Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many starters/boosters of an army does one need to purchase in order to have whatever he needs to play? I know you can probably get by fine with just one of each, but what do you experienced players recommend?

I was a looonnngggg time Warhammer and 40k player, but with a growing family (3 sons and another on the way), room became an issue, so I retired my Warhammer armies about 2 years ago and haven't played since... but that itch is there needing a scratch - haha... This game looks like it might be a great alternative and I wont have any storage problems.

To start I'll most likely get an army for me and my oldest son (13), are any armies 'easier' to get going with? Or would any army that we seem to like work well?

What would be a good amount of packs to buy of each army to have everything one would need to pretty much do anything, etc.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armies are usually around a dozen cards. Even a starter deck will give you good play. A starter + a reinforcement deck for any given race is probably all you'll need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it...

Is any army easier to play or to learn with than any other? I mean, do any armies have more complex special rules or anything like that, or are you 'good to go' with any?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paragon Games wrote:
How many starters/boosters of an army does one need to purchase in order to have whatever he needs to play? I know you can probably get by fine with just one of each, but what do you experienced players recommend?

We designed Battleground so that you could build almost any army you'd want with one Starter deck and one Reinforcement deck. A Starter deck has 18 units -- over 3,000 points -- and a standard game is 2,000 points, so you can build a decent variety of armies just from a Starter. With a Reinforcement deck as well you have 4-7 copies of every unit in the faction so you can make very large and specialized armies.

Quote:
To start I'll most likely get an army for me and my oldest son (13), are any armies 'easier' to get going with? Or would any army that we seem to like work well?

I think you'll be fine with whatever army(ies) you try. Most people I've taught/sold the game to go with their personal flavor or playstyle preference.

Quote:
What would be a good amount of packs to buy of each army to have everything one would need to pretty much do anything, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, you definitely don't need more than one of each deck, and in fact you can get a LOT of play out of just the Starters. (This definitely isn't designed like a CCG were a "starter" deck doesn't actually give you enough to play a real game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cole
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to tabletop tactical warfare games of any sort, but a few months ago I started with just the Men of Hawkshold and Orc Army starter decks, and that's given me a pretty good feel for the game so far. I have yet to play with reinforcements or with other armies, but I've been having good games and a lot of fun just with those two starter decks.

My inclination, if I were in your shoes, would be to pick a couple of armies that look interesting and experiment with their starter decks to get a sense of how those armies work, then buy the reinforcements later if I decided I wanted more. You'll notice on the Your Move Games website that each reinforcement deck only contains two new unit types that aren't in the starter deck, so you're not picking up a lot of additional variety in that respect; on the other hand, since you're also getting a whole bunch of additional units of the types you already have, you do gain a lot more options for the kinds of armies you can build.

If, for example, you want to put more than two or three cavalry units on the field, or you want to load your line with heavy infantry or hail down arrows like nobody's business, that's where a reinforcement deck would come in handy. On the other hand you may find that having to deploy an army with no more than one to three of any given unit provides you with a worthy challenge--though of course there's no reason you can't voluntarily restrict yourself even if you have the reinforcements.

If all else fails, though, the decks are cheap enough that it probably won't break the bank to buy them all. . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew, I did see that the reinforcement decks didnt add a lot of new units, but I think that the fact they give you the option to do like you said - make a more specialized army - is a nice thing to do... There are a lot of armies and a lot of units so you could play the same army several times and have enough variety to keep it new and fresh and try new things each time.

I already have made plans to purchase all of the armies this week, my son is really looking forward to it (we are taking a trip to visit my folks out in Montana, so we had limited room to pack and as it stands now are only bringing Memoir '44 with us, so this will be a great game for us to take time learning and playing on the trip... when I get back in a few weeks my gaming group has a meeting planned and I'll be showing this off there too.

Thanks!
Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls