Popular Tags: [View All]
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi,
just a clarification - rules say that defeat is governed by the defeat text of the monster. Nowhere it explicitly says that all gear is lost, but thematically it would make sense. However White Lion's rules say he may destroy a gear ... so why he would destroy it all would get lost anyway? This seems like either
1) The gear actually returns ... somehow (unlikely)
2) Lion destroys a piece of gear in the settlement (?)
3) Players can be defeated without everyone dying, rules say either survivors die or the monster (is there a special ability or something?)
4) ??

Thank you!
(of course I'm just about to lose all the settlements gear barring one bone blade atm )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gear is transported back to the settlement. In the case of a White Lion, it will take a jewelry piece from a survivor's gear grid on a roll of...6+, I think? Thematically, the gear may not necessarily be transported back to the settlement but the settlement survivors have had a lantern year to replicate gear while the 4 survivors went out on the hunt. That's why "irreplaceable" gear does not return to the settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoxArt wrote:
Hi,
just a clarification - rules say that defeat is governed by the defeat text of the monster. Nowhere it explicitly says that all gear is lost, but thematically it would make sense. However White Lion's rules say he may destroy a gear ... so why he would destroy it all would get lost anyway? This seems like either
1) The gear actually returns ... somehow (unlikely)
2) Lion destroys a piece of gear in the settlement (?)
3) Players can be defeated without everyone dying, rules say either survivors die or the monster (is there a special ability or something?)
4) ??

Thank you!
(of course I'm just about to lose all the settlements gear barring one bone blade atm )

It basically tries to mitigate the effect of losing 4 survivors and receiving no resources after a failed showdown. If on top of that you also had to lose all the gear they wore (especially at the beginning of the campaign), it can well be called gg-game over. In fact, the rulebook (p.77 "Survivor Death") expressly states that the gear returns.

Exceptions: irreplaceable gear, monster trophies (such as jewelry taken by the lion) or if you play ultra-hardcore "death mode", which turns all gear into irreplaceable gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh, missed that part. Thank you both. It would be really brutal for a default mode I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
NoxArt wrote:
Nowhere it explicitly says that all gear is lost, but thematically it would make sense.

My take on this is the settlement sends out a search party after the hunters fail to return. After all, the settlement is counting on these hunts not only for resources but also for sustenance, and I imagine following the trail of the hunters from the settlement would be simpler than trying to track an animal in the wild. So, in my mind, it goes like this:

-hunt party departs to find monster (possibly leaving some kind of markers to find their way back)
-party is butchered in horrific fashion during showdown
-anxious and starving settlers grow tired of waiting and dispatch a search party, which follows the trail of their former comrades
-searchers find scene of carnage and mournfully gather the gear from their comrades' mangled corpses
-if Cannibalize is in play they also grab themselves a snack for the road

Thus the gear (and maybe some basic resources) make their way back to the settlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose Irreplaceable gear, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
NoxArt wrote:
Oh, missed that part. Thank you both. It would be really brutal for a default mode I guess.

In the rulebook, there is a "nightmare" kind of variant (I forget the actual name), where you lose all gear after a failed hunt.

Thematically, I'd say that a survivor/s were sent to collect the remains for burial rights... or dinner rights (based on the endeavors/resources gained from the respective principles), thereby collecting the gear in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, you can also reason that if you have "two Leather Skirts", you don't actually have the same two skirts that get passed to father to son for 12 generations, but you "developed your settlement to the point that, when hunters go out, they can be equipped with two Leather Skirts". So, there are actually some Leather Skirts around and more can be crafter, but to sustain survivability, you got to do those.

Irreplaceable items are the truly unique items, the ones that get passed through generations.

Otherwise, if you thought that those were the two same Leather Skirts each time, I have lost the count of how many times these got ripped to shreds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tharbkrakens wrote:
NoxArt wrote:
Nowhere it explicitly says that all gear is lost, but thematically it would make sense.

My take on this is the settlement sends out a search party after the hunters fail to return. After all, the settlement is counting on these hunts not only for resources but also for sustenance, and I imagine following the trail of the hunters from the settlement would be simpler than trying to track an animal in the wild. So, in my mind, it goes like this:

-hunt party departs to find monster (possibly leaving some kind of markers to find their way back)
-party is butchered in horrific fashion during showdown
-anxious and starving settlers grow tired of waiting and dispatch a search party, which follows the trail of their former comrades
-searchers find scene of carnage and mournfully gather the gear from their comrades' mangled corpses
-if Cannibalize is in play they also grab themselves a snack for the road

Thus the gear (and maybe some basic resources) make their way back to the settlement.

Dragon King confirms this, IIRC. The person sent to retrieve gear dies of radiation sickness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.