Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more of a "hot deal" but Michael's has Swarovski flat backed gemstones for 40% off. They've got a variety of sizes/colors and the quality is excellent for the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangit. I was just there today picking up some spray primer and totally missed this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Don't buy rhinestones at Michael's unless you absolutely have to have them right away. You can get far better deals on eBay with free shipping at a fraction of Michaels inflated costs if you're willing to wait. Their markup on these types of products is insanely high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
Don't buy rhinestones at Michael's unless you absolutely have to have them right away. You can get far better deals on eBay with free shipping at a fraction of Michaels inflated costs if you're willing to wait. Their markup on these types of products is insanely high.

Indeed. That's why they can run regular sales of 40-50% off and not lose money. My wife worked at a Joann Fabric for a couple years in college, and she said it was ridiculous how much they marked up costs on things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked on eBay...MUCH better prices than Michaels.

But I don't need to buy them in lots of 1000 pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
1000 pieces on eBay will almost always cost you less than whatever Michaels is charging for its tiny package, so you might as well. There's often packs of 100 too, just takes some digging through the listings. Can always donate the excess to your local thrift store or maybe you have a friend who's into crafty stuff and wouldn't mind adopting the extra?

What are you using 'em for? I recently bought some red and black glass rhinestones as upgrades for ruby/ore tokens, not a big fan of plastic pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
1000 pieces on eBay will almost always cost you less than whatever Michaels is charging for its tiny package, so you might as well. There's often packs of 100 too, just takes some digging through the listings. Can always donate the excess to your local thrift store or maybe you have a friend who's into crafty stuff and wouldn't mind adopting the extra?

What are you using 'em for? I recently bought some red and black glass rhinestones as upgrades for ruby/ore tokens, not a big fan of plastic pieces.

I've used the super small nail gems on 40k Marines; on the old metal terminators they work great on the belt part. They're also good for enhancing a treasure pile or adding some bling to a shield or other item that may have a magic gem on it. The Swarvoski ones are very sparkly and since they came in 20 packs it's more than I'll use in years. I've thought about using them as the eyes on a dragon too; going to start my Clockwork Dragon and crystals for eyes goes with the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I've done something similar too, though with High Elves instead of 40k Marines. Like the pointy backs because they're sparklier, though you need to pin vice out a hole for 'em. Useful on steeds (for hiding the middle seam at the front of the breast strap) and for decorating shields and armour. Yet to use any on dragons except for an amulet, which isn't directly attached.

Good idea with the treasure boxes, if I ever make any of those definitely will be including some gems. Might make nice mission objective tokens. *ponders*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.