Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Blanthorn
United Kingdom
Weymouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Do players fully heal between encounters? I can't see this anywhere in the rules but would be tough on the next encounter if they couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glitzyguy69 wrote:
Do players fully heal between encounters? I can't see this anywhere in the rules but would be tough on the next encounter if they couldn't.

since it isnt mentioned i would say no.

i feel that would make the game way too easy. i just finished the first easy scenario (the goblin king one) with 2 players and wow was it hard, we finished with 1 hp each, thought we were gonners for sure. good times though.

the game is hard but keep working at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no healing between encounters. No time for taking a break and wrapping wounds when the city is burning down!

The game is indeed challenging, but I have been getting feedback from folks slowly beginning to conquer it. Perhaps we could have been more clear at the start of the rule book that you will be losing at lot at the start. Keep at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Smith
msg tools
Just played this encounter with 2 players. The boss encounter felt impossible I triple checked the rules to see if the boss cards count towards the location threat lvl but apparently it doesn't haha the location burned before we had half the monsters gone(7dmg a turn) then we were easily dispatched by the remainding monsters/bosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Spaulding
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the intro scenario three times, twice with two and once with five, and we've won two out of three. The 5 one was won by the skin of our teeth (everyone had exactly 1 HP remaining).

I've found that you really need to pull the monsters away from the location first thing, taking an extra one or two damage is so much better than everyone taking 4. Taunt is a must to pull the boss away from the defending player, and you really need some punch to get through that 2 armor.

It's rough but entirely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerald Arcana
msg tools
Is this the Drog scenario? Would appreciate some strategy advice. We pulled all monsters off of the location but still died after clearing mist of the beasts but dealing only 13 damage to him.

We did not have enough shields, which seem essential to winning but also makes the game very reliant on the reinforcements deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Smith
msg tools
IMO you can't cycle your deck fast enough to either retire crap cards faster or see the recruited cards frequently enough. And I've tried discarding all acolytes and soldier at every chance I can.

The game out paces you're ability to improve and you can't overcome the boss encounter by this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok i can briefly describe our strategy, we were using fiona and zot. we tried to time our pulling monsters off of the location to have it end with 1 hp. you want to keep monsters on the location as long as you can to absorb that damage while you kill things as fast as you can. taunt is very valuable, if it is one players turn (hence they will take damage) if the other players have taunt they can taunt things away from the main player to save them damage.

in between rounds buy cards to set up a few good turns. make sure to maxamize your cards, if you get a card with a green die or two, dont waste that finishing off a monster, save it for big undamaged guys.

the boss (drog and torgle whatever) is VERY hard. the taunting away from the main player wont work because of the abilities. going into the third round try to have a green die card or two saved, do not use those until you are ready to take on the boss. take out the smaller bad guys by taunting them over, if you damage them while they are at the location the bosses will follow. by this time you will be pretty beat up. the goal should be to take out drog the same turn you call him over. leaving torgle only dealing 1 damage.

when we beat this 2 player we both had 1hp by the end and we thought we were gonners right until the very end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerald Arcana
msg tools
Ah, I'm still working on the Tutorial scenario, the Interrupted Party.

Didn't come even close on a solo 5P game. Trying 4P to see if it's better balanced. I'm not holding my breath though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmeraldArcana wrote:
Ah, I'm still working on the Tutorial scenario, the Interrupted Party.

Didn't come even close on a solo 5P game. Trying 4P to see if it's better balanced. I'm not holding my breath though.

keep in mind a good coop game should have a roughly 40% win rate IMO.

still maybe my tips will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerald Arcana
msg tools
Just tried again with a 4P solo game and didn't come close. Do try playing 4P or 5P for the Interrupted Party and see how close you get and let me know if I'm missing more essential tips - I'm 0 for 4 and haven't gotten close. I think there's something that is incorrect or a wrong version of rules came out to us.

As mentioned, I do taunt immediately off of the location to have it tank as much damage as possible. I'm recruiting into hand to prepare for future rounds, using the location's ability, and focus-firing when appropriate. I'm also taunting.

