Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario: S1 Retaking Vierville

Turn 1/German
Coming towards Vierville from the east, our squads noticed a group of US Paratroopers on the main street of the town. Advancing through the cover of the buildings and woods (L7, K8, I8), our lead unit was spotted and came under fire of little effect. We returned fire unsuccessfully, as our fellow squad-members advanced through the woods (I8->J8).

Turn 1/American
No idea where those d***ed Germans had come from! They caught us napping on the high street of this p***squeak town. I gave orders to our men, and we scattered for the safety of the buildings on either side of the street (K8, M6, M4, M5). We weren't going to let the Germans take back this town and cut our supply line! Meanwhile, our reinforcements were coming down from the north, keeping out of harm's way, and taking defensive positions in the outlying buildings to keep us covered. Some arms fire, but it mainly just did superficial damage to the buildings.

Turn 2/German
Members of the Fallschirmjaeger Regiment came up to reinforce us from the east, taking a more southerly route than us to take advantage of the woods, and come up from the southern edge of town. One of our units (J7) got pinned under enemy fire, but no casualties taken. For the Fatherland!

Turn 2/American
More reinforcements arrived from the north, and started making their way towards the west side of the village. Soon we had the entire side of this village occupied (M6-Q6), and we were in a strong defensive position.

Turn 3/German
More reinforcements took the western side of the village (I2-K2), and our forces in the east attempted to shoot the Americans out of their defensive positions, again with little effect. Surely some of the many bullets expended should be giving them some discomfort, but no, the stalemate continued.

Turn 3/American
The last of our reinforcements entered, with sporadic fire from the German positions not hampering their approach. Using cover from the buildings, some of our men ran across to the other key point in the village (L3/M4) taking only light casualties in the process, and shielded from the German force in the western-most houses (I2-K2).

Turn 4/German
Things were getting desperate! We ordered a general rush, under the cover of smoke grenades, from both sides at once. The western advance was more successful, reaching J3; the eastern advance saw many of my friends die, cut down by the accursed American bullets

Turn 4/American
The Germans were obviously getting desperate. We moved up our troops in the eastern complex to better repel the attacks, and cut down the German forces that had become pinned in the street and the nearby orchard as they had attempted to storm our position. I also sent more men to reinforce L3-M4, whilst the Germans were distracted by their push.

Turn 5/German
We had no choice. Using more smoke grenades, we advanced into the street. Many of us died, but we were able to assault M6 successfully, and soon were in close combat with the Americans; my friends did the same across the street in L3. We caught the Americans napping! Their entire force in M6 was eliminated. My friends were not so successful, but the melee raged across the street.

Turn 5/American
Blast it! Our forces in the buildings consolidated and stormed the German forces in M6 and L3. We were successful in repulsing the Germans in L3, but it was a disaster in M6 - they mowed us down. We couldn't hold the point, and only a few soldiers survived! What now for the road convoy?

Merric's Notes:
Well, I completed the scenario. I'm just not quite sure who won. The scenario says "The Americans win at game end if there are no Good Order German units in buildings N3, N6, M4, and L3". By end of the scenario, only M6 had fallen, but is that enough? If only one was enough to win, surely it'd say "or"? I guess this counts as a win to the Americans.

The game was one of many, many missed attacks. Incredibly so: I kept rolling 9+ on the dice, which, when combined with the TEM for stone buildings, meant a lot of rolling for no result.

The end of the game, on the other hand, saw the American forces roll 10+ on their CC rolls, but the Germans roll 3 when at very bad odds (3-1) and thus eliminate the American force in M6. Twice. Weird.

I think I'm getting the hang of the SK rules, although I need a few more games to be sure. The squads were rarely in stacks, and I often used the tactic of moving the frontmost unit first, and allowing the rest of the units to move around behind it without fear of more defensive fire.

I'll give this scenario another go, and then move on to S2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you played this and Arkham Horror

2 thumbs up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Deller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merric,

The Americans won. The ASL system (including ASLSKs) is very deliberate in its use of "and" and "or" (as well as "/" which means both "and" and "or"). Don't try to read more into it.

Quote:
The squads were rarely in stacks, and I often used the tactic of moving the frontmost unit first, and allowing the rest of the units to move around behind it without fear of more defensive fire.

You are a quick study. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean,

Thanks muchly for the clarification.

Knowing that, I'll see what different tactics they can try the next time through.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean4 wrote:
The Americans won.

Isn't this a contradiction? You say the Americans win if they empty a single building, then you say AND means AND.

"The Americans win at game end if there are no Good Order German units in buildings N3, N6, M4, and L3."

This sentence literally means all 4 buildings have to be cleared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
"The Americans win at game end if there are no Good Order German units in buildings N3, N6, M4, and L3."

This sentence literally means all 4 buildings have to be cleared.

That's how I understand it, too. If the sentence read, "The Americans win at game end if there are not Good Order German units in buildings N3, N6, M4, and L3," then the Americans would need to only hold one building, and the Germans all four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daniels
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
That is correct. All four buildings must be devoid of Good-Order German units at the end of the game for the Americans to win.

Note that a unit in Melee is not in Good Order, so the American doesn't necessarily have to force the Germans out of a VC building to satisfy the victory condition. Just getting someone in there and then surviving that last round of CC at the end of turn 5 is good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls