4 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Tabletop Simulator Tournament Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Dara
msg tools
mb
There is currently an ongoing Tabletop Simulator tournament I have joined in which I finished my first game with a very pleasant opponent (who also had a similar interest in friendly banter) Jozrael. First of all, thanks for the game and teaching me the system.

I'm not very good at writing bat reps and my memory is not to be envied, but I will give it my all!

Starting Planets
Rebel Loyal - Mon Calamari, Kashyyyk, Ryloth
Empire Subjugated - Mandalore, Sullust
Empire Loyal - Correlia, Mygeeto and Saleucami

Deployment was likely my hardest decision in the game and I wanted to focus on tactics I've never really used before. The Empire deployed HARD in Saleucami (Death Star, Carrier and 4 Ties), Mandalore (Star Destroyer, 2 Carriers and 4 Ties), and Sullust (2 Star Destroyers, 4 Ties). Ground Forces on those planets didn't skimp either. I decided to play it safe and Deploy en mass in resource rich Geonosis (All Space Units and 4 Troopers). I selected Ryloth as my base for it's tactical advantage with only Geonosis to supply an offensive force as well as it's distance from Imperial systems.

First turn I used Mon Mothma to create a 'Temporary Alliance' with the Geonosian council, thinking their shield generator technology would prove invaluable latter in the game. Following up with this I used Mothma's diplomatic pupil, Leia, to strengthen our position further by 'Building an Alliance' with the Geonosian people. The Empire flexed it's strength by subjugating Mon Calamari, as well as moving in force (both Star Destroyers, 3 Tie Fighters and 3 AT-STs) to Naboo. Which was fine by me as I planned on adding Mustafar to my list of approved rebel vendors.

Moving onto the second turn I knew I had to deal with the great threat of 2 Star Destroyers in Naboo so my recruitment choice was Wedge Antilles with 'One in a Million' (passing up Luke Skywalker, despite drawing 'Seek Yoda' that turn). My opening move was a daring assault of Naboo's space region (Corvette, 2 X-Wings and 3 Y-Wings versus 2 Star Destroyers and 3 Tie Fighters). Admiral Piett, however, was 'Ready for Action'. Dice flying all over the table in a flurry of imaginary proton torpedoes and unfortunately Correlian Corvette and Y-Wing shrapnel. I was aiming for a swift picture of a successful 'Rebel Assault' to post on the Rebel Alliance's Instagram, but the dice Gods wouldn't have it. So we moved onto the second round of combat, despite the Rebel's having only 2 X-Wings and the Imperials having a Star Destroyer with 3 damage on it. Wedge Antilles made a 'One in a Million' X-Wing Bombing run that downed the beast (which then entered orbit and crushed Theed Palace). There were no Rebel survivors... Tagge then went ahead and continued the Imperial force's progress towards Ryloth by attacking Geonosis with 1 Star Destroyer and 3 AT-STs. In other sections of the galaxy; Princess Leia 'Built an Alliance' in Mustafar, Tarkin proved his worth as a 'Brilliant Administrator' in Correlia, The Emperor moved his precious Death Star to Toydaria and Vader captured Rieekan in Mandalore although Dodanna followed up with a rapid preliminary 'Daring Rescue'.

Entering round three was an interesting recruitment selection for me, as I got the option for Luke Skywalker again with 'Son of Skywalker' or Han Solo with 'An Old Friend' (one of the best cards IMO). I went ahead and selected Luke as I can't oppose the forces will, and trust me, it was the force's will. The Emperor sent a new agent of Evil (Soontir Fel) on a blockading mission to Mustafar. Wedge then led a 'Hit and Hun' operation in Geonosis, destroying an AT-ST. However that was just to add a little Pow to my Ka-Pow which was instigating a Public Uprising in the system. Wedge led a Corvette and 2 Y-Wings in the Rebellion's most successful campaign yet (with no casualties). In other news; Luke Skywalker became a Jedi (snatching a 'Daring Rescue' card in the process), Leia successfully 'Incited a Rebellion' in Naboo, Dodanna built an Alliance in Bespin (which was successfully opposed by The Emperor), and Tarkin moved his precious Death Star to Bothawui.

