Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the Deluxe Ed. as a gift today so a bud (D) came over to try it out. We played 4 games and D took them 3 games to 1. The one win I did get was rather sad but D showed integrity and I wanted to go over that game here. It was late in the game when I made a run with Frodo for Mordor. He had 4 units left - most importantly was the Cave Troll while I had 3 (Gandalf, Aragorn and Frodo). He had his troll in Mordor, patiently awaiting my arrival. Since I was pushing to try and take him down with Gandalf, I left the Shire empty so he was bringing the rest of his forces to the little hamlet with no resistance whatsoever. I realized Gandalf was my only shot but a slim one at that. I proceeded to enter Mordor. He countered with the Troll. I had 2 cards left (5 and 2). The best I could do was add my 5-card which got me to 10 damage. He countered with 2 and I thought I lost as there was no way Aragorn or Frodo could handle the Cave Troll w/o serious text card support.

As I vented on losing the match, D suddenly paused and said "Wait...the Cave Troll doesn't use any cards...". Oh yeah.

I should have picked up on it but in the frenzy of the moment and still learning the game (and losing the previous 3 games), I had accepted the loss a bit too readily. After the troll went down, I moved Frodo into Mordor in time to grab the victory.

Kudos to D for being honest and doing something I need to do better: read the cards!

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First session experience with a does of integrity
Yes the Sauron player's card is entirely ignored for the cave troll.

Also Frodo can walk into Mordor with somebody still in there and win. Once he steps into Mordor the game ends, there is no battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls