Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is everyone really just shuffling in the new merchants? Seems odd to have those high powered options possibly randomly show up. I would think this could throw the power level of the campaign off a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Picouet
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my set yet, but is it balanced with higher costs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they added only when the heroes reach JM status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
The rules say to just add them to the existing deck. And while they are high-powered-ish, there is a consummate cost. On the Shores deck, the card at the top of the shrink wrap is an orange merchant that is selling a major vit potion at 3, what I think is a new orange item for 13 and a new ability to heal/resurrect a hero for 5.

My group already uses a house rule that tier which items you can keep (progressing up the colors). So buying these new items, if you actually get all that cash together, doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you've worked to get the item retention slot open that high, then as far as I'm concerned, it's a totally valid, not overpowered option. And if you haven't, then it's a one adventure boost that you elected to get over other utilities (like the vit potion or the heal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xavarir wrote:
Are they added only when the heroes reach JM status?

No, it just says to straight up add them. Getting lucky and buying an orange item (as opposed to the work involved in manipulating the bag) is a bit offputting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I was kind of concerned about this as well. But Myth is a customizable game at heart, so there is no reason you are required to shuffle the oranges into the merchant deck. In fact, you could even use a Treasure Bag pull to see what level Merchant Deck you draw from. This way they merchant level chance matches your item level chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is worse? Doing a whole module so one person on your team of 5 gets a cool item? Or a rando good item obtained after a meaningless filler battle?

What about hitting a merchant at low level and having not enough to buy it?

I think it all averages out, but if you want to modify your merchant deck? You can do whatever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the quest cards? Same thing for them? I haven't looked them over much yet, but I can only guess that they use the monsters from the Journeyman set and are probably more difficult. I suppose you could just shuffle them into your quest deck and see how it works out, but you could also just introduce them to the quest deck when you reach journeyman level...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are themed for the specific expansion. Because of this, I'm keeping them separate and will just use them if I'm free-questing on the particular expansion tiles for more flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doyle
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mb
I suppose it's also worth noting the typo in the text on all these merchants:
Quote:
This may be performed as may time as the heroes have the required gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cdoyle wrote:
Quote:

Really???

My copy is still comfortably in shrink so I haven't seen this. Pretty disappointing considering all the revisions the cards have gone through over the years. Yeah this is a minor annoyance, yet something that is simple to catch and should never reach production. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
cdoyle wrote:
Quote:

It's not quite this bad as only the bolded word has the problem. "May" was miscopied; it's actually "many" on the cards. And for what it's worth, the orange merchant doesn't have this phrase.

Mistermannindy wrote:
cdoyle wrote:
Quote:

Really???

My copy is still comfortably in shrink so I haven't seen this. Pretty disappointing considering all the revisions the cards have gone through over the years. Yeah this is a minor annoyance, yet something that is simple to catch and should never reach production. shake

Aim gong too go over the rules buck width a fined tooted come to disc over a miss take an isle ooze a spell chucker.

Also, these merchant cards have new abilities on them - that's where this error lies. It's not like the original merchants had grammar to worry about.

Having said all that, yeah, disappointing to see that when I think we got to review all the hero cards. At least this is a seriously minor issue with basically no way to interpret it incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
Having said all that, yeah, disappointing to see that when I think we got to review all the hero cards. At least this is a seriously minor issue with basically no way to interpret it incorrectly.

Agreed.

Also, thanks for clearing things up (above).

rpvt wrote:
Aim gong too go over the rules buck width a fined tooted come to disc over a miss take an isle ooze a spell chucker.

LMAO! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.