Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big deal, say these Russian kids: http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37922407

Excerpt from the link (emphasis is mine):

Officials in southern Russia have been forced into providing transport for schoolchildren after a video emerged of them walking to school armed with an axe to fend off wolves.

Youngsters in the village of Verkhniy Nugush, in the autonomous Bashkortostan region, have to walk 10km (6.2 miles) to the nearest secondary school on a route that takes them through a forest.
A video of the group trudging their way through deep snow, one student clutching an axe, was shared online by their parents.
The journey became necessary after the village's own school closed, and no buses were put in place.

OK; they win. I had it easy as a kid. wow

The article also mentions that since the world has found out about the incident, suddenly there is now a way to get them transportation to school. What a nice coincidence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Britain the apex predator is the badger, a timid, nocturnal animal, so we're not even close to having the same sort of problems.
Oh, and in the summer the news sometimes mentions that an adder bite can give you a nasty rash.

Over to you Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
A video of the group trudging their way through deep snow, one student clutching an axe

did one of the smaller kids say he had a ring? I think I've seen this movie. Though I don't see mention of anything riding the wolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
MABBY wrote:
A video of the group trudging their way through deep snow, one student clutching an axe

did one of the smaller kids say he had a ring? I think I've seen this movie. Though I don't see mention of anything riding the wolf.

Why in the world don't the eagles just fly them all the way to school?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we are sometimes overrun by wild turkeys.

This

Not this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
caracfergus wrote:
In Britain the apex predator is the badger, a timid, nocturnal animal, so we're not even close to having the same sort of problems.
Oh, and in the summer the news sometimes mentions that an adder bite can give you a nasty rash.

Over to you Australia.

Uh, yeah, okay...

Nasty rash huh? Um, I think we've got some, uh... Hang on, there were those... no, and that one's not...

Nope, sorry, we've got nothing so mild as to leave you with only a nasty rash. I'm afraid we start at "dead in an hour, which is welcome bliss after the utter agony" and get progressively aggressive (and non-vegetable) from there.

On the plus side, we don't equip our children with axes on the way to school. We prefer to let natural selection sort things out, and then we send the survivors off to the Olympics. Or the Commonwealth Games. Or the Ashes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
Checking in from Kansas City! One time we had a substitute bus driver who missed my street and my mom had to drive me to school, but not before I had to stand across the street from my house for like 15 minutes and watch the bus drive right on by. It was awful I tell you. I think I got some pollen in my eye. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

Over to you Australia.

OK: Saltwater crocodiles released in school office.

It was a prank

Hilarious! Laugh? - Oh my sides...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can just imagine that conversation.

Bob: When I was a lad, I had to walk to school in a snowstorm...
John (laughing): What? Uphill both ways?
Bob (confused look): No, six miles through a forest with an axe to fend off wolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Ozludo wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

Over to you Australia.

OK: Saltwater crocodiles released in school office.

It was a prank

Hilarious! Laugh? - Oh my sides...

See, where they went wrong was doing it in August. Had they waited for the proper muck-up day in December, nobody would have cared (much...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently engaged in my yearly battle with the magpie family on my way to work.

Er. That's after I've emptied my boots of redbacks and funnelwebs and snake whispered my way through the browns on the front lawn of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pfft, lightweights.

On my way to work this morning I stepped in a puddle. My foot got wet and everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Walking home from school, I once got blindside tackled by a poodle. Don't laugh: it was a standard poodle. (Go ahead and laugh; the friends who were with me did.)

I also used to have a recurring nightmare about an evil 20 foot chicken that waited for me in the yard of the house next door to my school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mb
I walked to school alone from age 6 onward. Today, my students (who are 7) cannot be sent home alone and must have an adult pick them up. I understand why, but when I was a kid, that would have been impossible as my parents couldn't afford to hire someone to look after me, and both worked long hours.

I carried a baseball bat once or twice to beat off the bullies. Maybe an axe would have been more effective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mb
shumyum wrote:
Walking home from school, I once got blindside tackled by a poodle. Don't laugh: it was a standard poodle. (Go ahead and laugh; the friends who were with me did.)

I also used to have a recurring nightmare about an evil 20 foot chicken that waited for me in the yard of the house next door to my school.

I'm not laughing. Poodles are big. AND VICIOUS. Okay, maybe not vicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
shumyum wrote:

I'm not laughing. Poodles are big. AND VICIOUS. Okay, maybe not vicious.
Frounobulax* can be extremely dangerous

*see Zappa, F., Cheepnis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This morning the highway was totally !@#$%^ so I got off at the next exit and took a different route. I got stuck behind a school bus instead..soblue

The damn thing stopped every quarter mile to pick up more kids. I'm like..."are you f'in kidding me, they can't walk half a mile and consolidate a few stops". This one stop was one kid waiting a football field away from another stop. The kid was waiting outside the vehicle of their guardian!! WTF!! dude couldn't drive 300 more yards and wait with them?

In addition to that of course the bus monitor has to get out every time, motion to the kids to get on, walk around the bus and check underneath and get back on, then do it again in a quarter mile. WTF... when I was a kid we were smart enough to know not to get underneath a f'in bus..

I hate modern society so much some times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
surprise "Dag, yo!" WE only had 'contending' with "Evil Clowns" as they 'taunted' all about:
coal
arrrh ~"WE attended school too yet L@@K how 'that' turned out! WTF is with 'magnets' also?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.