Subject: Things you've learned from Catan on XBLA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that all dev cards stay with you. When you play them, you put them face up in front of you, then they just stay there all game.

Not much point in it, but it makes it clear who has been playing what. And yes, once we did run out of dev cards completely (as you did on the game system)!

But I don't have a game system, so I haven't learned anything from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:
We have been returning these to the bottom of the Development card deck, and seeing them cycled through. Imagine my surprise when I ran out of Development cards on Catan.
Wow! We never get more than about a third to half way through the development cards before someone wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize that played soldiers counted for largest army. I had been under the impression that only "hoarded" soldiers counted when they were revealed at the end. The computer showed me the error of my ways.

I guess I just didn't notice the situation when largest army was claimed during the face-to-face games that I've played in the past.

Also, I notice that the computer hoards resource cards. I'm always so afraid of the robber that I'll buy something that I don't necessarily need, just to keep my cards down. The computer risks losing cards to the robber to increase their chance of doing what they want the following turn, and often doing several things at once. I'll have to consider that the rewards may outweigh the risk there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
violentzen wrote:
We have been returning these to the bottom of the Development card deck, and seeing them cycled through. Imagine my surprise when I ran out of Development cards on Catan.
Wow! We never get more than about a third to half way through the development cards before someone wins.
I'm with you Joe, if when playing with Daughter the Elder who tends to buy them like crazy I don't think we have often got far through the deck.

I do remember a four player game once where I had huge amounts of rock and sheep and was built into a corner. My only hope of winning was to buy development cards hoping for Victory Points. I bought a lot of development cards. In fact I do believe after playing a monopoly on wheat I bought somewhere around six at once. We still didn't finish the deck, and I didn't win either. Note to young players there is only a certain number of VP cards in the deck and the total is not very much (read - was not enough for me in that game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only run out of dev cards once. It was pretty amazing. "Wow, we bought them all!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Snider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is really interesting. It makes me wonder how many rules players misinterpret or play incorrectly in other games that are more complicated. Like how many people are playing Puerto Rico or like Die Macher correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel wrote:
Like how many people are playing Puerto Rico or like Die Macher correctly.

I would guess three, and not all in the same game together.

The only thing I discovered is that if you have a road built, someone else can build on it and split it into two (thereby breaking your longest road). Other than that I've played all of the rules correctly.

I'm learning how to deal with three players that simply refuse to trade with you It's fun to try out different strategies and different starting spots that you might otherwise not try in a real game that takes several hours. I've been experimenting a lot and it's been a good time.

Have only played a handful of games online with others because I only want to play with people I know for fear of strangers dropping out of the game. Any word from those who have played online on what the community is like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:
Since I've started playing correctly I haven't run out of dev cards when playing a face-to-face game either.

But when playing on the Xbox 360, one of the AI's tricks is when you are significantly ahead, your AI opponents will devote every effort into buying up dev cards to grab every soldier they can. They then tag team you with the robber until you are coughing up teeth and blood. And even long after they've pummeled you out of first place, they continue to punish you as if you had a 5 point lead.

It's really quite brutal, and very much like face-to-face games in which I want to scream at everyone "I'm not in the lead any more! While you guys have been mindlessly sodomizing me with your little robber friend, [Insert name of furtive, opportunistic friend here] has quietly put up 9 points!"

That sounds just like my last tournament final at Prezcon. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
I didn't realize that played soldiers counted for largest army. I had been under the impression that only "hoarded" soldiers counted when they were revealed at the end. The computer showed me the error of my ways.
As a matter of fact, only the played Soldier cards count towards having the Largest Army. It's not possible to hoard a bunch of unplayed Soldier cards and bring them all out right at the end of the game, because you're allowed to play only one non-VP Development card per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Deliverator wrote:
weasel wrote:
Like how many people are playing Puerto Rico or like Die Macher correctly.

I would guess three, and not all in the same game together.

Deliverator wrote:

Any word from those who have played online on what the community is like?
Lotsa drops, so you frequently end up playing against the computer. Check around here for BGG IDs, I'm hoping some of them will be more reliable opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Crumpler
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The drops happen a lot, but I think it has something to do with the stability of the game also..I have been kicked from at least 2 games near the end of a game just because I lose connection (doesnt happen with other titles)

As for the community, I think its great! Most of the players I run across are older, and dont carry that XBOX stink with em =o)

Things I've learned from XBLA, a RAD combo. Some guy offered 2 wheat for any resource, someone handed him a brick. After the trade he threw down a monopoly card claiming wheat. He got all the wheat on the board AND a brick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
kyogensho wrote:
Some guy offered 2 wheat for any resource,

Aye...be wary of the player with an unplayed development card that isn't interested in what he gets in return for his trade.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XBLA version, Playing the monopoly card, you can see how many of each resource you will get.
In the board version we play it without seeing how many you will get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Deliverator wrote:

Have only played a handful of games online with others because I only want to play with people I know for fear of strangers dropping out of the game. Any word from those who have played online on what the community is like?
I've enjoyed the community quite a bit. Once the gamer score only folks left I haven't seen people drop much except after I play a mean Monopoly card... i.e. taking 13 wood after the 4th round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls