Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spells / Stance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
2 doubts came about spells:

1 - some spells have the Lightning icon, that means that i can cast it on the overlords turn... i can do that if in my last turn i had choosen an rest stance?
if i can do that, then proibition to cast spells with the lightining icon on my rest turn does not make sense, becouse i can cast it just as the overlord turn begin to the same effect (mitra's halo for example)

2 - I found another topic discussing about mitra's halo duration, some people said that it is cast and them it lasts until you rest for the first time, and activates again, then you can cast again after recovering the 5 gems... this actually makes the mage the permanent tank of the tem (absorving 2 damage of every atack permanently as you will always have it active) and as it does not wheight so you can just put a good weapon in the mage's hand and make him the "Conan" of the scenario, almost impenetrable as overlord's units can't add dice to atack, making very dificult to past the 2 armor he gets (actually only the elite units have an actuall chance to damage the mage with the spell without being extremelly luck).

This is not what i understood from reading the spell, it sounds more as an "life saving spell", that you cast when the overlod put's units to atack you (the lighting icon permits you to do that), then you cas't the spell to save yourself, and it lasts until your turn, giving you the option to rest and recover gems before with the protection of the spell or just activates, lose the spell and get the hell out of danger...

As the responses i had seen on the other topic did not came from "oficial" sources, i would like an confirmation to how this spell actually works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galahadba wrote:
1 - some spells have the Lightning icon, that means that i can cast it on the overlords turn... i can do that if in my last turn i had choosen an rest stance?

As covered at length in other threads: no spell casting when in the cautious/resting stance. Stance is chosen on the heroes' turn and stays that way until (at the earliest) the next heroes' turn, so if you are passive/resting, you're "stuck" in the passive/resting stance throughout the OL's turn.

galahadba wrote:

2 - I found another topic discussing about mitra's halo duration, some ...

The descriptions from Pallantides (in various threads) are correct (he was a Conan playtester), which i will summarize here: the spell is (necessarily) cast from the active/aggressive stance, and stays in place until you switch from the cautious stance back to the active stance. If you have enough energy, you can keep the Halo up all day long by simply remaining the active stance.

The part of the spell description which says "or until your group activates" applies only when cast by an OL team member (who does not have a Stance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:

As covered at length in other threads: no spell casting when in the cautious/resting stance. Stance is chosen on the heroes' turn and stays that way until (at the earliest) the next heroes' turn, so if you are passive/resting, you're "stuck" in the passive/resting stance throughout the OL's turn.

well i did i quick search and did not found it, thanks for the awnser

sgbeal wrote:
If you have enough energy

The problem is that it is not an "if", you always have energy, as you alread begin with it cast... the diference is that you "rest for 3 gems instead of 5" as you will cast again in your active turn... this makes the mage almost impenetrable, as on average only elit units do 3 damage... the other ones need a lot of luck (or spent gems on rerool) and the mage can easilly do an active defense on these rare ocasions.

this spell seens very overpowered... well, if these are the rules, i will play more times before try an house rule, maybe the math i did is wrong anyways...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galahadba wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

well i did i quick search and did not found it, thanks for the awnser

See, e.g., thread 1662281 (disclaimer: that one's mostly by me, but don't let that fool you - the answer "no" is still correct).

galahadba wrote:

sgbeal wrote:
If you have enough energy

The problem is that it is not an "if", you always have energy, as you alread begin with it cast... the diference is that you "rest for 3 gems instead of 5" as you will cast again in your active turn... this makes the mage almost impenetrable, as on average only elit units do 3 damage... the other ones need a lot of luck (or spent gems on rerool) and the mage can easilly do an active defense on these rare ocasions.

this spell seens very overpowered... well, if these are the rules, i will play more times before try an house rule, maybe the math i did is wrong anyways...

One instance of Pallantides answering this is in (of all places) thread 1669166. His answers are, as far as i'm concerned, the most authoritative around here, with the exception of answers from the user BadKam (who's from Monolith).

Edit: here's a more complete discussion, but the same outcome: thread 1650034. (Note that Pallantides is the user whose answers you want to look for there.)

As far as why it works that way, i can't say - i find it to be a highly unusual duration mechanic, but i also haven't used that spell in play, so i have no useful opinion on it.

In the Clutches scenario, if Haddy is kept shielded (by staying active) then he won't have enough energy to Teleport through the huts to find the princess (which is MUCH faster than waiting on Conan or Shivvy to find her). My personal recommendation with him is to switch to passive/resting for his first turn, to recover all his stamina, and then use teleport to inspect 3 different huts on his second turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ângelo Cossa
Brazil
flag msg tools
I had Just made a test here (playing alone) and you are right

First the spell cost is 3 not 2, só you really cannot rest, as recovering 5 and activating it Will give you a net value of 2

And i tried exanging in game his dagger for conan axe, and while he becomes really hard tô hit, he does not have a good damage output without spending more than 2 gems per turn, and as he cannot rest this is a problem...

He cannot even take the head of the shaman, as with the axe it Will sum 5 weight.

So i take Back what i said, the spell is well balanced blush, it is worth tô take you of bad situations, but otherwise it is better tô spend your gems doind other things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.