Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nisaba rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Tullis
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am trying to understand the Nisaba divinity card. Once I acquire Nisaba, I can place the snake token on an opponent's green card. This seems less than useful. Some questions:

1. If my opponent has no green cards, then I assume Nisaba is completely worthless, right

2. If my opponent does have a green card and I place the snake token on it, I guess the best case is that I have (or acquire later), the other green card, then I would get a green progress token - right? I guess this is a best case scenario and would make the Nisaba card become worthwhile.

3. If my opponent has a set of two green cards and I place the snake token on one of them, then that token would only count as one of the 6 tokens needed for Scientific supremacy.

I have played several times and never seen anyone come close to scientific supremacy for the victory. So if I am correct in my understanding of the 3 items listed above, the only one of any value is number 2. Seems like a very weak card - but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks for your help/opinions,

Scott
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. A lot of my games come really close to a scientific victory, with maybe 1 in 4 ending through scientific supremacy and 60% where the threat of a scientific win affects choices in the third age. And I can only see this figure rise with the expansion.

Nisaba can either be very useful as a threat for 3/, or as an instant technology bonus. It's definitely situational, but I see a potential for it to be very powerful. Especially if you also have halikarnassos to build stuff from the discard, you can really constrain your opponent's choices when dealing with green cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
You are right in generel terms, but best case scenario is 3) leading to a green victory. It doesn't seem that uncommon like in your games, especially not with Pantheon when the probability for 7 different symbols being available is higher than in the base game. Probably some specifics/group think in your games.

Btw, I find case 1) as a counter interesting - as I wrote in an earlier post - but you have to be very alert when you don't build green at all and wonder build some cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Tullis
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Does the snake have to be used immediately (at the same time the Nisaba card is acquired) or can it be saved to use at a later point when it might be more useful? It doesn't state in the rules so I would assume it must be used immediately.

Yes, I have played several times (without the Pantheon expansion) and no one has tried the Scientific supremacy strategy. It seems very difficult since it requires one player to get almost all the green cards. It seems like it would be easy to stop if you notice your opponent gathering green cards.

In my plays, the green cards are the ones that often get discarded to get money. I thought the scientific supremacy strategy would be very difficult to achieve.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
There are not only green cards, but two law symbols via other sources. You will need less than 50% on average of the available symbols for a green victory.

Also discarded cards (symbols) are not out of the game. There is one more possibility now besides the mausoleum to activate cards from discard pile (Hades). And you can even interact with the three cards that were not dealt out using the Statue of liberty promo wonder. This and Enki/Ishtar/Nisaba make green much more threatening.

The rules on Nisaba could indeed be more clear as Baal and Enki use "sofort (immediately)" in the german rules. But I assume you have to do it immediately. It would be still nice to hear Bruno's/Antoine's account on this as you can use masks in 7 wonders city at the end of the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of plays, if anything, me and my wife seem to have found that the chance of scientific victory is markedly greater with Pantheon.
Could be due to a small sample and/or 'groupthink' though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex dhs
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Califax wrote:

The rules on Nisaba could indeed be more clear as Baal and Enki use "sofort (immediately)" in the german rules. But I assume you have to do it immediately. It would be still nice to hear Bruno's/Antoine's account on this as you can use masks in 7 wonders city at the end of the game.


The french rulebook says you must use the snake token immediately when you get it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reloadead wrote:
Califax wrote:

The rules on Nisaba could indeed be more clear as Baal and Enki use "sofort (immediately)" in the german rules. But I assume you have to do it immediately. It would be still nice to hear Bruno's/Antoine's account on this as you can use masks in 7 wonders city at the end of the game.


The french rulebook says you must use the snake token immediately when you get it.


I confirm. You have to use it immediately
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Thx Bruno and Alex. This got lost in translation for english and german rules. I've also checked Baal and Enki in the english rules: They don't use "immediately" in the english rules, but do so in german. Maybe, it's not that critical in this case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:
This came up in a game I played today:

Suppose A had invoked Ishtar (and gained her Law symbol). If B were to invoke Nisaba, could the snake token copy Ishtar's symbol? I want to say no, as the rules say to place the token on a green card, and technically Ishtar is not a green card, but a deity.

Can anyone confirm this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While not a confirmation I agree with your analysis that the snake cannot copy isthar. Rules clearly state place it on a green card. If there's no green card then the snake does nothing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight87 wrote:
This came up in a game I played today:

Suppose A had invoked Ishtar (and gained her Law symbol). If B were to invoke Nisaba, could the snake token copy Ishtar's symbol? I want to say no, as the rules say to place the token on a green card, and technically Ishtar is not a green card, but a deity.

Can anyone confirm this?


I confirm !
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredric Gertsen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
midnight87 wrote:
This came up in a game I played today:

Suppose A had invoked Ishtar (and gained her Law symbol). If B were to invoke Nisaba, could the snake token copy Ishtar's symbol? I want to say no, as the rules say to place the token on a green card, and technically Ishtar is not a green card, but a deity.

Can anyone confirm this?


I confirm !


Hi Bruno,

Another question about Nisaba; Does taking the science sign with Nisaba also means my opponent loses the sign?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FredricG wrote:
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
midnight87 wrote:
This came up in a game I played today:

Suppose A had invoked Ishtar (and gained her Law symbol). If B were to invoke Nisaba, could the snake token copy Ishtar's symbol? I want to say no, as the rules say to place the token on a green card, and technically Ishtar is not a green card, but a deity.

Can anyone confirm this?


I confirm !


Hi Bruno,

Another question about Nisaba; Does taking the science sign with Nisaba also means my opponent loses the sign?

Thanks!


No ! Now, both of you get that sign
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredric Gertsen
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
FredricG wrote:
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
midnight87 wrote:
This came up in a game I played today:

Suppose A had invoked Ishtar (and gained her Law symbol). If B were to invoke Nisaba, could the snake token copy Ishtar's symbol? I want to say no, as the rules say to place the token on a green card, and technically Ishtar is not a green card, but a deity.

Can anyone confirm this?


I confirm !


Hi Bruno,

Another question about Nisaba; Does taking the science sign with Nisaba also means my opponent loses the sign?

Thanks!


No ! Now, both of you get that sign


Perfect, thanks for the quick reply!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.