Imperium: From Republic to Empire» Forums » General

Subject: How this game compare to Republic of Rome? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi,
I am very interested in theme, and I wonder how this compare to RoR
Someone played it? Which are the impressions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mollineaux
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Stefano,

Regarding mechanics and components, a detailed comparison between Imperium and RoR can be found in part 13 of the rules. The biggest differences are:

1. Simplified rules and fewer details
2. Senate voting procedures have been replaced with applying influence
3. Quicker playing time

There is some mental math involved to resolve some mechanics, but nothing worse than what is in RoR.

I designed it because I've always wanted to play RoR but know that my family and friends wouldn't have the patience for it. We play Imperium fairly regularly and my 13 year-old son always looks forward to it. There's enough strategy to keep things interesting but not so much that it kills the fun.

I would also love to receive some feedback from others--especially if they've played both games.

Thanks for your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Yeah.
I am interested because RoR isn't hitting my table at all so...
So strange there is this lack of feedback to auch project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mollineaux
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suspect that the length of the rules is a barrier for some. If you don't count the examples and graphics, there are about 15 pages of actual rules. They could have been written much shorter but I wanted to ensure the player had a clear understanding by providing step-by-step instructions in a very readable format (another lesson learned from RoR). Each block of instructions is reinforced by an example. The rules are thoroughly indexed and cross-referenced throughout.

My advice for any new players would be to read the rule book first before committing to the expense of printing the components. (RoR is not a game for everyone and neither is this). For the first game, I'd recommend reading through the instructions as you play the first few rounds to nail down the basics. Unlike RoR, the rules remain very consistent throughout the game and can be quickly memorized so that you will soon only need the Player Summary Sheet for reference.

I've been toying with the idea of posting a video to run through an example round. I tend to learn better by watching an example than by reading rules. (But I'm no Rahdo...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.