Hide
12 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Corrections and Explanations compilation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Crawford
msg tools
I wanted to make this thread in order to compile corrections to the rule books / scenarios, and also to compile more in-depth explanations for common questions, especially as explained by game designer Kevin Wilson himself and the official errate/faq.

Corrections

Rulebook

Quote:
Line of Sight
The Line of Sight diagram is wrong. Both Foot Clan Ninjas on the bottom row of the diagram should be moved 1 square to the right.

Game setup
In setup step 6, it should be stated that the first mission has a -2 skill, not -1. As a result, the recommended skills are revised as follows:

Donnie: (1 move) Spin Attack
Leo: (2 moves) Leaping Strike and I'll Hold Them Off!
Mikey: (1 move) I'll Throw You!
Raph: (no moves)

Action Icons
In the back of the rulebook, shurikens should be used to attack 'non-adjacent' enemies, not enemies at least 2 spaces away.

Figures 1 space away that are not "adjacent" (such as from an elevation change) are valid ranged strike targets. For example: if you're on a roof, and a Foot Clan Ninja is next to you but on the ground, you aren't adjacent to him.

Adventure Comics

Comic 1
Quote:
Blocking Terrain card should be added to Battle 2

Comic 2
Quote:
Blocking Terrain card should be added to Battle 2

Quote:
Battle 1: Most of the text is wrong due to a Cut n' paste error. Corrected text should read:

Hero Objective: The heroes win if they are all in the goal (no more than 2 heroes per goal) and are not KO'ed.

Villain Objective: The The villain wins if the heroes gain a total of 2 KO'ed tokens.

If the Heroes Win: The heroes buy enough time to call for help and then slip into the sewers. Proceed to Battle 2. The heroes may call upon an ally for Battle 2.

If the Villain Wins: The heroes are too pressed for time to do anything but flee. Proceed to Battle 2.

Quote:
Battle 4a/4b: Remove Cameras from terrain cards.
Map tile is labeled as 2b on page 36, but is actually map tile 2a.

Comic 3
Quote:
Battle 1: Map is missing a manhole cover on page 6, just below the van

Kickstarter Comic
Quote:
Battle 1: Needs Blocking Terrain card

Quote:
Mouser Panic: Map 4b is mislabeled as map 3b.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crawford
msg tools
Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
When I use Action dice that other heroes have shared with me, are they used up?

From official FAQ, no, shared action dice that you use are still available for the other player on their turn. You both get to use them.

Quote:
Enhanced minions (found in the Kickstarter bonus materials) are removed from the game after defeat. So if that are you Bruisers in the pool, and they're replaced by Bebop and Rocksteady, after BB&RS are defeated, do you still have 2 Bruisers in the pool? Or are there none?

From official FAQ, they would revert to normal Bruisers, so you'd have 2.

Quote:
If I use a terrain move while next to an enemy figure, do I have to pay the break away cost?

From official FAQ, no, the terrain moves are not affected by break away.

Quote:
How do "counterattack" hits like from Mikey's Whirling Shield affect the Mousers?

From Kevin/FAQ, the hero must choose 1 specific Mouser to deal all counterattack damage to, for each time he is attacked.

Quote:
Why don't Rocksteady and Bebop show up in the figure pool of any of the missions (Kickstarter Edition only)?

From official FAQ, the KS versions of Rocksteady and Bebop are enhanced Foot Clan Bruiser minions. This means that you pay focus to spawn them instead of a normal Foot Clan Bruiser, as explained in the Enhanced Minion rules in the Kickstarter Exclusive guide.

Quote:
How does leaping from elevated terrain to elevated terrain work?

From official FAQ, you may only leap when using a special ability or move that says you are leaping. When you leap, do not check for falling until the end of the leap. The intention of this is that you stay at 'high' elevation until the end of the leap, allowing you to leap from building to building. If you don't have a move or ability that lets you leap, you'll have to rely on fire escapes or the climb terrain move to get on the rooftops.

Quote:
Can I attack a target from the roof to the square next to me on the ground with ranged attacks? Does it suffer the +2 range modifier?

