7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Different Shapes and Shade of Purple on Temple Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is obvious to me that the Guild cards and Temple cards from the expansion were meant to be different from the regular Age 3 cards as they each have a different shade of purple on the back and a different building symbol as well as the G at the bottom of the Guild cards and the Pantheon symbol at the bottom of the Temple cards.

Does anyone else think it would have been more interesting to make them have the same background on the back of the card so that you would have no idea when you were going to flip over a Guild or Temple?

We love this game and the conversation just popped up when we noticed what a dark purple the back of the Temple cards are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
One could argue that this add's an additional level of decision making and tension to the climax of the game.
Dark purple cards have potential to be far more effective purchases over many standard age 3 cards. It typically behooves players to strategically deny each other the face down cards. Imagine how lame it would be to hand your opponent the game based solely on a lucky flip. At least this way players have some level of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
andrewkapish wrote:
One could argue that this add's an additional level of decision making and tension to the climax of the game.
Dark purple cards have potential to be far more effective purchases over many standard age 3 cards.

I think the scoring potential compared to other blue or yellow cards is only marginally better if at all. I always see them as a safe bet to not reveal green or read. And I like it the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do know that per the official rules you only play with either one or the other, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Gregaria wrote:
You do know that per the official rules you only play with either one or the other, right?

Overlooked this in the op. He indeed doesn't seem to know this.

Still the design decision to give guilds/temples a different back compared to other age III cards is an interesting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:

LOL, yes actually we do know that you use either the Guild cards or the Temple cards, not both sets in the same game. Sorry I didn't use the best wording in my original postshake

In the few games we have had with the Pantheon expansion we have had some great back and forth battles in trying to snatch or destroy that 3rd Temple card. Obviously if you let your opponent get all 3 that is a nasty 21 point swing, but if you can get just one then it is only a 7 point swing in final scoring.

Has anyone tried using both Guilds and Temples in the same game or would that mess up the balance of the regular Age 3 cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:

Has anyone tried using both Guilds and Temples in the same game or would that mess up the balance of the regular Age 3 cards?

You might be interested in this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1665521/guilds-temples-toge...

There hasn't been a deep analysis of balance issues, but I suspect that there's only minimal effect if you alter setup in the manner suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.