One thing that might work that I haven't tried is to have Fiona go second and Diedre first. The first player always takes a ton of damage because the party simply has no options to deal with the inflow, but the second player does very well because the first item helps a lot. Because Fiona is the only hero who starts with taunt abilities, she needs to be able to take damage, and if she is second it's likely that she'll have high health.

That all said, if I'm sitting here trying to min-max by player order on the intro scenario, then I feel that this game's way too hardcore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmeraldArcana wrote:
Just tried again with a 4P solo game and didn't come close. Do try playing 4P or 5P for the Interrupted Party and see how close you get and let me know if I'm missing more essential tips - I'm 0 for 4 and haven't gotten close. I think there's something that is incorrect or a wrong version of rules came out to us.

As mentioned, I do taunt immediately off of the location to have it tank as much damage as possible. I'm recruiting into hand to prepare for future rounds, using the location's ability, and focus-firing when appropriate. I'm also taunting.

One thing that might work that I haven't tried is to have Fiona go second and Diedre first. The first player always takes a ton of damage because the party simply has no options to deal with the inflow, but the second player does very well because the first item helps a lot. Because Fiona is the only hero who starts with taunt abilities, she needs to be able to take damage, and if she is second it's likely that she'll have high health.

That all said, if I'm sitting here trying to min-max by player order on the intro scenario, then I feel that this game's way too hardcore.
taunting off of the location means you will take the damage not the location. try to have other players taunt stuff from you so no one takes the damage.

hmmm are you having all players take damage every turn? during player 1's turn the only things taking damage are player 1 and the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Defeating a monster on the first turn seems really doable to me. Player 1 has their main hero and should use it because they will get it right back, that is one die of damage. Unless they had a poor draw, they should have an item for another point of damage. Player two should be able to contribute at least one point of damage from a basic hero, and probably one more from a starting item; no need to hold on to more than what P2 can play before refreshing p2's hand: their own hero and an item (assuming no plus hero effects) holding back more would be wasteful. With just those two players contributing, there is a likelihood of 4 to 7 damage, plus additional damage from the special ability of P1's hero. With a third player, P3 might justify holding onto 2 heroes for use in P2's & P3's turn, but holding back more would again be wasteful, so there is a good chance of one more damage.

In some cases the non-defending players can taunt some of the monsters away from the active player, delaying that damage for later and possibly circle-taunting those attack 2 monsters while the damaging cards are used to defeat the low health monsters quickly. (Note that the ferocious ability makes that monster immune to this tactic.)

I have played the introductory scenario only once, and I admit that we lost, but it was a near thing; an extra two health each would have given us the victory (or an extra 4 damage from somewhere).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerald Arcana
msg tools
Of course it's very doable to defeat a monster on the first turn, but your first hero is going to take the most damage in the set of player turns, and if that first hero has the only taunt items in the starting deck, then you're putting that hero at risk to take additional damage down the line. So starting with Fiona as the defending player is a bad call.

The first encounter overall is never really a big deal, but Encounter 2 with Drog can see monsters do 4+ damage to the hero if you don't defeat or shield, and it's pretty much mandatory to taunt at least one of the non-boss monsters off of the location because if you don't, the location won't be able to tank for more than 2 turns. For the starting scenario, the location's HP doesn't vary with the number of players (always 10 for the Inn) so you get a lot more time to deal with your player monsters and let the damage accumulate whereas you can't let damage accumulate in a 5P game because the active group is fresh every round for the first 5 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
pneuma08 wrote:
Taunt is a must to pull the boss away from the defending player...

It was my understanding that you cannot taunt the boss away from the active player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ema Šturalová
Czech Republic
Šlapanice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
ricomoss wrote:
pneuma08 wrote:
Taunt is a must to pull the boss away from the defending player...

It was my understanding that you cannot taunt the boss away from the active player.

That should be correct, at least for the boss of the introduction scenario, because of the "Ferocious" affix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.