BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My Take on Amerithrash vs Euro rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dead_horse_rides_again [+] ATvsEuro [+] [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I have read different articles and posts discussing the meanings of both. It can be confusing and when trying to decide whether if a game is Amerithrash or Euro you just scratch your head in confusion. So here's my take on the two categories for board gaming.

When it comes to categorizing a game whether is Amerithrash or Euro, you have to take into account on the designer/publisher, meaning what was his/her/their intentions or the history and development of the game. You can't just judge a book by its cover and know the whole story and come to a conclusion b/c everyone else says it sucks or is a good novel. You need to get into the their heads or minds on how this game was developed. Everyone has a favorite designer/s or publisher/s. Do your research first before coming to a conclusion.

As very well explained here in BGG, what differentiates a game being a Euro vs Amerithrash is the way the game was designed. If it was designed by mechanics first it's considered Euro. The designer had a vision an idea on how the mechanics of the game is going to work, making sure the mechanics the rules and the components work and fits together to make a great game. Theme probably doesn't even come to mind or is of no importance. Think about it, if the mechanics of the game is all there and well thought of, you can put any theme on it even it doesn't fit or makes any sense. It's what's in side the box that sells, not the theme. These games are well thought of and lot's of hard work has been put into it to make the perfect masterpiece.

Amerithrash on the other hand, designers/publishers start with theme first, their vision rely's on how can I make a game that people will like. That's why i believe that MOST games that are backed up by large publishers like hasbro, paker brothers, even zman games, cool minis or not etc are considered to me as amerithrash games to a certain extent. They want volume, sales, the fastest way to make money. How do they do this by using a theme. The stronger the theme the more it will appeal to people, the more they will sell. Once they figure that out, they can use any game mechanics they want, who cares if it doesn't make sense as long as the game looks pretty.

That's my take on Amerithrash vs Euro
Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this pretty much agrees with the 12,000 other posts that say the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It can be confusing and when trying to decide whether if a game is Amerithrash or Euro you just scratch your head in confusion.

There is never a legitimate reason to do this, though, outside of the academic conversations here on BGG or drunk at the pub.

I describe games to people through a combination of theme and mechanics. The terms of "Euro" or "Ameritrash" are useless outside of cynical marketing or for thumbs here on BGG.

If you are scratching your head in confusion, I would suggest you stop worrying about something as trivial as this and just play the darn game.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How I determine if a game is Ameritrash or Euro:

Does it have wooden pieces?
Yes - it's a Euro
No - it's Ameritrash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rathmax wrote:
That's why i believe that MOST games that are backed up by large publishers like hasbro, paker brothers, even zman games, cool minis or not etc are considered to me as amerithrash games to a certain extent. They want volume, sales, the fastest way to make money.

Meanwhile, Rio Grande, Queen, Mayfair, Lookout, Ravensburger, Hans Im Gluck, et al are content to just watch their profits swirl down the drain in the name of eurocentric purity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I think this pretty much agrees with the 12,000 other posts that say the same thing.

No, those are talking about Ameritrash. This guy is talking about Amerithrash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Welcome to the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard for me to take anything you say seriously when you use the word "Amerithrash".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly...its AmeriTRASH. (Probably more applicable now than ever )

Quote:
As very well explained here in BGG, what differentiates a game being a Euro vs Amerithrash is the way the game was designed. If it was designed by mechanics first it's considered Euro.

Not necessarily.

Quote:
The designer had a vision an idea on how the mechanics of the game is going to work, making sure the mechanics the rules and the components work and fits together to make a great game.

Not all Euro's are great..or even good.

Quote:
Theme probably doesn't even come to mind or is of no importance. Think about it, if the mechanics of the game is all there and well thought of, you can put any theme on it even it doesn't fit or makes any sense.

Correct, see Terra Mystica.

Quote:
It's what's in side the box that sells, not the theme. These games are well thought of and lot's of hard work has been put into it to make the perfect masterpiece.

Again, not true. Euro's are not always well thought of and are not all masterpieces. You may want to look up JASE (ill help you..Just Another Soulless Euro)

Quote:
Amerithrash on the other hand, designers/publishers start with theme first, their vision rely's on how can I make a game that people will like. That's why i believe that MOST games that are backed up by large publishers like hasbro, paker brothers, even zman games, cool minis or not etc are considered to me as amerithrash games to a certain extent.

All game designers probably want to design games that people will like and will sell. Regardless of genre.

So Scrabble is Ameritrash?

Quote:
They want volume, sales, the fastest way to make money. How do they do this by using a theme. The stronger the theme the more it will appeal to people, the more they will sell. Once they figure that out, they can use any game mechanics they want, who cares if it doesn't make sense as long as the game looks pretty.

Yes themes sell. You seem to conflate that with the game having to be rubbish as a consequence... not true.

Quote:
That's my take on Amerithrash vs Euro
Let me know what you think.

Play some more games..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tariff wrote:

Depends who you play with.

Be nice people, he's new in town.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

First post is, tl;dr, Eurogames are design masterpieces, Ameritrash games are lazy and money grabbing.

Not the best first post anyone has made...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Tariff wrote:

S.

Well he could get off to a better start by dropping the insensitive pejorative '-trash' from his descriptive non-classification. 'Ami(s)' would play nicely with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody cares
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donlyn wrote:
Well he could get off to a better start by dropping the insensitive pejorative '-trash' from his descriptive non-classification. 'Ami(s)' would play nicely with others.
Except that he didn't say "trash" he said "thrash".

But Ameritrash is the correct term. It was created and adopted by the people who love Ameritrash games. If it bothers you, look to your own. The attempt to rebrand it Amerithrash is just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Tariff wrote:

S.

I'm onboard with this sentiment. We have been coming down on him pretty hard. I'm feeling kinda bad that he's getting the third degree when he's still new. He might not want to come back and play.

On the other hand, he does seem a bit under-educated as to what kinds of games are available within these two umbrella genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We have been coming down on him pretty hard

I really dont think so.

As stated before his whole gist seems to be Euro's=Brilliant, AmeriTRASH=Rubbish.

Now its fine to have that opinion... Once you know what your talking about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfonzo54 wrote:
Nobody cares

And none of it really matters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! I was in here earlier when there was no replies and just left because I didn't think I had anything useful to add.

I guess that doesn't stop people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Damn! I was in here earlier when there was no replies and just left because I didn't think I had anything useful to add.

Im glad you came back to post something useful..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
How I determine if a game is Ameritrash or Euro:

Does it have wooden pieces?
Yes - it's a Euro
No - it's Ameritrash

Ah Great. Now I understand.
My copy of Monopoly (c.a. 1950) has wooden pieces so it is a Euro.
My Daughter's copy (c.a. 1990) has plastic pieces so it is Ameritrash

Funny.I thought they were the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
Quote:

Im glad you came back to post something useful..

It definitely wasn't meant to be useful to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euros tend to be focused on the game
Trash tends to be focused on the players

That's my take on as few words as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
donlyn wrote:
Except that he didn't say "trash" he said "thrash".

But Ameritrash is the correct term. It was created and adopted by the people who love Ameritrash games. If it bothers you, look to your own. The attempt to rebrand it Amerithrash is just silly.

Might have been a typo; I get the parody reply, but other replies converted it to '-trash'.

This user didn't adopt it. Putting down someone's hobby, especially after being asked not to, is a form of bullying. Guess you don't know how to play nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
donlyn wrote:

The term is a shibboleth. It's fully proper, quite descriptive and preferred by the genre's fans. If you're not willing to use it you're an outsider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.