Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
This is a kind of ongoing theory that's been floating around for a while, but the election, and the regional nature of the unexpected shifts really brought it home to me.

To my count there are 6;

Pacifica (WA/OR/CA, maybe west of the Cascades/Sierra)
Aztlan (The inner SW)
New England (natch)
The old northwest (the rust belt and plains)
The Deep South
The Atlantic South.

Each of these had a pretty distinctive voting pattern, so it stood out.

Thoughts? Would you make some other definitions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

I disagree, I think voting patterns are now based on rural vs urban.

NPR has a mark up of each state. For the most part the large metro areas go Democrat and rural counties go Republican.

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/08/501057811/iowa-2016-presidenti...

Which makes sense, you have people in the city who cant really take care of themselves begging for more government and the people in the rural areas who can take care of themselves just wanting to be left alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely feel like there is some merit to the idea.

What do you think about this distribution of "Nations":

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:

I feel like it's not currently accurate to include the 'rust belt' in 'yankeedom' and I'd move the line of 'El Norte' up to 4 corners at least, but otherwise I think it's a pretty good summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
windsagio wrote:

NPR has a mark up of each state. For the most part the large metro areas go Democrat and rural counties go Republican.

Which makes sense, you have people in the city who cant really take care of themselves begging for more government and the people in the rural areas who can take care of themselves just wanting to be left alone.

The first part (rural vs. urban) I think has a lot of truth to it.

The stuff about rural people (unlike city people) being able to take care of themselves/wanting to be alone is silly and detracts from your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
windsagio wrote:

I think Rural-Urban is too simplistic. While we're 100% in agreement about the left/right votign trend you mentioned (if not your editorializing), Urban SF is very different than Urban Detroit, and rural San Juan County (WA) is very different than rural Greenbrier County (WV).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
I feel like it's not currently accurate to include the 'rust belt' in 'yankeedom' and I'd move the line of 'El Norte' up to 4 corners at least, but otherwise I think it's a pretty good summary.

I've spent most of my life living in El Norte (North Central New Mexico and Southern Arizona). I've also spent a substantial amount of time in the Far West (Phoenix, AZ and Provo, UT) and a few years in the Deep South (East Texas).

Tucson feels more like Northern New Mexico than it does the Phoenix area. Because of the very clear cultural divide between the two cities I wouldn't extend El Norte past Phoenix. I'd also create an additional country, Deseret, to account for the culture created by the Mormon pioneers which is distinct from the corporate underpinnings of the rest of the Far West.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
ONE

What a stupid thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
ONE

What a stupid thread.

Yes we're all culturally identical with no strong regional trends at all. To consider how our subcultures different is just stupid and useless.

~~~

Seriously, we need to analyze and understand how our subcultures work and interact if we want to function in general.

It's also directly useful: We can ask questisons like:

"Why were polls very accurate in New England and Pacifica, but so wildly inaccurate in the Heartland region?" It's more likely than not that the answer relates to regional culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
No we are a cultural mish-mash in practically every region. I live in rural (and I do mean RUR'L Oklahoma). Two blocks from me is a guy who retired after being a baritone with an Austrian opera company for 30 years. Down the street are some Mexican-Americans. My next door neighbors are a redneck truck driver and his janitor wife, and a retired teacher/old hippie who taught Russian.

This kind of bullshit is for academics to argue over instead of wondering why they never get laid. I've lived in Texas and California, have relatives I visit frequently in Colorado, Arkansas, Massachusetts, and Puerto Rico. I've stayed in Michigan, Hawaii, and Washington. Sure, there are cultural overtones to how people live but they're pretty much the same all over the place. I know hyper-liberals in Medicine Park, OK, and rabid conservatives in San Francisco.

This doesn't even cover whether someone is of European descent, African, Asian, etc.

Mental masturbation in my view. But if you guys want to play with it, I'm cool with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
It's like you're pitting anecdota against statistics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
Aww, I wanted to make a thread about why the electoral college was bad and that we should abolish it, but this thread hints at why our system doesn't work the same as more singular countries and would give it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Symmetrical Docking wrote:
Aww, I wanted to make a thread about why the electoral college was bad and that we should abolish it, but this thread hints at why our system doesn't work the same as more singular countries and would give it away. :(

IMO do it anyways. The current system is madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:

Here's a thought, don't include Canada in your US jigsaw puzzle. We only resemble you from the outside, but on the inside even our conservatives (of which I am one) are far to the liberal/left of all but your fringiest Democrats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.