Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello -
I have been following this one for a while now, trying to convinnce myself to jump on the p500, but I'm not quite there yet shake.

Would someone be willing to post an overview of the game, some of the basic mechanics, game flow, anything that would help us understand more than just the theme and goal(s)? So that we that have no experience with the original game could understand a little more about how the game is played and convince our gaming wives to let us preorder it?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a page at least listing the player options in the first version:
http://www.spotlightongames.com/summary/blackbeard.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, it did help get an understanding on how the feel of the game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phaedrus wrote:
Thanks for the info, it did help get an understanding on how the feel of the game is.

From what Richard Berg has stated, the new version is a completely different animal than the old version.

The entry on the GMT P500 list hasn't changed much over the past several months or so, so I'm not sure where things stand on the release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an entirly different game. When playing it with Richard, back in Feb., he kept having to remind me, "Forget the other game...." because I kept saying, "but it used to..."

It is a fun game. It played in about 3 hours both times it was played at BROGfest. It is a type of card-driven game as you use the Actions or Initiative points on the cards to accomplish your moves. Many of the cards are "Reaction" cards to play on your opponents to hinder them.

Neil Randall, the developer, is honing the solo game before turning it over to GMT for production. I believe the multi-player is ready to go. I also believe (and this is just my opinion) that GMT will "fast track" it to top of the queue once Neil turns it over to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
"The entry on the GMT P500 list hasn't changed much over the past several months or so, so I'm not sure where things stand on the release."

Actually, in the last three "latest P500 listings", BLACKBEARD has shown the greatest numerical increase.

And, as noted, the new BLACKBEARD is quite different from the old one . . . and very different from all thge other pirate games floating about.

Doesn't the BLACKBEARD folder hereabouts contain several forums with After-Action reports and play descriptions?

Same with The Beard's folder over in Consimword.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Richard and Todd. I'll have to dig into the session reports and try to figure out the consim world--bit confusing, though I've only taken a mommment or to look over the site.
I'm pretty sure the wife is going to jump on the p500 preorder this weekend as a father's day gift.

-very excited to give this one a try--I'm really starting to like Richard/Neil Designner/Developer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
I'm really starting to like Richard/Neil Designner/Developer games.

That's because we're cute together ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I wouldn't want that sort of blurb to get around . . .

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan schnake
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
That's too much dough unless it's murder. And if it's murder, it's not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks cool. I had the old AH Blackbeard, and it was kind of a "random hell" sort of game... realistic in it's own way. It was perfectly possible for all players to meet a grim end. Nice little bios of famous pirates, too.

I'm glad it's getting an completely new vision, but I do hope it preserves the AH games chance to provide awesome pirate deeds that felt like gritty pirate fantasy. Pirate's Cove is okay, but it just doesn't swash any buckles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It was perfectly possible for all players to meet a grim end. Nice little bios of famous pirates, too."

Both will be in the new BLACKBEARD, but in a system that provides far far more player interaction.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls