Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bjorn (and other readers), Is this legal? Army activates and includes leaders/corps in adjacent hexes. This force is making a linear path straight towards an objective, wanting to crush as much in a single activation. Imagine this as an upside down "Y" with the army and two corps at the bottom "v" and enemy forces in consecutive hexes going up from there.

Army marker moves to attack, as it must go first. It makes an attack and uses Sounds of the Guns to bring in one leader/corps stack.

Assuming victory, the second leader/corps stack moves to this hex and attacks another stack straight ahead and adjacent to the battle just fought. Can the army and its integrated leader/corps also march to the sound of the guns and fight again?

I think that this is legal and probably what's intended with an army operation. I also assume that movement for marching to the sounds of the guns doesn't trigger a forced march attrition roll.

Cross posted from consimworld:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd5833a/2030

Thanks again!
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi Tom. I read your question and the others that came up here on BGG but I just do not have time right now to do them justice. I have been away from the system for too long, played too many other games, and need to do some deep reading first to get back into the mindset of this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Engqvist
Sweden
Goteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Right, I think I am getting back into it now.

First of all, March to the sound of the guns is never movement so does not trigger attrition: 6.11.5.

On your larger question I would say probably no.

While it is true that the Army moves first and then adjacent stacks; and also that Marching is flexible and not dependant on Activation Levels, mp, etc; the "adjacent-to-the-army" rule is still one activation only with more than one stack.

So army moves into combat position but the combat does not start (yet). Then adjacent stacks move, and this is what is in Example 2, end of 5.61:

Quote:
The Austrian Army of the Rhine, with 3 corps in its army holding box is activated. It also activates 2 adjacent corps to be part of the army. The army marker enters an enemy hex and triggers combat. The other 2 corps can then move either to the hex where the army stopped or to hexes adjacent to the one where the army is. In the latter case, this may cause other battles with different enemy Forces, including after interception, or it may allow a March to the sound of the guns.

So if they move to stack with the army, they join it directly in the combat. If not, they can fight other enemies, and perhaps getting other friends to March to them.

We should probably view the army activating adjacent stacks as an efficient way to move them at the same time as the army without needing to spend the mp to pick them up first.

What might complicate things is that the army and its parts may very well be able to continue its activation *after* its combats if victorious: 8.51.6 ought to apply so the army is not penalized for having adjacent stacks to begin with. In effect this may result in keeping different mp scores for the involved stacks, and remembering who lost and who won (if fighting separate battles, again). It is logical to assume that the army would again move first, 5.61.2, after a victorious battle, and possibly continuing the cycle.

Edit: Upon further consideration it would definitely be a lot easier to not allow the army to continue its activation even if victorious, if it started its activation using adjacent stacks as part of its army composition. Argument could be that you do not have the ooomph when spread out to have the momentum that a single stack normally has, so it is a choice: either go alone and be the wedge, possibly repeatedly, or use more stacks and use the shotgun approach and attack more stacks but only once...

In any case the rules are not specific about the adjacent-to-the-army phenomenon. If the reprint ever comes to pass I will have to include that in the updated rules.

Suggestions and ideas are always welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.