Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: I know it's a computer wargame but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did look over on the video game section of geekland, but no one seems to use it. I was wondering what our grognards think of Hearts of Iron 4. I played vast amounts of HOI III and Really enjoyed it. I have HOI IV and I'm thinking about getting into it, but I imagine the time invested will be substantial to get the most out of it.

So is it worth the effort? I'd love your opinions.

Also, I love the theatre/campaign level of wargame, what might be a good, easily available boardgame for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played HOI IV, but HOI (in several of its variations) was my favorite computer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too loved HOI3 and have purchased HOI4. Not gotten into the latter yet, as I find the interface off putting and the graphics are much less clear. Will try again, though, eventually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play a lot of HoI3 - I find it dangerous now, a bit like Civilization, in that my time is limited and 'a few minutes of play' ends with me going to bed at 3AM.

Not sure how different HoI4 is (other than the UI) but you do need to invest a bit of time to get the best out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody still play original Hearts of Iron (or the Platinum version which is what I have)? I have tried to get into it but the learning curve is steep and more learning resources than just the small manual in the box would be helpful. Mostly I suck at it when I have tried. It does run on my current computer, so maybe I should try it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Hearts of Iron 4. I have every achievement unlocked, I'd like to see more content before I go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Mooney
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
I used to play a lot of HoI3 - I find it dangerous now, a bit like Civilization, in that my time is limited and 'a few minutes of play' ends with me going to bed at 3AM.

Not sure how different HoI4 is (other than the UI) but you do need to invest a bit of time to get the best out of the game.

LOL I've been playing Civ VI and having exactly that problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played HOI II for quite a while and enjoyed it. I used to play Thailand and would get great joy out of beating up on my neighbors until the Japanese showed up. If you prepare well, the Thais can hold off the Japanese. That was my experience anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sunk quite a few hours into HOI3 and HOI4. I enjoy HOI4 much more than HOI3, although they are fairly different. HOI3 required way too much micromanagement for my taste, and while you can still do that in HOI4 if you'd like, it also allows you to really play the overall commander in that you can just give your generals orders and they will implement them.

There are some short (5 minutes maybe?) videos that cover the basics of the system that the developer put out, so 30 minutes or so of watching those will give you the basics and you can jump right in. The UI is overall pretty great so the learning curve isn't nearly as steep or time-sucking as HOI3 was, so fearing a time suck in that regard is unnecessary. Although it is like the Civ series for me in that I just want to achieve my next small goal, but then I do that and want to do the next. There have been a few 3 AM nights because of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Perhaps I will give it a go. Good to hear it goes a bit qucker than HOI3. I often felt I'd been kidnapped by aliens when playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
you can try your hand at this game which is a lot of fun.

Game: War in The Pacific AE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3onHH-cM0JM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Mooney
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claystone wrote:
you can try your hand at this game which is a lot of fun.

Game: War in The Pacific AE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3onHH-cM0JM

I have it ... someday I will play it. I will! I will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have War in the Pacific as well for probably ten years and have yet to try it. I even picked up Plan Orange as I figured it would lead me into the same game but without air and I could understand it easier. I played the original back in 93. I also have the non-Admirals Edition which I will probably play first as I heard you can assign commanders to certain theaters unlike the AE. Gosh I also have Uncommon valor which is unplayed too which is only the Solomons campaign. I best get cracking on these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
nickgb wrote:
Anybody still play original Hearts of Iron (or the Platinum version which is what I have)? I have tried to get into it but the learning curve is steep and more learning resources than just the small manual in the box would be helpful. Mostly I suck at it when I have tried. It does run on my current computer, so maybe I should try it again.

I had the same feeling. I've enjoyed a lot of the Paradox designs,
but just felt that the level of detail in HOI was too much. Dunno
if I was playing the original or HOI II. It's a pity, because if
I could pay the same level of attention as I do with EU or Vicky,
I'd be pretty happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
nickgb wrote:

I'd be pretty happy.

Haven't played HOI III or IV, but in the earlier versions you could let the AI handle a lot of the work, and concentrate on what you wanted to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Westie wrote:
calandale wrote:
nickgb wrote:

I'd be pretty happy.

Haven't played HOI III or IV, but in the earlier versions you could let the AI handle a lot of the work, and concentrate on what you wanted to do.

Maybe. I couldn't figure out how to let it play the boring
military details out, whilst I concentrated on the strategic war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
nickgb wrote:

I'd be pretty happy.

I'd highly recommend you try out HOI4 then. The UI improvements help immensely, which lets you get to the important bits much faster and you aren't bogged down with repetitious micromanagement. You get to focus your time more on the actual plans you draw up for your forces to use, your tech priorities, division makeup, and equipment production.

If you love the detail, there is certainly a lot you can dig into deeper, but most of it is not necessary to do well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
calandale wrote:
nickgb wrote:

I'd be pretty happy.

I'd highly recommend you try out HOI4 then. The UI improvements help immensely, which lets you get to the important bits much faster and you aren't bogged down with repetitious micromanagement. You get to focus your time more on the actual plans you draw up for your forces to use, your tech priorities, division makeup, and equipment production.

If you love the detail, there is certainly a lot you can dig into deeper, but most of it is not necessary to do well.

I'll second that. I tried Hearts of Iron III a long time ago and my brain just couldn't parse it.

Hearts of Iron IV is a more EU4-ish Hearts of Iron. It definitely lost a lot of the detail, but it is a lot easier to play.

calandale wrote:
Maybe. I couldn't figure out how to let it play the boring
military details out, whilst I concentrated on the strategic war.

The army/front organization in Hearts of Iron 4 is very specifically designed to deal with this. It's not perfect, I tend to micromanage some of the important pushes, but overall it works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.