Hide
1 Posts

Kemet: Ta-Seti» Forums » General

Subject: Ta-Seti Skill Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitris Siagkas
msg tools
I have recently played my first few games using the path to Ta-Seti module. After every one of those games it became increasingly convincing to me that the assortment of Skills for the Priests weakens the Blue Pyramid as a player choice.

My reasoning behind this is the following :

From the total of 11 Skill Tokens, 8 of them provide effects granted by existing Red and Blue Tiles and 3 of them offer unique abilities. Now, superficially this may seem balanced, since these 8 Skills are equally divided between the two colors, BUT it is their overall power that makes me think Blue loses the competition.

I feel like the Skills that copy Blue Tiles offer much more of that color's unique powers than those of the Red ones. A +1 Blood or +1 Movement can be achieved by quite a bit of sources in the game, as opposed to the unique Legion or Premonition abilities.

To support this intuitive thought we can also examine this from a pure numeric perspective. The combined cost of all the Red Power tiles that are represented as Skill Tokens is 5 [Charge!(1)+Haste(1)+Open Gates(2)+Slaughter(2)] while that of Blue ones is a whooping 9 [Defensive Position(1)+Legion(2, could also count as 3 since it is widely accepted this tile is worth more than 2, but let's stay official)+Defensive Victory(3)+Premonition(3)].

Obviously each game's course is highly dependent on the initial Skill Set-Up, but the way this translates in most of the games I have played is that Blue Colour becomes less coveted. In 2 player games both players can get some of its strong benefits just from the path to Ta-Seti, so they focus on the other colours instead. In games with more players this issue is somewhat mitigated but still not absent.

I have made a balance try by changing the Red Power Skills into effects of Red Tiles of higher levels (like Blades of Neith or Divine Wound) and it seems to be addressing this issue. Still, I think I would have preferred the Skills to include a higher number of unique abilities and not just existing tile effects.

Any comments or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.