From official FAQ, you can attack "downwards" into the square next to you with a ranged strike, because the two spaces are not adjacent. You'll suffer no range penalty when doing so. This is the high ground advantage.

Quote:
Do KO'ed heroes get healing when Chi is rolled?

From Kevin, yes, KO'ed heroes still earn healing when Chi is rolled.

Quote:
In Book 3 Mission 3, Karai is listed as one of the villains, but she's not on the map. Is this a misprint?

From Kevin, she doesn't start on the map. The villain has to spawn her in at the end of the first round or whenever.

Quote:
Can figures at ground level on opposite sides of a building hit each other with ranged attacks?

From Kevin, yes. As the way the rules are written, only blocking and and obscuring terrain will break line-of-sight. Feel free to house-rule this.

Quote:
How does range attacking from low terrain to high terrain work?

From Kevin, attacking 'upwards' onto elevated terrain adds a +2 to the range.

Quote:
The cameras have red borders. Are they considered rough terrain?

From Kevin, the cameras are not considered rough terrain.

Quote:
How do KO tokens work, exactly?

KO tokens are not used to mark when a leader/hero is KO'ed. Rather, they are used to keep track of how many times a character has been KO'ed.

For example, if Leo gets knocked out, he has an opportunity to revive the next round. If he fails, he will get a KO token. If he fails to revive again the next round, he'll get a second KO token. If he successfully revives the following round, he'll retain the two KO tokens.

Example 2: If Mikey gets KO'ed in the first round, but successfully revives in the second round, he does not gain any KO tokens.

Quote:
A villain leader only attempts to revive when an action card is played. So couldn't the villain player avoid a KO token by never playing a villain's action card?

From Kevin, any KO'ed leader that doesn't activate at all during a round gets a KO'ed token anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stone500 wrote:

Quote:
A villain leader only attempts to revive when an action card is played. So couldn't the villain player avoid a KO token by never playing a villain's action card?

Stay tuned for an official ruling on this. Let me know if one is already out there.

It isn't actually in a FAQ yet, but we do have this from Kevin Wilson on the Facebook Group:

"Hmm, yeah, that's a loophole I'll have to patch in the FAQ. Easy enough, though. Any KO'ed leader that doesn't activate at all during a round gets a KO'ed token anyway."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crawford
msg tools
Jhamin wrote:
Stone500 wrote:

Quote:

Stay tuned for an official ruling on this. Let me know if one is already out there.

It isn't actually in a FAQ yet, but we do have this from Kevin Wilson on the Facebook Group:

"Hmm, yeah, that's a loophole I'll have to patch in the FAQ. Easy enough, though. Any KO'ed leader that doesn't activate at all during a round gets a KO'ed token anyway."

Thanks for the info. Updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Mckenzie
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
badge
Gamer and designer www.horizongraphics.co.uk
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, i would rather they just got the rules right first time instead of rushing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
kenzie316 wrote:
Jeez, i would rather they just got the rules right first time instead of rushing it.

Some of the issues (such as the Old Hob KO problem) is not so much that it was rushed but that the playtesters weren't playing like a bunch of dicks trying to screw over their opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crawford
msg tools
Wouldn't it be fair to say that part of playtesting is to discover such exploits? Not trying to be mean to Kevin or the playtesters, but I think it's fair to say they missed this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Troutman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These things happen in *every* game like this. There's always an error in the book. There's always something people missed during playtesting. I'm not sure I own a miniatures game that *doesn't* have a FAQ and errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Stone500 wrote:
Wouldn't it be fair to say that part of playtesting is to discover such exploits? Not trying to be mean to Kevin or the playtesters, but I think it's fair to say they missed this one.

It's perfectly fair to say they missed it. I'm just saying I would never play with someone who would exploit it. Life's too short to spend with people who become jackasses just to win a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Where can I find the Official FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edsounddesign wrote:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/idw-transfer/kickstarter/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Ortiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
donnbobhardy wrote:
edsounddesign wrote:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/idw-transfer/kickstarter/...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.