Subject: Picking up and equipping items found from the chests? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So my hero managed to get 2 symbols in the complex manipulation test and the chest is now open. I find an armor.

Do I need to pick it up?
Does picking up cost gems?

Do I need to equip it (put it on)?
Does equipping said armor cost gems?

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always assumed that this was baked in to the manipulation roll --good question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
Do I need to pick it up?

Yes you pick it up for free.
If you don't want to pick it up, you can drop it immediately. Putting the card item in the area.

Mordjinn wrote:

Equipping cost nothing and you can drop as many items you want/need for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Pallantides beat me to it... this time! cool

Mordjinn wrote:
So my hero managed to get 2 symbols in the complex manipulation test and the chest is now open. I find an armor.

Do I need to pick it up?

Yes: Heroes' Book, page 9, section "To perform a simple Manipulation".

CORRECTION: Pallantides says you pick it up for free. i can abide by that, considering that one has already paid for Manipulation to get into the chest.

Mordjinn wrote:

The rules make no mention of equipping/unequipping costs, so ostensibly "no". Per player agreement, of course, it would seem to be a reasonable addition for those wanting to add a bit more complexity.

This game allows characters to freely switch weapons within a single turn, use two-handed weapons together with a shield, fire and reload a crossbow 4 times per turn, and other impossible feats. Just chalk it up to "cinematic" or you might go mad trying to justify how characters can, e.g., swing a sword, switch to a crossbow, reload/fire 3 shots, then switch to a battleaxe to take out a few more enemies, all in the space of a single round (ostensibly covering only 10-20 seconds of "real time").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
CORRECTION: Pallantides says you pick it up for free. i can abide by that, considering that one has already paid for Manipulation to get into the chest.

Yes, its's clearly written in the French rules. You've paid the manipulation to get into the chest so you pick up the item for free.

But if you don't take it by this time and drop it on the floor, next time you will have to spend 1 gem to take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the swift reply. I like that the game is streamlined explosion of cinematic action. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Yes, its's clearly written in the French rules. You've paid the manipulation to get into the chest so you pick up the item for free.

But if you don't take it by this time and drop it on the floor, next time you will have to spend 1 gem to take it.

And when picking it up you can re-organize whatever you're carrying and dropping other items (if you don't want to carry everything)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
And when picking it up you can re-organize whatever you're carrying and dropping other items (if you don't want to carry everything)?

Dropping items is always free. The English edition unfortunately words this incorrectly, saying you can drop "one" item instead of "any items". There is no reorganization needed - all cards you are holding are always "at the ready," and you select, when needed, which to use. (As opposed to, e.g., Zombicide, where you pick which 2 are "in hand" then treat the rest as "in reserve".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Yes, its's clearly written in the French rules.

Sigh... $3.27 million collected and they can't spend some of that for a competent English translation.

Thanks as always, Pallantides. Your replies are a lifesaver for us confused English speakers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't they say, they will make a revised rulebook. So, hopefully, that will make things a little clearer.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
Pallantides wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Yes, its's clearly written in the French rules.

Sigh... $3.27 million collected and they can't spend some of that for a competent English translation.

Thanks as always, Pallantides. Your replies are a lifesaver for us confused English speakers

On their defense (kind of), they probably thought they were hiring a competent english translator. What they should have done is test the english rules, but almost no publisher has this practice (test rules translations).

It was a mistake and I am glad they are owning it.

The problem is compounded because I think the manual is not well written and organized in the original also (which they are also correcting, adding a table of contents and LOS clarifications among other things).

The revised rulebook is really a great move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
It [the translation effort] was a mistake and I am glad they are owning it.

The problem is compounded because I think the manual is not well written and organized in the original also (which they are also correcting, adding a table of contents and LOS clarifications among other things).

Applause to that, but...

zinho73 wrote:
The revised rulebook is really a great move.

The new FR edition is due out any day now, with EN due by "late November" (2016). Their schedule is unfortunately too aggressive for it to possibly include many of the little details which are only now starting to surface here in the forums. As i'm currently on medical leave, i've had an inordinate amount of free time to sit here in this forum and just tap Reload to check for new posts. Almost every day someone posts a new question where i have to think, "you know, he's[1] right - that detail's not as clear-cut as i interpreted it to be in the rulebook." The v2 rulebook schedule will unfortunately miss a lot of that, so we'll have to expect FAQs and/or Errata booklets to follow.

[1] = i have no clue what gender(s) you any of guys people identify with and, quite frankly, i truly don't give a damn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:

You're welcome... and kind because my english is not so...whistle

Just remember I'm no Monolith, but I believe this game is really a great game.
As Stephan Beal (very active on this Conan rules thread - and I thank him for that), I'm just trying to help. Keep in mind I'm not always sure to bring you the good answers. Some rules are debated by french fans even if our rule book seems clearer than the english one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumbsup you & Stephan Beal for all the rule(s) éclaircissement
Thanks ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.