Magecraft» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about setup order and discarding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I recently stumbled upon this game in a shop in Hong Kong and was charmed by the cover art. Turns out I found myself a true gem of a game right there!

Still I have a few questions.
First I'd like confirmation about the exact setup sequence. The way I understood it (also from posts on the forum):

-Prepare the academy
-Player 1 picks his character sheet, HP gems and bag gems
-Player 2 picks his character sheet, HP gems and bag gems
-Both players draw 4 gems secretly
-Player 1 secretly picks 2 gems to discard (e.g. by holding it in a closed hand)
-Player 2 secretly picks 1 gem to discard
-Player 1's turn starts

The main question here is: Will player 2 reveal which gem he discarded before player 1 starts his turn or will he keep that a secret until it's his first turn? Guess it's a minor difference but I'm a huge fan of playing exactly according to the rules

Second question is about discarding.
Obviously I discard gems at the start of the first turn, in the first phase of each turn (from shield, optionally), from my hand at the end of my turn and also from cast spells at the end of a turn and from my shield when it gets attacked.
Now the thing is with Cantrip cost. Is that placed on cantrip like with spells and discarded at the end or is it discared immediately?
Second thing: Mastered spells. It says in the rules that if it does not fit the casting cost of the next spell, it should be discarded but I find that kind of odd and out of line with the rest of the rules by which gems reside on the spellcards until the end of my turn. Also, what happens to the golden gem if I don't even want to cast the next spell?
Some may feel that this discarding order is a minor issue really but if I can draw during my turn because of the Draw action and I have to reset my bag, then it does very well matter what gems I have in my discard pile and which are still residing on spells.

Would be cool if somebody knows the exact answer to these very specific questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chan Pak Hei
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: No.
Q2: Now the thing is with Cantrip cost. Is that placed on cantrip like with spells and discarded at the end or is it discared immediately? It is like spell.
Second thing: Mastered spells. It says in the rules that if it does not fit the casting cost of the next spell, it should be discarded but I find that kind of odd and out of line with the rest of the rules by which gems reside on the spellcards until the end of my turn. Also, what happens to the golden gem if I don't even want to cast the next spell? That gem stay on the mastered card.

Answer from Creator
Hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.