Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a few times and loved every second of it. At the end of the game I'm left looking at the species in wonder, reminiscing about the evolutionary story. I can almost visualize an evolutionary tree chart for the games I've played complete with climate eras and "scientific names". Hell, even some visualizations of the species we're evolving! I'm half tempted to make one up next game to map the progress. If the digital version doesn't include something like this, it would be a very welcome addition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be amazing if, in addition to an evolutionary tree, the digital version showed a picture of your species and it would change slightly as you added or removed traits. You could then, at the end of the game, watch your species evolve in a sort of video.

That would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
It would be amazing if, in addition to an evolutionary tree, the digital version showed a picture of your species and it would change slightly as you added or removed traits. You could then, at the end of the game, watch your species evolve in a sort of video.

That would be awesome.

And quite likely a pain in the neck to deal with, from an art assets / animation standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayfarer82 wrote:
CenozoicMatt wrote:

That would be awesome.

And quite likely a pain in the neck to deal with, from an art assets / animation standpoint.

Sadly, we had to drop that idea for that exact reason. It would be difficult to pull off even for a big budget studio. We're not that big...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
yet.

But if production continues on its current path it will definitely be one of the best board game conversions ever made - and that's good enough for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I suspected that. I'm looking forward to it regardless. Just kinda went into ultimate dream mode there for a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric E.
France
Strasbourg
flag msg tools
This reminds me of the video game "Spore", where you could create your own species and see it evolve :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
But if production continues on its current path it will definitely be one of the best board game conversions ever made - and that's good enough for me!

Best of luck and eager to see the final product. I thoroughly enjoyed going through your evolution of species blog post.

domcrap wrote:
Sadly, we had to drop that idea for that exact reason. It would be difficult to pull off even for a big budget studio. We're not that big...

Depending on the goal, it's not that un-achievable... my passion project was to make a multi-platform computer game where characters have a series of unique traits and characteristics which were then used to build a 2D sprite of the character, layering piece by piece in the correct places and order (my avatar is actually a Proof of Concept from that old project). It worked out quite nicely, but alas I never was able to finish the project due to a massive memory black hole in the way I was loading all these sprites and their animations, and then their clothes, height, body-shape, and the massive amount of work I had to do to create every new layer to fit the rest... BUT, when it was working, it looked great. I could see a concept like this working for a game like Evolution, albeit totally superfluous!

An evolution tree over the period with some trend lines showing populations/sizes with some simple icons, etc over time would be a much easier gain. I'm thinking along the lines you'd see in a Civilization game summary. Make it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkiliknam wrote:
domcrap wrote:

Depending on the goal, it's not that un-achievable... my passion project was to make a multi-platform computer game where characters have a series of unique traits and characteristics which were then used to build a 2D sprite of the character, layering piece by piece in the correct places and order (my avatar is actually a Proof of Concept from that old project). It worked out quite nicely, but alas I never was able to finish the project due to a massive memory black hole in the way I was loading all these sprites and their animations, and then their clothes, height, body-shape, and the massive amount of work I had to do to create every new layer to fit the rest... BUT, when it was working, it looked great. I could see a concept like this working for a game like Evolution, albeit totally superfluous!

I can't remember now all of the reasons we dropped that idea after spending several months moving forward with it. I think the main reason is that we didn't think it would be able to communicate the three traits well enough through the visuals, and there would not have enough screen space to have the "Spore"-like model along with representations of the trait cards. We got pretty far along figuring out how to do it with the 17 base set traits, but the thought of the number of exponential permutations as we released more traits was overly daunting. I'm very happy we dropped that idea after only losing a few months on it.

Arkiliknam wrote:
An evolution tree over the period with some trend lines showing populations/sizes with some simple icons, etc over time would be a much easier gain. I'm thinking along the lines you'd see in a Civilization game summary. Make it so.

Talk to Scott Rencher. That's his domain now. The good news is that he has spoken about this sort of thing in the past. I just don't know how high up the list that is compared to all of the other things that we don't have the time/manpower/budget to implement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkiliknam wrote:
An evolution tree over the period with some trend lines showing populations/sizes with some simple icons, etc over time would be a much easier gain.

A simple file, in a published format, capturing the evolution of each species, would be easier again (although it would still take NSG development time away from other work).

Then interested members of the Evolution community (Andre?) could take that file as input and produce whatever charts they wanted. And they could share their work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. :)

The "game" should always come first, let nothing stand in its way.

And as achievable as the layered sprite species might be... it would probably look rather silly and not at all look how a player might imagine it. Like having your favorite book turned into a bad movie (why does this happen so often...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it correct that in Evolution:Climate there are 23 traits and an animal can have from 0 to 4 traits, at most one of each?
If that's correct and I didnt make any mistake, there should be 10903 possible species. I truly wonder why can't you just draw all of them!

Seriously, i guess some behavioural traits are difficult to represent.

I hope to be able to play this very soon!

Wentu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.