Subject: Book Token limitations and Visting the Library rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
We played a game with the King's Golem expansion last night and the Visit Library space was very popular.

We all used our books immediately, but we held onto the tokens because the Mahogany Bookcase was going to be coming out near the end. As a result, we ran out of book tokens fairly quickly.

I have a few questions for this situation:

1. If there are no more book tokens available, can the Visit Library space still be used for deduction purposes?
2. If the Mahogany Bookcase is not an available artifact, is there any reason to hold onto the book tokens?
3. If the answer to question 2 is "no," does that change the answer to question one? (basically would the books be returned to the library, and not create the supply shortage?)

Thanks!
Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also suggest: are the book counters intended to be limited, or can you use something else to track if you run out?

For #1, I don't see why not (and I think I would just proxy the counters if they ran short). I rarely have an issue with players taking an action at full cost and not getting the full benefit.
For #2 I can't think of any reason to hang onto them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for replying!

I meant to specifically ask if the book counters are limited, but I guess I missed the direction question.

One reason I could see them being limited is for flavor. Essentially the library is out of books (since people have kept them), so you can't go learn anything new.

That could explain why there are only 12 or so books. Then again, it could just be that's the number that would fit on the punch board.

I was hoping for some official clarification is possible, or a consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that you have to pay for visiting the library?
How did you get those 12 "King's favor" tokens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:

Was thinking about the same thing, but if you add all possibilities together, there are quite a few options to get books/favor tokens:

2 books in starting cards.
artifact that give the benefit of a starting card again.
2 x 2 books from turn order cards.
4 helper cards that count as a favor token.
up to 12 favor tokens in a 4 player game.

As such, it isn't impossible to get more than 12 books needed. Not sure if it is still the best choice, but if the components are limited, it is preferable that the rule-book mentions what needs to happen if the pool is exhausted. Even if this would mean not optimal play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
pabula wrote:

As Kris said, between startup cards, favor cards, golem testing, and turn order choosing, we had no issues getting approval tokens or books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matúš Kotry
Slovakia
--
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The book tokens were not intended to limit players in getting information from books. We believed that 12 will be enough for like 99% of games. So if you run out of them, you should somehow "improvise" to keep track.

The Mahogany Bookcase artifact is not the only reason to keep track of how many books you have read. It is also helpful to remind your opponents that you have some extra knowledge besides the knowledge from testing. So it is the same reason you place +/- tokens to your player board.

However if everyone has lot of book tokens it is probably not necessary to keep track anymore (knowing that all your opponents simply have lot of information from books is sufficient). Unless there is the Mahogany Bookcase in game... Just keep in mind that it does not necessarily have to be in the artifact offer, one of the players may have also taken it using the startup card that gives you a secret level III artifact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
Thank you so much! I'll let my group know. Really enjoyed the expansion. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.