Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

What strategies do you guys use when playing this game? Just curious. I tend to hug the edge of the board in the beginning of the game myself. It makes it a little easier to locate the treasure because there will likely only be 2 spaces the treasure can be if you are against the edge.
I was also wondering, does the dragon detect you if you are 3 spaces away diagonally as well as orthogonally? I think it's only orthogonally but I'm not sure.

-Legend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
im pretty sure its diagonally as well.

I usually start the game in the upper left or right corner, and just try my best to sweep horizontally across each row, while trying every direction of every square as i go, ensuring i find all the walls that i can.

i find that if my home area is completely mapped out, i can run around much more safetly when the dragon wakes..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coleco Adam
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I just submitted a strategy guide that will allow you to win the game most times (if not every time) -- if you follow it very carefully. The file should be posted on the main page in a few days. With this strategy guide, I think you'll find the game is actually FUN!

I think Mattel did a really poor job on the manual, giving you no basic hints or strategies with which to get you going. You're pretty much left on your own -- making the game insanely difficult. I would hazzard to guess that 99% of the kids that received this as a Christmas gift in 1980 probably never beat the game even once!!!

For me, I wanted this game so badly when I was a kid, but never got it. I finally bought one off eBay recently. Now that I've worked out a strategy, I can win the game quite often -- providing I don't make a mistake along the way....

I'm finding I really love early 80's electronic games. Anyone who likes this game should definitely check out "Code Name: Sector" and "Electronic Detective", both of which I highly recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saved my Christmas and birthday money so I could order this thing. A friend had gotten it for Christmas and I played it at his house over and over again - I was just enthralled with it!
Must have cost $40 or $45 back in 1980, which was no small amount of dough. Especially for a 9 year-old.

And yeah, the manual makes the game seem complicated - which it absolutely is not. Once you figure out how the dragon moves, you will rarely lose. I still love this thing and haul it out once in a while myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.