Hide
6 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overlord unit move/attack activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Angliss
msg tools
Apologies if this has already been clarified, but the rulebook seems a bit unclear on this to me:

When the overlord activates a unit, can the whole unit move, then carry out attacks, or does each model in the unit have to complete their actions before the next? I'm assuming it's the former but the line in the overlord book 'when a unit attacks, all units in that group lose their remaining movement points' creates enough ambiguity that it could be the latter?

Whilst I'm on it, can I point out the absurdity of using the word unit to describe both the group and the individual models in that group?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dickie987056 wrote:
Apologies if this has already been clarified, but the rulebook seems a bit unclear on this to me:

When the overlord activates a unit, can the whole unit move, then carry out attacks, or does each model in the unit have to complete their actions before the next? I'm assuming it's the former but the line in the overlord book 'when a unit attacks, all units in that group lose their remaining movement points' creates enough ambiguity that it could be the latter?

The "most efficient" approach is to first move ALL the minions, then attack with any who can. As soon as ONE of them attacks, ALL of them lose any remaining movement points. Minions MAY be moved by spending gems, even after they attack, but this cost must be paid per-unit-figure, and each can be moved a maximum extra distance equal to its original movement value.

e.g. a Minion with 3 Movement can move 1, then attack (at which point ALL figures which are part of that "color group" loses all their movement points), but may then be moved up to 3 additional points (==its original movement value) at the cost of 1 gem per movement point per miniature.

dickie987056 wrote:
Whilst I'm on it, can I point out the absurdity of using the word unit to describe both the group and the individual models in that group?!

Agreed, but unfortunately "unit" is a valid term for both cases in English, depending solely on the scope of the context (which, it turns out, isn't always clear, partially because of this choice of terms!). i agree, of course, that more care should be taken to distinguish between individual units and units as a group (they "should" consistently use different words for both). The rules tend to use the word "character" for "individual model" (be it heroes or OL units figures), but i don't feel that any special editorial care was taken in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
One of my main complaints with the rules is their horrible conventions when referring to things.

It should be this way, or something similar:

Model = An individual figure

Unit = 1 or more models represented by a single Tile. This may be a tile on the overlords Book of Skelos or a tile representing Allies for the Heroes.

Hero = A single figure represented by a detailed hero card, not a tile.

Units are activated by a gem, get their free movement and to attack. Additional movement is paid for BY THE MODEL. Three models going one space extra each is three gems.

I am fairly certain such a convention will be put in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Musketeer_Ken wrote:
I am fairly certain such a convention will be put in place.

As my Berliner roomate is fond of saying: "hope dies last"

Within BGG, yes, i suspect such conventions will organically evolve. i doubt, however, that Monolith, with their rushed timeline for the v2 rulebook (the French edition of which is due "any day now") has had time to implement that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gans
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Along these same lines, when several members of a group are in the same area as a Hero, when activated, do the group combine their dice against the Hero, or are they all rolled separately?

I've been playing separate rolls, but I don't see this specified anywhere in the rules. Did I miss it somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goblin wrote:
Along these same lines, when several members of a group are in the same area as a Hero, when activated, do the group combine their dice against the Hero, or are they all rolled separately?

I've been playing separate rolls, but I don't see this specified anywhere in the rules. Did I miss it somewhere?

Each attack is separate. There is no combination of attacks, neither from OL units nor heroes. Each attack must be resolved to completion (including the decision of whether or not to defend against it) before continuing to the next one. OL book, page 4, provides a summary which unfortunately uses the word "unit", which is (unfortunately) ambiguous in English, as "unit" can mean a single mini or a group of related minis. These rules use "unit" to mean a single miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.