case it really will be the sins of the fathers vested down the generations.

* if your stance is it may not be all be caused by man but it is happening and needs action , I dont consider you a denier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
I keep getting called a liberal or a lefty and I don't lose any sleep over climate change.

Ive got another 30 or so years left on this planet if I'm lucky and I have no kids . Its all the republican \christian deniers * who seem to have the most children so in this case it really will be the sins of the fathers vested down the generations.

* if your stance is it may not be all be caused by man but it is happening and needs action , I dont consider you a denier.

Thanks for not thinking about those that believe in climate change AND also have children ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:

The USA didn't overthrow Yanukovych.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

No, but it is rather convenient to pretend it so. You know, while ignoring everything Russia visits upon it's unwilling neighbours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Ideas are bulletproof
badge
I think, therefore I am, I think
mbmbmbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

Like Victoria Nuland admitting how the US has invested $5 billion in the Development of Ukrainian "democratic institutions".

More on these "Democratic institutions" from BBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.