Blood Rage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Call to battle - battle starts WHEN EVERYONE PASSES rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules state that during the call to battle a player can pass and add his figure later on, if there is room in a province.

Official rules do not mention that the battle starts when everyone passes. I keep reading that on these forums and it is incorrect, in my opinion.

What if I pass in order to determine if a player to my left wants to add a figure so he can engage the pillaging player. But he doesn't do so. And then the other two players pass also. And to top it off, there is still room in a province for 2 figures. According to the "until everyone passes" rule the battle must start and I can't add my figures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, by choosing to pass and see if someone else enters the battle you're risking not being able to fight it yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This has been debated endlessly, Id recommend searching the forums for other threads, or maybe somebody nicer than me will post links. But the consensus and/or official ruling said that you can still add people, and there is no risk to passing. The rule also says something like... and nobody else wants to join.
Even if everyone has passed in order, if you decide you still want to join, you can move someone in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the thread where you can find the official ruling, which allows players to join whenever. The battle start trigger only occurs when everyone agrees they don't want to bring more figures in or when there is no room left for anyone to join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
toddpark75 wrote:
This has been debated endlessly, Id recommend searching the forums for other threads, or maybe somebody nicer than me will post links. But the consensus and/or official ruling said that you can still add people, and there is no risk to passing. The rule also says something like... and nobody else wants to join.
Even if everyone has passed in order, if you decide you still want to join, you can move someone in.

Ruling yes, but there's no consensus because at least one person disagrees. The thread kindly linked by Matheus has everything that ought to be said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arry1 wrote:
toddpark75 wrote:

Ruling yes, but there's no consensus because at least one person disagrees. The thread kindly linked by Matheus has everything that ought to be said.

With all the people in the world who follow this forum, Im willing to tweak the definition of consensus here to say nearly all people in the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools

Quote:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean- neither more nor less."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may houserule all you like, but consensus is not a prerequisite for a rule to be deemed valid. The developer has clarified it, so that means it's settled.

If the official interpretation of the rule is not of your particular liking, you may always play as you prefer. That is the beauty of board games after all: no specific knowledge is needed to hack them to one's liking.

The thing, though, is when people ask rules questions, unless they wish to know whether people employ the official rules of not, it is better to avoid causing even more confusion.

So yes. The official interpretation of the rule has been given by the developer, whether everyone agrees with said ruling or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
toddpark75 wrote:

With all the people in the world who follow this forum, Im willing to tweak the definition of consensus here to say nearly all people in the group.

Wait, does it have to be unanimous to be a consensus? I always thought that just meant like at least 70% of people agree with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Dapperghast wrote:
toddpark75 wrote:

Wait, does it have to be unanimous to be a consensus? I always thought that just meant like at least 70% of people agree with it.

Formally, yes, sorta. "Consensus" would mean no one disagrees (which is, to go full pedant, not the same as everyone agreeing - instead imagine that everyone can veto, and no one chooses to).

This is different than some percent being enough to carry the ruling over the voices of the dissenters.

Also note that outside of specific definitions in bylaws, folks will use "consensus" and likely intend something closer to "general consensus", which is much closer to meaning "most folks agree".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, ass arry pointed out, I used the word incorrectly. Basically there is no way to ever have a true consensus on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pier Luigi Rocco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After my first play of Blood Rage I came here to check for a clarification, but I think I will raccomend to my group to houserule, "when everyone has passed in sequence the battle begins", the official ruling is too confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.