Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Steel Shield is useless? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not a KD:M pro so maybe I'm wrong but it seems to be that the Steel Shield (and to a lesser extent, the matching sword) is useless? Like it slows down your movement, has the heavy trait which can be a downside and it has a very crappy damage block. Like surely the lantern shield is vastly superior to this in every way? I don't get why it's so bad when it's so hard to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't block, it's effective a second dodge, rather than pre-hit block.

The sword can double sharp and doesn't have early iron, so is more reliable and occasionally far more damaging.

Neither are an auto-choice, but I've certainly used both to good effect. The shield usually requires something to get you back up to movement 4 or the equivalent to be worthwhile, and the sword certainly has better circumstances than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
The shield doesnt require an action to use its ability either. You just spend survival. You could receive three hits and spend three survival to take them all on the shield. Not limited to once per round. But the movement does hurt as Nick stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Handley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing with the shield, is it can block a hit from a trap, because, so long as you do your surge attack first, you still have your basic attack action left, which can be spent since it was not generated with survival and so can be used to block a trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
It also hits nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers guys! Really eye opening. I like that the game is deep enough to make items more than just a simple stat output thing. Clearly I have a lot to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are some interesting touches here and there:
- gear keywords: some events and AI cards abuse "stinky" gear (DBK AI), "heavy" gear (settlement events, PoSun), "flammable" gear (hunt events, DK, some rare gear).
- affinities: auras, number of affinities and interactions go in a lot of mechanics, be them specific to a single monster (The Hand), or more globally (fighting arts, prismatic)
- fighting arts, disorders and secret fighting arts: these interact in a lot of direct and indirect ways with gear, and when not interacting with gear, they unlock a new world by themselves. I personally love Blotted Out Fighting Art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.