Time to enter the 4th round, recruitment decision was Lando with 'Independent Operation' and for recruitment I now had several fighters in the base and decided to keep the Shield Generators in the que (in case I move the base later). The empire built a Star Destroyer in Sullust and more Tie Fighters to support the Death Star in Bothawui. Yaluren was the new menace to the galaxy and he had heard 'Local Rumors' that the base was within signal distance of Geonosis (rumors which were, of course, true). Luke led covert operations in Naboo (as the Empire left a Tie Fighter there) and we now had the Death Star Plans. Vader froze the diplomatic figure, Mothma. General Rieekan sabotaged Sullust, which went unopposed as Tagge was moving his Star Destroyer, AT-ST and 2 Stormtroopers to Naboo. Despite Luke's presence, Naboo was once again subjugated with no casualties on the Empire's side. Lando then led 2 Y-Wings and the Corvette from Sullust to Naboo to destroy the Star Destroyer, which again despite Luke's presence was able to escape to Rodia. These shortcomings ended up being acceptable as Leia then 'Incited a Second Rebellion' in Naboo and with Luke's help successfully freed the residents of Naboo. This humiliating second defeat of The Emperor's own home planet proved to be a 'Crippling Blow' to the Empire. At the end of this round Dodanna attempted to free Mothma but instead was himself captured by Piett.

Fifth round and final recruitment, the only option available was Chewbacca and his 'Millennium Falcon'. The Empire deployed his new Star Destroyer that Tarkin personally oversaw in Geonosis as well as another Tie Fighter in Bothawui, to protect the Death Star. Lando, leading his own 'Independent Operation' cleared Geonosis of Imperial troops. Mothma and Dodanna now were being held in a Star Destroyer. To free my fellow leaders Wedge led an attack with the Corvette and 3 Y-Wings from Naboo and the Base. The attack was a success though it cost the Rebellion a Corvette and a Y-Wing, but both leaders were sent to the Rebel Base. Admiral Piett moved a Star Destroyer, an AT-AT and 2 AT-STs from Rodia as well as the Death Star, 6 Tie Fighters and another AT-AT to Tatooine (which he thought might have been the base). I moved Luke to Coruscant to 'Infiltrate' their offices, hoping they'd oppose and freeze up their fleet there (as Leia and Dodanna 'Established Trade Relations in Cato Neimoidia, since the nearest fleet was 2 spaces away). However, Luke did not notice Boba Fett was hot on pursuit. The bounty hunter captured the jedi, despite his training (it was close) and was lead to his father. Vader then attempted to 'Retrieve the Plans' from his son and was unfortunately successful, the Rebels no longer had the plans to the Death Star (which was looming just outside of Ryloth space).

Turn 6 unfortunately went very quickly. The Empire showed me they had the 'Superlaser Online' project card and there was nothing I could do. cry

Of course Jozrael then allowed me to flip the table in Tabletop Simulator fashion

It was a great game and I had a great time! Though I do think if I hadn't made the mistake of sending Luke into enemy space things would have worked out differently. In addition to this I should have kept Chewbacca in the pool to protect myself in such a critical point of the game ('Retrieve the Plans' was not even a though in my mind at the time).

Theory-crafting time... If I did attack the Death Star and destroyed it as well as the Star Destroyer, that would have stranded his big attacking force on Tatooine. In this case he'd have to rebuild ships that could transport his forces, get them to Tatooine then attack Ryloth (which would have had 4 Speeders, 2 Shield Generators and 4 Rebel Troopers on turn 6 if I didn't loose the Death Star Plans). If I didn't destroy the Star Destroyer/Death Star it would have still been a great battle in Ryloth, of which I think I'd have had the advantage. If my base wasn't destroyed that turn the game would have gone on for many turns in my opinion, turns in which case I might have been able to grab many objectives. I know I lost, but it's fun to think about whether or not my decisions and tactics were worth attempting again in the future. Hope you enjoyed reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Roselius
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for the wonderful match - getting into character was the most fun I've had playing this game! I wish my memory was half as good as yours - reading your side of the story was excellent! I didn't realize how closely I had come to stranding all of my units on Tattooine, that would have been devastating. The rolls culminating in Retrieve the Plans were thus truly game deciding.

Highly recommend Steve as a fantastic opponent, would play again, perfect 5/7 ^^.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jozrael wrote:
Thank you for the wonderful match - getting into character was the most fun I've had playing this game! I wish my memory was half as good as yours - reading your side of the story was excellent! I didn't realize how closely I had come to stranding all of my units on Tattooine, that would have been devastating. The rolls culminating in Retrieve the Plans were thus truly game deciding.

Highly recommend Steve as a fantastic opponent, would play again, perfect 5/7 ^^.

Sounds like a great matchup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ke Zhang
Netherlands
flag msg tools
new user
I just noticed you got matched up with Joz again in the loser bracket, I'm expecting an evenly exciting write up this time as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.